Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 Attacking Players In The World

• 21-08-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

May as well exclude defenders and goalkeepers in order to make this easier!

I'll go with:

1-Kaka
    2-Messi
    3-Gerrard
    4-Drogba
    5-Ronaldo

Over to ye!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

1. Kewell
    2. Evra
    3. Costacurta
    4. Guti
    5. Valdes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why exclude defenders?

1. Kaka
    2. Messi
    3. Gerrard
    4. Sergio Ramos
    5. Ronaldinho

Buffon isnt far away from being in my top 5 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

1.Ronaldinho
    2.Kaka
    3.Messi
    4.Gerrard
    5.Ronaldo (cristiano, not fat fat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kaka,
    Messi,
    Ronaldo,
    Drogba,
    Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eto
    Van Nist
    Kaka
    Ronaldinho
    Scholes

If we're doing the just forwards thing that is.
    I think all of these players have done it at every level. Gerrard And Messi have done it in the big games when it really matters, but throughout the seasons have generally been average. Ronaldo has been excellent throughout the season, but has been average in the big games. All of these players have done it at every level.
    The two behind them are Henry and Drogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Melion wrote:
    Why exclude defenders?

just easier to do it for attcking and defensive players seperately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Kaka
    Messi
    Eto'o
    Ronaldo
    Gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

1. Kaka
    2. Ronaldinho
    3. Messi
    4. C. Ronaldo
    5. Iniesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

1. Kaka :eek:
    2. Ronaldinho
    3. Eto'o
    4. Drogba
    5. Scholes (<3)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thread should probably be renamed Top 5 Attacking Players in the World then?

Anyways, in no particular order, the top 5 are:
    Ronaldinho
    Henry
    C. Ronaldo
    Gerrard
    Kaka

imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

My god i can't believe how many have ronaldo in!!

I'm a huge utd fan but no way is he one of the top 5 players in the world - he was great last season but more so against the poorer teams in the PL he certainly hasn't done it when it counts and is nowhere to be seen for the big games

Maybe in a few years hopefully he will be

My 5:

Rooney
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Kaka
    Drogba

My god i can't believe how many have ronaldo in!!

I'm a huge utd fan but no way is he one of the top 5 players in the world - he was great last season but more so against the poorer teams in the PL he certainly hasn't done it when it counts and is nowhere to be seen for the big games

Maybe in a few years hopefully he will be

My 5:

Rooney
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Kaka
    Drogba

I didn't put him in mine either, but he is certainly close. People often talk derisively of Ronaldo "only doing against the poorer teams", as if it's easy to be that consistent - surely such consistency should be applauded. Granted, his form in big matches is generally poor, but if he maintained that form against the likes of Chelsea and AC Milan he'd be better than Kaka even. And given that's he has continuously improved on every level, I have no doubt he'll be on my list in a few years time, probably with Messi, Fabregas and Iniesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

1. Messi
    2. Kaka
    3. Ronaldinho
    4. Rooney
    5. Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

1. Totti
    2. Ronaldinho
    3. Kaka
    4. Essien
    5. Ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

1. Kaka
    2. Messi
    3. Ronaldinho
    4. C.Ronaldo
    5. Riquelme

Surley everyone's #1 should be Beckham right? Bex is the best soccer player ever, along with Paylay.

If Beckham was playing at Real this season, he'd be pretty close to my list. Anyone who watched him play in La Liga last season would realise how good he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Good God! ... ...Ronaldo (of Man Utd) is certainly NOT a top 5 player. People who think he is have had their minds tainted by the media. I wouldn't class Rooney there either; again, media hype.

Here's my list:

Kaká
    Henry
    Oliver Kahn
    Lampard
    Puyol

I think Kahn may have retired but anyway. Oh, and, nice to see someone choose Valdes; he's a fine GK.

PHB wrote:
    If Beckham was playing at Real this season, he'd be pretty close to my list. Anyone who watched him play in La Liga last season would realise how good he is.

True. I closely follow Spanish football and, last season, he played better than he did at Man U. He was just completely committed to the team and just showed a maturity that he had never shown previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

kaka
    eto'o
    gerrard
    messi
    ronaldinho
    brian shelley;)

I don't see how people can include Gerrard. Despite winning lots of cups, he hasn't done it consistently in a league yet, unlike many other players who have done both. Xavi for example.

Also the PL focus in this thread is huge.

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote:
    Good God! ... ...Ronaldo (of Man Utd) is certainly NOT a top 5 player. People who think he is have had their minds tainted by the media. I wouldn't class Rooney there either; again, media hype.

