Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 Attacking Players In The World

2»

Comments

To say Gerrard doesn't 'do it' and then praise the likes of Ronaldo and Drogba is beyond belief to me.
    Agree about Ronaldo, he goes missing in the biger games (partially due to attitude and partially due to bigger teams being able to afford to double up when marking him).

Have to disagree about Drogba though. He regularly pulls Chelsea out of tough spots. Say what u want about his diving and his attitude but as a player he's excellent.

Fa Cup Final last year, last years league games against Liverpool, Barcelona games last year and the year before, he is a regular scorer for Chelsea, very consistent and a right pain in the @ss for any defender to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

1.Ronaldinho
    2.Kaka
    3.Messi
    4.Gerrard
    5.Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To say Gerrard doesn't 'do it' and then praise the likes of Ronaldo and Drogba is beyond belief to me.

Consistantly over a year. Gerrard will be up for every big game, but he really hasn't performed like he can over a season yet imo (although the way he is going this season that might change).
    I'm not saying I'd have Ronaldo or Drogba in front of them, I'm just saying, what they've done in a league, he hasn't.
    However, what he's done in the CL, they haven't. Both of them have failed to perform in one of the two major playing fields.
    All of the players I put in, have performed in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness, Drogba and Ronaldo are both attacking players who offer nothing to a team apart from that aspect of their game.

gerrard is among the best passers in the world, gets stuck in, tracks back, scores goals, set up goals, he does everything. His performing for a season is about a whole lot more than his goals tally.

we'll just have to agree to disagree though!

Scholes ahead of Gerrard?! Really?! This is a not a 'off all time' thing, talking about here and now.

I'm talking here and now, without a doubt. Scholes next season or Gerrard next season? I'd pick Scholes in a spilt second. Obviously if the choice was for the long run I'd have to reconsider, but if I had to choose who was part of the United team next year it'd easily be Scholes.
    Scholes makes United tick in a way Gerrard never has for Liverpool. Gerrard may well have the ability to do that, and I think if he had joined United or Arsenal he would do that, but as a current player, he couldn't do what Scholes does.

----

As for Gerrard being amount the best passers in the world, I think that's a bit silly. Hell Alonso is a better passer than him. Obviously he is top class, but his passing ability is worse than say Scholes or Carrick or Alonso and imo Lampard. The amount of assists he gets is also quite low considering the amount of through balls he attempts (although whether this is his fault is another question).

Of course he adds more to the team, although I think it'd be silly to give out to Ronaldo or Drogba about that. They are after all, attackers, completely. Both their managers are ok with that. Although Drogba does track back and whathave. I wouldn't criticise Gerrard for not being able to perform the kinds of counter-attacks Ronaldo do, because it's not his job or role. I'm not saying that Gerrard is worse than Ronaldo or Drogba, to be honest, they are all in different positions, and I'm not sure, but the other players, have done it at all the levels, throughout the season, in the big games, something none of those three players can claim to have done.

I'm certainly not judging him on his goals tally, it's just you brought up 23, and imo, that's just a silly number to bring up. Sure Scholes even in his prime got very few assists a season although would weigh in with plus 10 goals a season.

Scholes for me is the best attacking midfielder in the premiership, not a doubt in my mind about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness, Drogba and Ronaldo are both attacking players who offer nothing to a team apart from that aspect of their game.
    Disagree.

While Ronaldo is working, and improving the defensive aspect of his game, it is still weak, so i'll not debate that, but to say drogba offers so little is way off.

Drogba leads from the front, chases down the channels, closes the defenders down, battles for everything. He defends from the front, and is very good defensively on set pieces. He is possibly the hardest working player in the Chelsea line-up and they don't look half the side without him.

Drogba is a player i have really warmned to, he can be a right **** at times, and he can lapse back into the annoying diving mode, but he has improved immensely over the last 2 years and has become one of the best all-round attackers in football, with the massive amount of effort he puts in being the main reason.

Tauren wrote:
    Disagree.

While Ronaldo is working, and improving the defensive aspect of his game, it is still weak, so i'll not debate that, but to say drogba offers so little is way off.

Drogba leads from the front, chases down the channels, closes the defenders down, battles for everything. He defends from the front, and is very good defensively on set pieces. He is possibly the hardest working player in the Chelsea line-up and they don't look half the side without him.

