Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So newbies...what courses are ye doin??

• 21-08-2007 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Just as a matter of interest???

It seems demand in my own course (business) seems to have dropped seriously and peaked in 2005 when i started judging by the points.

Anyhow, welcome to UL!!

I'm one of your senior guides this year so fortunately for all of you it's my job to be nice to you;) ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

im going doing economics and sociology :D:D

hahaha see ya round!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Law & Accounting pour moi.

I'll be a Laccy or so I believe patrons of this course are called. Saw Kilmurray the other day....two words: Glorified Trabolgan. The craic better be unreal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

digital media design
    two words: Glorified Trabolgan

have you seen any other on campus accom??? they are all the same tbh at least killmurry is the same as ucd's dcus and trinities but i agree iwth you i wouldnt live in a place like that if i wasn't a student however i wouldnt treat anywhere else like i have a feeling that place is going to be treated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Meh, the lino floors weren't very appealing tbh and the fridge/freezer/cooker/couch/telly is ridiculously small if 8 people are gonna be living there. In fact with only 2 toilets I fail to see how 8 people are actually gonna live there peacefully.

But I'm sure it'll be fine. Anyways see ya in the Stables freshers week, town is gonna be mad craic that week if Limerick win the All-Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Anyone starting Comp Sys? My whatever god you pray to have mercy on your soul :)

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cson wrote:
    Meh, the lino floors weren't very appealing tbh and the fridge/freezer/cooker/couch/telly is ridiculously small if 8 people are gonna be living there. In fact with only 2 toilets I fail to see how 8 people are actually gonna live there peacefully.

But I'm sure it'll be fine. Anyways see ya in the Stables freshers week, town is gonna be mad craic that week if Limerick win the All-Ireland.

whaddya mean IF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

seriously, wait until you get there...it really doesn't matter, you'll have the best year of your life so far!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Don't be moaning about the standard of accommodation anywhere in UL. It's the best in the country and you'll have an excellent time living there, especially in Kilmurry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Actually OP slightly off topic but there is no Orientation Guide positions still going is there since your "Senior" and all you might know:D Im only looking to be a yellow shirt so there might have been a couple of drop outs! Iv done it the last few years but im on CoOp now so I forgot to apply on time this year. Tis usually a good laugh and an extra few €€ before college starts

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Applied Languages for me, should be good, been in France all summer so that helps! Cant wait to start, UL looks like great craic! Any tips for us newbies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Ahh, that time of year again...I'll be in my usual position in the SU as the guide in there. w00t!

Advice for newbies: aim to go out with people other than those you live with before the end of week 1; join a club or society or write for the paper or become a class rep - get involved in something; have fun...lots of fun :D

See y'all week 0!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PearlsOfLight

European Studies! Anyone here joining me?

Ahh, that time of year again...I'll be in my usual position in the SU as the guide in there. w00t!

Advice for newbies: aim to go out with people other than those you live with before the end of week 1; join a club or society or write for the paper or become a class rep - get involved in something; have fun...lots of fun :D

See y'all week 0!
    Will your voice hold out this year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 truegreen

Yep, it's European studies for me too! Just reading our schedule for Orientation Week now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

New media and english for me.

truegreen wrote:
    Yep, it's European studies for me too! Just reading our schedule for Orientation Week now...

I know, I got mine today!! Quite a doorstopper of things there! Do we REALLY have to wear our uniforms to the Fresher's Ball??
    Did anyone here confirms their accommodation by text? I did on Monday, but I haven't got anything back. Should I send an e-mail aswell, just to be sure?

I thought the freshers ball was some kind of gown affair, or maybe Im thinking of some other ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woop_woop

truegreen wrote:
    Just reading our schedule for Orientation Week now...
    i am doin international insurance nd european studies. wats this schedule ye on bout should every1 b gettin them..

Mackleton wrote:
    I thought the freshers ball was some kind of gown affair, or maybe Im thinking of some other ball?

DEAR GOD NO!!!!

Girls: tight white blouse/shirt and tie with the shortest possible skirt

guys: Blue/washout jeans and shirt with any tie really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ninty9er wrote:
    DEAR GOD NO!!!!

Girls: tight white blouse/shirt and tie with the shortest possible skirt

guys: Blue/washout jeans and shirt with any tie really

when is the freshers ball???

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote:
    when is the freshers ball???

haven't seen the timetable but likely tues/wednesday week 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

God help you, did this for a year and nearly lost my mind! Stay away from history, definitely do politics though if this guy is still teaching it. Far and away the most enjoyable lectures I have ever been to.

Edit: I have a years worth of first year essays (ranging from A3-D2) if anyone requires "study aids"

I know, I got mine today!! Quite a doorstopper of things there! Do we REALLY have to wear our uniforms to the Fresher's Ball??
    Did anyone here confirms their accommodation by text? I did on Monday, but I haven't got anything back. Should I send an e-mail aswell, just to be sure?

I think the freshers ball is like what ninty9er said - girls wearing really short skirts, white shirt etc and guys wearing jeans and shirt. Not much like what my school uniform was like but could be a fun night. Heard it was deadly last year.
    I confirmed my accomodation by text on monday too and then the accomodation people rang me an hour later to confirm by phone that I was confirming my place, if that makes any sense ... :)

bigkev49 wrote:
    God help you, did this for a year and nearly lost my mind! Stay away from history, definitely do politics though if this guy is still teaching it. Far and away the most enjoyable lectures I have ever been to.

Edit: I have a years worth of first year essays (ranging from A3-D2) if anyone requires "study aids"

Is the history really hard or just really boring ? I'm tempted to chose it because I think I could get better marks in it than other subjects but the modules sound really dull. I'm definitely doing politics :D ... so these "study aids" ...eh they might be useful :p I mean helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

woop_woop wrote:
    i am doin international insurance nd european studies. wats this schedule ye on bout should every1 b gettin them..
    Wow someones actually doing my course:D I'm goin into 2nd year though! Oh ya ninty9er was our orientation guide too.

Was suppose to apply to be an orientation guide myself but I left it too late.....looks like i'll be around for week 0 too....missed the best of it last year cause of the All-Ireland final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cooperguy wrote:
    Will your voice hold out this year:D

Yes...Third time lucky I maintain! It'll be my last time doing it *sniff, sniff*

I'm stretching the vocal cords already

Does this sound familiar:

"Hi lads, welcome to UL and welcome to the Students' Union. This is your voice on campus, your representation to the University and we're hear to make sure that your opinion is heard....."

:D:D:D:D
    truegreen wrote:
    Is the history really hard or just really boring ? I'm tempted to chose it because I think I could get better marks in it than other subjects but the modules sound really dull. I'm definitely doing politics :D ... so these "study aids" ...eh they might be useful :p I mean helpful!

History at third level is not easy...don't choose it because you think you'll get better marks in it: you won't! I guarantee you! It's a lot of work and takes a lot of dedication, but in saying that if you do really like history then pick it. The history department has just overhauled its entire selection of history modules as well to make them more accessible and taught in chronological order which will mean a better overall course over your four years. Don't mind the module titles - they hardly ever reflect the content - and particularly those of the new modules. There are some pretty decent history lecturers who are really interested and keen in their subject, which makes it easier to study.

If you'd prefer an easier route choose sociology; it still requires work but it rewards effort and isn't as frustrating. Politics in first year - I didn't like the first semester module, but second semester is with Luke Ashworth and is a very enjoyable module. If you did economics for the Leaving Cert and did well/liked it in any way, then choose this elective; it's the LC syllabus pretty much and easy to get good grades in if you know your stuff. Don't know about law - not an option for my course - but I've heard it's a lot of work.

Basically, there aren't 'easy' or 'hard' subjects in college - there will always be a bitch of a module that is impossible with an idiot of a lecturer at some point over your four years no matter what electives you choose. Choose what you think you'd be interested in.

I'm going into *gasp* 4th year *gasp, gasp* HPSS, which has pretty much the same options as Euro Studies except we don't do a language.

Edit:

To clarify:
    Freshers' Ball: a chance for new first years to wave goodbye to their school uniforms during orientation week...dress up in it for one last time and celebrate in a club in Limerick
    First Year Ball: a formal ball (ie ball gowns and tuxes) for first years, usually held in the second semester.

Now. :)

Ya I knew there was something formal on the first year calendar. So is the orientation guide always someone doing that course?

truegreen wrote:
    I confirmed my accomodation by text on monday too and then the accomodation people rang me an hour later to confirm by phone that I was confirming my place, if that makes any sense ... :)

I didn't get any texts back, but I e-mailed yesterday, and I've just got one back.

The uniform idea sounds fun.
    I was thinking about History and Sociology, and its a toss-up between Law and Politics, or maybe another Language?

Mackleton wrote:
    Ya I knew there was something formal on the first year calendar. So is the orientation guide always someone doing that course?
    It really depends on the size of your coarse. More than likely it wont be. I did Orientation guide the last 2 years and I did take 2 groups that were from my coarse. However I also took 4 groups that werent on my coarse!!

• Advertisement

cooperguy wrote:
    It really depends on the size of your coarse. More than likely it wont be.

Ya I reckon probably not seeing as the UL site says that only 20-30 people do Applied Languages each year, those figures to be believed?

Advertisement