Here's my list:

Kaká
    Henry
    Oliver Kahn
    Lampard
    Puyol

I think Kahn may have retired but anyway. Oh, and, nice to see someone choose Valdes; he's a fine GK.

You almost had me with the Ronaldo thing, until you chose Lampard...

As an AMC, in a 4-3-3, I think Lampard is one of the best players in the world. His passing is incredible, his goals and assists record is incredible, and his ability to play the right pass is very impressive.

As a MC in a 4-4-2, I think he's a good player, but severely lacking.

As a midfielder with either Mikel, Makelele, or Essien making him look good, well, he looks good. Without, he is shown up for the vastly over-rated player that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kaka
    Ronaldinho
    Henry
    Messi/Eto'o - cant decide!
    Riquelme

I went for Riquelme for his fantastic performances for Boca Juniors in the Copa Libertadores final (which i watched the 2 legs of to get a look at Lucas for Gremio) as well as his performances for Argentina in the Copa America. Unfortunately the opposition discovered that if you stop him, you stop Argentina - a pity since they really deserved it.

Ronaldinho, i know has had a poor season by his standards, but he still has it in him to be the very very best. Pretty much the same for Henry.

Edit> Thinking i might put Eto'o ahead of Messi, since Messi's only been around a short time, though it ahs been a very impressive short time..

Archimedes wrote:

It was Oliver Kahn that got me. :confused: Also Puyol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Kaka
    Henry
    Ronaldinho
    Drogba
    Ronaldo

Although if I could defensive players in there it would be quite different.

PHB wrote:
    I don't see how people can include Gerrard. Despite winning lots of cups, he hasn't done it consistently in a league yet, unlike many other players who have done both. Xavi for example.

Also the PL focus in this thread is huge.

23 goals and PFA player of the year?
    Guy is class, with the exception of Kaka, i'd have him in my team ahead of anyone in the world. Only reason he wasn't two in my list is because of his form last year, which by his own standards, was only good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

1.Gary Breen

2.Gary Breen

3.Gary Breen

4.Gary Breen

5.Gary Breen

28 posts and Henry is only mentioned 5 times.

Are you all on drugs? (stupid pills)

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote:

haha! What's wrong with Lampard? His passing is excellent; he scores goals; he tackles well; he's rarely injured; and his fitness is supreme.

Kevster wrote:
    haha! What's wrong with Lampard? His passing is excellent; he scores goals; he tackles well; he's rarely injured; and his fitness is supreme.

Is this Lampard when he plays with Gerrard and Hargreevs or the Lampard that plays with Makalele and Essien?

He is way too over rated and wouldnt be half as good with a different team. I would have loved to see him go to barca and make a fool of himself.

Its the Lampard whose passing is anything but ambitious, always playing it safe (nothing wrong with that but too scared to try anything audacious), he scored many deflected and lucky goals (I know they all count :rolleyes:) and whose tackling is well below average.

... ...when he play for Chelsea, of course. Any player in the England team plays worse than they do for their club.

Is this Lampard when he plays with Gerrard and Hargreevs or the Lampard that plays with Makalele and Essien.

He is way too over rated and wouldnt be half as good with a different team. I would have loved to see him go to barca and make a fool of himself.

Well, yes, if he went to 'baca' he'd certainly be making a fool of himself considering no such team exists. However, if he went to Barcelona he would not do as well as he does at Chelsea because Barcelona already have top central midfield players. Thus, Lampard would just upset the balance.

Kevin.

Kevster wrote:
    ... ...when he play for Chelsea, of course. Any player in the England team plays worse than they do for their club.

When and if he goes to Barca you will see how good lampard is, when he has to do all that tracking back and marking because he doesnt have makale to cover his ass.

He would embarrass himself and England.

• Advertisement

Kevster wrote:
    Well, yes, if he went to 'baca' he'd certainly be making a fool of himself considering no such team exists. However, if he went to Barcelona he would not do as well as he does at Chelsea because Barcelona already have top central midfield players. Thus, Lampard would just upset the balance.

Kevin.

Where are you getting baca from you fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Lampard's best asset is his movement which is the best of any midfielder imo- largely due to his stamina. Other than hes also excellent at taking free kicks from the sideline, his general passing is only good if theres acres of space in front of who he's passing to.

Also i definately agree with miller's angel about Gerrard. Hes had many a great season, he'd a bad one last year by his standards but so far this season he's been very good so it looks like he's going to have a good one this year.

