Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start grinds?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

hey everyone,

im going into 5th year in roughly 10 days, i had the worst TY ever and forgot nearly everything i learned for JC. Im doing higher level (in everything) at the moment but if im going to keep that up in Irish and maybe maths (it depends on the teacher i get) i think im goin to need grinds. Would it be too soon to start grinds in 5th year? or should i wait til 6th?

Any suggestions for grinds South Dublin ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KarmaCreep

Wait til 6th year, unless your a complete tool. A lot of people seem to panic about the leaving cert after 4th year, in all honesty it's total cr@p imo. If you put in the work from the start you probably won't need grinds. Maths can be iffy but i guarantee that if you do enough work in Irish in 5th year you'll be grand for the leaving. I got an A2 in Irish (needless to say i worked hard). The best advise i can give you is prepare your own notes for Irish for the 5th year summer tests as if they were the leaving cert. I had to do fcuk all work in Irish in 6th year because of that.

The Leaving Cert is about 5th and 6th year. Don't panic before you've even started the coursework for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Omg Omg Omg Wtf Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Already L8ate!!!!!!!!1111111!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Taekwon-joe

When I went into 5th year I wasn't even thinking about the LC at all.
    I suppose it depends. What are you hoping to do after the LC? Does it require allot of points? Maybe get them if you need to get 500+ points and are finding that you are just not doing so great in certain subjects.

Also grinds are expensive. I would wait a couple of months before thinking about them. Learn how to study properly on your own. See how you do in your christmas tests (assuming your school does those) before deciding whether or not you're struggling enough to get grinds.

Myself, I didn't really study until the last 2 months and I ended coming out with 440.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

If you're only getting grinds to help remember the stuff you did before, you don't need hem. Just do a bit of extra work on the side. Grinds are only to help you if you're really finding things though.

I'm a teacher and find it very annoying to see the number of students who pay a fortune for grinds and then do nothing in class. If you are focused already, that's great. Keep it up, keep on top of your work and do little extra bits and pieces on the side to help remember all the stuff TY killed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Don't start grinds in fifth year. They're meant to help you with a subject you are having problems with. You can't know that if you haven't even started the courses yet. After Transition Year everyone will be like you. Just do work in fifth year (homework, study for important tests) and you should be ok. I wouldn't even advise grinds in sixth year unless you actually need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm sorry if I sound cynical about your whole situation, but it's probably because I am.

Needing grinds in 5th year! Never mind needing grinds full stop....

Right, do you homework, listen in class etc etc all that shíte. It'd be no harm either to go out and get wasted now and again maybe try score some birds too, now you might think thats bad advice but its advice that did me no harm at all.

*I'm pretty sure I'm sailing fairly close to the banhammer also after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

If you are going to learn the material, do it. Paying a fortune for someone to read your notes back to you is a waste of time. Maybe it's useful for maths, but anything else is just more confusing notes. Pay attention in class and make your own notes from the textbook.

5th year is also way too early to start worrying about the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

Yeah, jeez, save yourself some money and just do the work in school, there's more than enough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

hey everyone,

im going into 5th year in roughly 10 days, i had the worst TY ever and forgot nearly everything i learned for JC. Im doing higher level (in everything) at the moment but if im going to keep that up in Irish and maybe maths (it depends on the teacher i get) i think im goin to need grinds. Would it be too soon to start grinds in 5th year? or should i wait til 6th?

Any suggestions for grinds South Dublin ??

wait til 6th
    for grinds :
    go to the Institute of Education, sign up for grinds for December and Mid term.
    their business teacher William Murphy is excellent.
    i went to his class for grinds in Apr, got his notes, almost 80% of the stuff in the notes came up in this yr's exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chaotic dream

ok everyone thanks :)

so grinds in 5th year = NOOOOOOO
    i get it

Maths i'll probably be ok in, Irish i'm not sure (my teachers like to explain things in Irish and refuse to translate them) but i'll see how it goes.

Anyway thanks again, i can relax about the whole 5th yr situation now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

The Institute sounds amazing. http://www.ioe.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I think it's worth pointing out that there is a serious amount of people on these boards who get all anal when grinds are mentioned.
    I mean it really depends on yourself at the end of the day, your ability, how you are at the moment in terms of the course and whether of not you think that you can apply yourself (and ofc, what kind of a grade your looking for in the LC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's all well and good, but someone thinking they need grinds before even starting the LC courses is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Forget about grinds. Work away under your own initiative throughout 5th and 6th Year. Get your courses covered and make sure you're absorbing the information. There's no reason to be throwing away your parents money on something you don't need. In place of grinds, make a concerted effort at studying.

It worked for me anyways. Over the past 2 years I didn't waste a cent on grinds and I pulled through the Leaving Cert with 540 points in tow. And its not like I'm naturally intelligent or have some mysterious learning power that grinds people lack. Its because I worked hard, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Yea put grinds to the back of your head until 6th year....and even then think carefully first.

There is no point in getting them in 5th year. Your own hard work will get you through that, and then give you a more honest view of what you might need extra help in come next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chaotic dream

ok, i was just wondering. im interested in Computer graphics an games,(for college) im also i bit of a perfectionist so i want to get high points regardless as to whether i need them or not. No one i know really knows /cares that much about the Leaving so i wanted outside opinions.

Advertisement