Drogba is a player i have really warmned to, he can be a right **** at times, and he can lapse back into the annoying diving mode, but he has improved immensely over the last 2 years and has become one of the best all-round attackers in football, with the massive amount of effort he puts in being the main reason.
    Dont forget Mourinho wanted to use him as a cover centre half last season as well!

he also wanted to use Hilario, guy is crazy, people should just ignore anything he says.

PHB: we'll just have to agree to disagree about scholes and gerrard. I'd pick Gerrard every time

Yea that was when they were literally down to Terry and Carvalho. I think he was saying that to try to emphasise how badly off his poor team were!!! But he has used Drogba on occasion in that position and he has been very effective mainly cos he's so strong and great in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nunu wrote:
    1. Messi
    2. Kaka
    3. Ronaldinho
    4. Rooney
    5. Henry
    I agree with this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

No particular order:

Ronaldo
    Kaka
    Ronaldinho
    Rooney
    Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Henry
    Ronaldo the Brazilian
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Kaka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

There's a severe lack of Francesco Totti in these lists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ruud
    Henry
    Messi
    Totti
    kaka

No particular order. Dont consider c. ronaldo as having performed in the big games when it was needed of him (cl v ac milan.) Will be very intrested to see how well totti can mantain his performance in the next year.

Id say it will be intresting to see crespo/ibra/cruz/recoba fare out in the inter squad, fighting for a position against an out of form adriano. Could see him quite easily becoming 2nd/3rd or even 4th string in the coming year.

also fascinated how the real (fat) ronaldo will do it milan...

How Totti or fat Ronaldo make into into anyones current top 5 amazes me. Never rated Totti to be honest. I know people do but I personally dont.

• Advertisement

I just still cant believe Scholes was in PHBs, and i thought i was biased?!

Scholes was the best or 2nd best player in the team that won the premiership last season.
    Gerrard was possibly the best player in a team that came a good 20 points behind.

And you can't understand why I'd pick Scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bubs101 wrote:
    There's a severe lack of Francesco Totti in these lists
    yeah for a valid reason

Not doubting Scholes had a decent year last year, but i think, being honest that his performances were over rated due to everyone being all sentimental about him playing again when it looked like he mightnt for a time!

Him in any list ahead of

Henry
    Drogba
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Gerrard
    Essien
    ----christ---i'd almost even say Lampard!!!

is crazy to me

Not doubting Scholes had a decent year last year, but i think, being honest that his performances were over rated due to everyone being all sentimental about him playing again when it looked like he mightnt for a time!
    Agreed.

He had a good season last year, but he was still not close to his best imo - he has been far better and far more influencial in the past. There were some games where he looked like the scholes of old, but not as many as the press made out at times.

Giggs 'suffered' the same thing imo. Had a good start (opening 10 games of the season) then was generally rubbish for the rest of it. People are saying Giggs has been crap so far this season, I see no difference between this season and most of last season.

As for your list, I wouldn't put Lampard ahead of him as Lampard was below par last season imo - got goals but went missing for most of the time and the general job of a midfielder is about more then goals. Also, wouldn't put essien above scholes either, because this is an attacking players list, and essien as not an attacking player imo - he is a midfield battler(and one of the best in the world).

• Advertisement

Didnt actually say Lampard would be ahead of him.

You have my express permission to call me a silly **** if i ever put Lampard ahead of scholes in any list!

True enough about essien as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

gerrard is among the best passers in the world, gets stuck in, tracks back, scores goals, set up goals, he does everything. His performing for a season is about a whole lot more than his goals tally.

eh what?

take off the blinkers for just a second, he's not even the best passer in his team

Gerrard is among the best passers in the world. As is Alonso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

KAKA
    RONALDINHO
    HENRY
    RONALDO

they are the best attakers by a long shot, no qs asked!

MESSI could be best of rest, but i wouldnt be too confidant.

As is Scholes, Xavi, Pirlo etc........ but those lads pass from deep and release the next phase players like Kaka, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc etc, does that still fall under attacking? Cos then u might have to include goalkeepers with Schmeichel esque throws and this thread gets dodgy!!! :D:D

Only jokin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Trilla wrote:
    yeah for a valid reason

And what valid reaon would this be then. Winning the Golden Boot from attacking Midfield, winning the world cup, Being loyal enought to stay with his schoolboy team etc. Why on earth wouldn't he make your lists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

Bubs101 wrote:
    And what valid reaon would this be then. Winning the Golden Boot from attacking Midfield, winning the world cup, Being loyal enought to stay with his schoolboy team etc. Why on earth wouldn't he make your lists?

Because Henry, Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi and Ronaldinho are better.

If you would prefer to have Totti in your team than any of these then i think you should start following cricket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Petrov
    Elano
    Geovanni
    Bianchi
    Johnson

Oh sorry you said the world not the Premiership ;)

In that case

Kaka
    Messi
    Henry
    Ronaldinho (though not as much as he used to be)
    Eto'o

ah in fairness, ill take everything you say with a pinch of salt from now on

he can play a great pass, but id say for everyone he gets right, he gets one spectacularily wrong

I actually can't believe people dont agree with me on this, i always thought that it was well known?! :)

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote:
    1. I would not say it was at.mid - more a forward free role.
    2. Stephan Guivarch or whatever his name is, is also a world cup winner - was he world class too?
    3. Loyalty has absolutely nothing to do with skill.

He wouldn't make my list of TOP 5 in the world for the following reasons:

1. Last season he was very good - but is the first season he has ever got more then 20 goals in a season, while he has been the main man. Last year was the first year he really played consistently to the level he can play at.
    2. Never produced it internationally.
    3. Rarely produces in Europe.
    4. Generally, he flatters to deceive imo - a perennial underachiever.

He is a very good player no doubt, but has never really lived up to the hype consistently - so i would not say he is one of the best 5 attacking players in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I think most people here don't rate totti as they don't watch serie a very often. He was pretty poor for Italy and awful against United last year (though otherwise he played very well in the CL) and thats what people are judging him on which is silly. He isn't imo in the top 5 though.

Gerrard is excellent at passing, can't compare him to Pirloesqe players as he obviously plays a different role, his only problem with his passing is that hes often too ambitious but still his vision is outstanding. His passing has been a lot better than Alonso's recently too.

Gerrards passing has been better than alonsos for at least 18 months

just easier for liverpool bashers to give Alonso credit than Gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I just still cant believe Scholes was in PHBs, and i thought i was biased?!

Scholes was in mine too, and I think with good reason. Maybe I am a little biased too, but if I wanted to build a team around any player in the Premiership right now, it would be Paul Scholes. If I picture myself as a footballer under pressure in midfield, there is no player I would rather have playing alongside me - positionally he is always there to take a pass, to retain possession and to drive forward. As an out and out attacker, he's probably no longer as good as Gerrard or Lampard or even Ballack, but his passing at short and long range, his touch and his positioning are second to none - he is probably the one player at United whose decisions never frustrate me and whom I always want on the ball. Plus he still has a beast of a shot.

It's a bit like Makelele, you mightn't notice it but he is actually directing play and starting attacks. Take Makelele out of Real Madrid and you can have all the Rauls, Figos, Zidanes, Beckhams and Ronaldos you like, you lose a lot in attack. Give him to Chelsea and, surprise surprise, Lampard, Duff et al become world class attackers. It takes real talent to do the job Scholes does. There are many who succeed - the likes of Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona, Fabregas at Arsenal, Cambiasso at Inter, even Essien at Chelsea - but at this moment I think Paul Scholes is the best. I guarantee if there was a World Cup tomorrow, and Scholes made himself available, that Steve McClaren would drop Lampard or Gerrard in a heartbeat. Granted, maybe he's not strictly a "top 5 attacking player in the world", because a lot of his job is defensive as well, but in fairness this thread was originally "top 5 players in the world, excluding goalkeepers and defenders" - and for the latter, he's in my list every time.

I actually can't believe people dont agree with me on this, i always thought that it was well known?! :)

usual problem with liverpool fans, dont worry about it

yea its exclusive to liverpool fans too

rio is great
    hargreaves is a 20 million animal
    carrick is a footballing genius and worth 18m
    ronaldo is not a cheat
    evra is a phenomenal player
    scholes is the best CM in the world
    gary neville is the best right back in the league
    ferguson is the best manager of all time

these are some of the untruths people have to put up with on this site constantly.

me saying Gerrard is one of the best passers of the ball in the world is fairly tame compared to some of these :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Scholes was in mine too, and I think with good reason. Maybe I am a little biased too, but if I wanted to build a team around any player in the Premiership right now, it would be Paul Scholes. If I picture myself as a footballer under pressure in midfield, there is no player I would rather have playing alongside me - positionally he is always there to take a pass, to retain possession and to drive forward. As an out and out attacker, he's probably no longer as good as Gerrard or Lampard or even Ballack, but his passing at short and long range, his touch and his positioning are second to none - he is probably the one player at United whose decisions never frustrate me and whom I always want on the ball. Plus he still has a beast of a shot.

It's a bit like Makelele, you mightn't notice it but he is actually directing play and starting attacks. Take Makelele out of Real Madrid and you can have all the Rauls, Figos, Zidanes, Beckhams and Ronaldos you like, you lose a lot in attack. Give him to Chelsea and, surprise surprise, Lampard, Duff et al become world class attackers. It takes real talent to do the job Scholes does. There are many who succeed - the likes of Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona, Fabregas at Arsenal, Cambiasso at Inter, even Essien at Chelsea - but at this moment I think Paul Scholes is the best. I guarantee if there was a World Cup tomorrow, and Scholes made himself available, that Steve McClaren would drop Lampard or Gerrard in a heartbeat. Granted, maybe he's not strictly a "top 5 attacking player in the world", because a lot of his job is defensive as well, but in fairness this thread was originally "top 5 players in the world, excluding goalkeepers and defenders" - and for the latter, he's in my list every time.

But scholes can't tackle, he's not a bit like makalele. I think he's a fantastic player but if anything Gerrard's job is a lot more of a defensive one than scholes'. Scholes' passing is second to none in the EPL but he's not as complete a midfielder as Gerrard, he was a much better AMC though now he plays a lot deeper in a role similar to Pirlo and he's much better at what he does as his role is clear cut and has little defensive or physical duties (as in making runs etc.- Gerrard's main problem imo is that you're never too sure what his role is as he's pretty good at all aspects of the game. As you said his decision making and composure is always impeccable too, perhaps that comes with the vast experience he's had.

Scholes is a fantastic player, nowadays i wouldn't consider him in the said list for reasons previously stated as well as the fact he doesn't have the legs on him so much anymore- something Gerrard has in abundance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

in order ::

Buffon
    Barthez
    Freidel
    Roy Carroll
    Tony Cascarino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Kaka
    Rooney
    Drogba
    Messi
    Henry

• Advertisement

yea its exclusive to liverpool fans too

rio is great
    ronaldo is not a cheat

these are some of the untruths people have to put up with on this site constantly.

me saying Gerrard is one of the best passers of the ball in the world is fairly tame compared to some of these :)

i know, but whats your point?

other fans over estimate their players so you do it too?

my point is that you said its the ''usual problem'' with Liverpool fans, that we over-estimate our players.

And i'm sure it we do it to some extent, all fans do as you said.

I just took exception to you trying to saying it was typical of Liverpool fans.

Most importantly though, with Gerrard, i do believe he is as good as he is made out to be. Worlds most complete midfielder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Kaka
    Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Eto'o
    Drogba

rio is great
    ronaldo is not a cheat

I agree, but EVERY fan overestimats their players.

Rio makes too many mistakes to be great
    Hargreaves is class, once people actually see him play instead of judging his performances at right back for Engerland in 2004 they'll see this. Robust, tough, and endless energy, maybe not the most technical flair player ever but just what United need.
    Carrick is not worth 18million but he's English and its Man United, thats what happens, Rooney at the time wasnt 28 million either (remember the market....English+big club = HUGE fee). But no not worth 18mil and nothin more than a solid distributor.
    Ronaldo gets fouled a lot more than he dives. Dont forget that EVERY team has a diver.
    Evra has been phenominal in both defence and attack since the start of last season, do u not agree?
    Scholes is the best CM in the world!!!
    Gary Neville has been the most consistent defender in the Premiership for over 10 years. He may be a twat, but he's solid, a good crosser, good in the air and a good leader.
    Not even gonna comment on the last one cos Im sure Itll rage into a Shankley, Busby etc argument.

As for the thread, I still think that the very top attacking players in the world right now are NOT in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

How Totti or fat Ronaldo make into into anyones current top 5 amazes me. Never rated Totti to be honest. I know people do but I personally dont.

Serie A Top scorer & European Golden Boot last season.