Anyway my top 5

1. Kaka
    2. Drogba
    3. Henry
    4. Ronaldinho
    5. Ruud Van Nist

Kaka top as all aspects of his attacking game are excellent. Not including Gerrard as alot of his game is his ability to get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Reading dominated against Chelsea for large parts with Lampard playing central midfield. He'll look good when his team have possession. He's nowhere to be seen when the going gets tough. Stick him in the Derby team and see how good he is.

As far as Barca goes. How would he fit in there? He doesn't have the brain to play their fast passing football. He doesn't offer enough off the ball to play central midfield. English players in general don't have great football brains. Scholes does. Rooney too. You just look at Spain and Alonso, Fabregas and Xavi would make more of a difference to England's team than any other type of player. (Ireland, Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland have the same problem - I wonder why).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Though Spain's national team doesn't tend to do too well as a result of having all those fine players does it? I'd say the two teams' problems are more to do with spirit as opposed ability. Too many big names used to winning not enjoying their international football or perhaps each other!

23 goals and PFA player of the year?

10 of which were in the league. 7 in the, quite a few ni the pre-lims so a silly point. PFA player of the year largely due to the amazing cl performance. Gerrard has yet to do it for a whole season like Ronaldo/Drogba did last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Kevster wrote:
    He chokes on the big occasion. He never shows up for England. He is invisible for 88mins but the 2mins he will score or make an assist and he will be a hero (FA Cup Final).

He has a great shot on him, but he shoots ALOT, if Scholsey shot as much as him he would have 40 or 50 goals a season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Henry
    Kaka
    Ronaldinho
    Rooney
    Messi

In that order.

In terms of Ronaldo - he scored as many as Rooney, but had, I believe, fewer assists (could be wrong here). But for me, Ronaldo had the season of his life, whereas Rooney had a relatively quiet season but was as effective. Says a lot in terms of quality, to me.

Nobody shows up for England, nobody, it's irrelvent to how they perform in big matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1. Kaka
    2. Messi
    3. Gerrard
    4. Ronaldinho
    5. Henry

davyjose wrote:
    Henry
    Kaka
    Ronaldinho
    Rooney
    Messi

In that order.

In terms of Ronaldo - he scored as many as Rooney, but had, I believe, fewer assists (could be wrong here). But for me, Ronaldo had the season of his life, whereas Rooney had a relatively quiet season but was as effective. Says a lot in terms of quality, to me.
    I thought Ronaldo was a lot more consistent then Rooney, Rooney went a large part of last season being crap. Yes he got the same amount of goals, but then you'd be expecting your first choice star striker to get MORE then your winger. Ronaldo completely out performed Rooney last season, so on current form i'd say Ronaldo is the better of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I've never seen Ronaldo perform against a good side in a big match. He can dance around bad defenders all day, but when he comes up against Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool he just seems to run into brick walls. For me Rooney is a much better prospect and a better player now too. Ronaldo won't have as good a season this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Kaka
    Kaka
    Kaka/Ronaldinho
    Ronaldinho
    Ronaldinho

R we talking about ability to unlock defences with a pass? Ability to beat a man? Or ability to score goals?

Kaka
    Messi
    Eto'o
    Ronaldinho
    Henry

Honourable mentions to: Drogba, Crespo, Juninho Permbucano (sp?), van Nistelrooy, Gerrard, Scholes, Robinho, C Ronaldo, Rooney and then if they live up to past form then include fat Ronaldo, Shevchenko, Raul and Nedved

I've never seen Ronaldo perform against a good side in a big match. He can dance around bad defenders all day, but when he comes up against Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool he just seems to run into brick walls. For me Rooney is a much better prospect and a better player now too. Ronaldo won't have as good a season this year.
    Ronaldo vs Arsenal at Highbury in the 4-2 win, Ronaldo vs Arsenal in the FA Cup final. Brilliant on both occasions. Would say Rooney performed well in those games too. Neither have performed consistently in the big matches, Rooney has been just as disappointing as Ronaldo.

PHB wrote:
    Gerrard has yet to do it for a whole season like Ronaldo/Drogba did last season

What do you men by a whole season? Every game? Or consistantly over a whole year?

Gerrard does it consistantly for Liverpool, granted some games he is not as dominant as others, but that is football. Big games, small games, rainy days in Birmingham, sunny days in London, he usually stands up to be counted.

The same cannot be said of the two players you mentioned. Particularly Ronaldo. I have him in my top 5 because of his great form last year, but genuinely, i'd have gerrard in any team ahead of him.

To say Gerrard doesn't 'do it' and then praise the likes of Ronaldo and Drogba is beyond belief to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement