Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So newbies...what courses are ye doin??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 truegreen

History at third level is not easy...don't choose it because you think you'll get better marks in it: you won't! I guarantee you! It's a lot of work and takes a lot of dedication, but in saying that if you do really like history then pick it. The history department has just overhauled its entire selection of history modules as well to make them more accessible and taught in chronological order which will mean a better overall course over your four years. Don't mind the module titles - they hardly ever reflect the content - and particularly those of the new modules. There are some pretty decent history lecturers who are really interested and keen in their subject, which makes it easier to study.

If you'd prefer an easier route choose sociology; it still requires work but it rewards effort and isn't as frustrating. Politics in first year - I didn't like the first semester module, but second semester is with Luke Ashworth and is a very enjoyable module. If you did economics for the Leaving Cert and did well/liked it in any way, then choose this elective; it's the LC syllabus pretty much and easy to get good grades in if you know your stuff. Don't know about law - not an option for my course - but I've heard it's a lot of work.

Thanks for that info. I studied History through Arts in UCD last year and I hated it but I got A’s in it at the end of both semesters. That’s why I was considering it… but I didn’t apply to transfer to UL to do subjects I don’t like so I suppose, after reading what you wrote, I shouldn’t be considering it because I don’t like History and I wouldn’t be as dedicated to it as other subjects.
    I was thinking about History and Sociology, and its a toss-up between Law and Politics, or maybe another Language?

:eek: two languages? I think one language will be challenging enough for me :p … I’m going to do German. What about you ? Now I’m thinking Politics, Sociology and Law…and German of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

truegreen, if you did well at honours german in the leaving you will find third level easy enough.

Politics, can't recommend it highly enough as long as Luke Ashworth is teaching it.
    Sociology is meant to be a hard enough slog as regards essays and that but ultimately easy enough.
    Law wasn't too bad.

So make me an offer on those first year essays then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Aha!!!I know who you are BlueDolphin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Rineanna wrote:
    Aha!!!I know who you are BlueDolphin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*shifty eyes*

Really?!

*gasp*

*runs away*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PearlsOfLight

truegreen wrote:
    :eek: two languages? I think one language will be challenging enough for me :p … I’m going to do German. What about you ? Now I’m thinking Politics, Sociology and Law…and German of course.

French, Sociology, possibly History, and then Politcs/Law/Spanish... I would love to do German but I'd need a beginner's class.
    Did anyone here do Law or Politics for the four years? Just so that I could get a more in-depth idea about the content??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well German is to be recommended if you did really well in honours and have a grasp of the language. Spanish is the only beginners language at UL to my knowledge (apart from Japanese which isn't applicable in your case AFAIK).

And yes I did indeed guide Intl' Insurace and Euro last year, but just how you knew it was me I'd like to know?? Nearly everyone was from Limerick anyway!!

If your course has a guide you'll get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 superhobo

Digital Media Design. Should be good craic. Any1 got any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

superhobo wrote:
    Digital Media Design. Should be good craic. Any1 got any experience?

im starting this too cya next wed

anyone else doing this would be great to here what you think........unless its negative..that would be quite depressing i suppose

I believe there's a really good group spirit on the course. a lot of last year's first years were part of a group that came to us on the clubs and socs exec to set up a digital arts society...so if that's up and running this year it'd be a bonus for you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another thing, do laccys share much lectures with the business crowd? I've a couple of mates doing business.

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Another thing, do laccys share much lectures with the business crowd? I've a couple of mates doing business.

Back in my day it was Economics,Law and Maths, but AFAIK the latter 2 have been dropped from the Business course since last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

Anyone else doing Economics and Sociology>????

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

ninty9er wrote:
    Well German is to be recommended if you did really well in honours and have a grasp of the language. Spanish is the only beginners language at UL to my knowledge (apart from Japanese which isn't applicable in your case AFAIK).

And yes I did indeed guide Intl' Insurace and Euro last year, but just how you knew it was me I'd like to know?? Nearly everyone was from Limerick anyway!!

If your course has a guide you'll get them

No there is advanced Spanish as well as beginners....the beginners do more hours and then join in with the advanced in 3rd year I think.

I cant' remember how I figured out it was you tbh. Could be something to do with your sig although I'm not sure!!

what I meant was that there's beginners Spanish but not beginners French or German

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

ninty9er wrote:
    what I meant was that there's beginners Spanish but not beginners French or German
    Ah I didn't read your post properly....I just after was watching Miss Teen South Carolina on youtube though!!

caesar wrote:
    Ah I didn't read your post properly....I just after was watching Miss Teen South Carolina on youtube though!!

I was on my way out of Waterford on Tuesday when I heard it...nearly had to stop the car in laughter and confuzzlement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

cson wrote:
    ninty9er wrote:
    Back in my day it was Economics,Law and Maths, but AFAIK the latter 2 have been dropped from the Business course since last year.
    It hasen't changed; we (business) share 3 modules in the 1st semester (microeconomics, financial accounting and Business information mgt) and three in the 2nd semester (macro, management accounting and maths) wit law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

Computer Engineering baby! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

So nobodies doing comp sys. Dont blame em really with all the changes they do to the course and putting new lecturers into modules that they know nothing about. Good course but HHHHHHHHHAAAAARRRRRDDDDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

rmacm wrote:
    Anyone starting Comp Sys? My whatever god you pray to have mercy on your soul :)

Cheers
    Rory

Agreed! Its RAPE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Y2J_MUFC wrote:
    Agreed! Its RAPE!

I wouldn't go that far......I managed to survive it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

meanturtle wrote:
    So nobodies doing comp sys. Dont blame em really with all the changes they do to the course and putting new lecturers into modules that they know nothing about. Good course but HHHHHHHHHAAAAARRRRRDDDDD

So long as Paddy still teaches DSP and Algorithms, then all is good with the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Peteee wrote:
    So long as Paddy still teaches DSP and Algorithms, then all is good with the world!

DSP is gone from the new Computer Systems.....it may have been moved to one of the other courses. As far as I know he's still teaching Data Structures & Algorithms which indeed does mean all is right with the world :) (well for the most part anyway).

BTW going slightly off topic if someone doing Comp Sys could answer me is the site http://support.csis.ul.ie still available? I've tried looking at it a few times over the last few days and I can't access it from here has it been taken off line?

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Now doing LLB Graduate Entry :)

And saw one of our boardsies at tonights class reps meeting...

klong wrote:
    Now doing LLB Graduate Entry :)

And saw one of our boardsies at tonights class reps meeting...

Who?!?!?!?!?

Um, you actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

klong wrote:
    Um, you actually...
    haha how many more of us sit across tables from each other at things and not know it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

klong wrote:
    Um, you actually...
    pwn3d

Damn the inability of the Interweb to portray sarcasm...:p

I figured you meant me...:p

Was it the blueness or the dolphin-like attributes that gave it away?!

• Advertisement

Neither, probably the stench of HPSS :)

Oh, I meant the...blueness, yes, thats it...

Advertisement