Italian Footballer of the Year:
    2000, 2001, 2003, 2004
    :rolleyes:

and the fat ronaldo isnt in my top 5, just a player im interested in seeing how he fares out in the upcoming season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gerrards passing has been better than alonsos for at least 18 months

No great achievement to be honest, but still rate him as twice the player Lampard is. Again though, no great achievement. Would rate Essien and Fabregas as better than either of them, but then again they are different types of central midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I always find it hillarious the way any thread discussing midfield or in general anything always winds down to Lampard is crap, Gerrard is god. Despite the fact that for the past couple of hears Lampard has outscored and out assisted him. But hey don't let stats confuse the issue. The only season Gerrard outscored him was 2001 and that was by 1 goal.

The fact that for the past few seasons he has been either top or 2nd in the midfielder stats in the fantasty fooball leagues also add to the argument of how crap he is. I mean come on, who wants a player that has an incredibly high pass ratio, scores bag fulls and in general never misses a game.

Your all correct lads, he is a dire waste of space and all those punters and ex managers, current managers even are all wrong. The lads on boards have it right though.

As for someone complaining about Scholes come on now. We were getting ridiculous with Liverpool tinted glasses Lampard remarks but to question the best player England have produced in a generation is just bizarre. Scholes in my opinion is Englands best player since Charlton. Gerrard is great but really needs to be shackled more and his passing is too erratic, Lampard is great but Scholes in on a different level entirely.

Essien though I think is the best player in the premiership at the moment. Would Jose cut cut him loose for the love of god and let us see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Attack

1.Kaka
    2.Messi
    3.Riquelme
    4.D.Alves
    5.Scholes

Others: Juninho, R9, Totti, Fabregas & Tevez all came close to making the grade

Defence

1.Nesta
    2.Maldini
    3.Carragher
    4.Carvalho
    5.Vidic

Uknown (Ball Winning & Holding Mids)

1.Pirlo
    2.Gattuso
    3.Essien
    4.Maschernao
    5.Gilberto Silva

Based on last season. Excluding Maldini & R9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kaka
    Etoo
    Roanldo (the real one, not the ponce, this will be his season)
    Ronaldinho
    Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

iregk wrote:
    I always find it hillarious the way any thread discussing midfield or in general anything always winds down to Lampard is crap, Gerrard is god. Despite the fact that for the past couple of hears Lampard has outscored and out assisted him. But hey don't let stats confuse the issue. The only season Gerrard outscored him was 2001 and that was by 1 goal.

The fact that for the past few seasons he has been either top or 2nd in the midfielder stats in the fantasty fooball leagues also add to the argument of how crap he is. I mean come on, who wants a player that has an incredibly high pass ratio, scores bag fulls and in general never misses a game.

Your all correct lads, he is a dire waste of space and all those punters and ex managers, current managers even are all wrong. The lads on boards have it right though.

As for someone complaining about Scholes come on now. We were getting ridiculous with Liverpool tinted glasses Lampard remarks but to question the best player England have produced in a generation is just bizarre. Scholes in my opinion is Englands best player since Charlton. Gerrard is great but really needs to be shackled more and his passing is too erratic, Lampard is great but Scholes in on a different level entirely.

Essien though I think is the best player in the premiership at the moment. Would Jose cut cut him loose for the love of god and let us see him.

I agree with nearly all of the above, only problem i have with lampard is he disappears when games get nasty whereas Scholes gets books and gerrard gets away with GBH.

Lampard great on the ball off it he is nonexistent as CMF not a good thing.
    Gerrard erratic on and off the ball its either a great pass or a red card tackle or a mixture.
    Scholes = God best passer of a ball i have seen in years but knows he cant tackle but still tries, and most importantly (anyone who plays will understand this ) he always wants the ball doesnt matter how many players are around him he always wants it. Unlike Carrick who is great in acres.

OT
    1 Scholes
    2 Maresca
    3 Messi
    4 Xavi
    5 Ndo

An Attacking player isnt a striker imo its the player who dictates the team to go forward. All of the above do that at every possible oppurtunity.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Where are you getting baca from you fool.

Don't get smart with me. I got it from your post, before you edited it.

Anyway, to be honest, I'm not sure about Lampard either, having watched him play for England the other night. I wouldn't put Scholes there either... ...I cannot decide.

If we all lived in Italy, our lists would be different. The same would be true if we lived in Spain, USA, Australia, or Germany. I know the Premier League is regarded as the top league in the world but the best 5 players in the world could very well all reside outside of Europe; but they have yet to be 'discovered'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement