Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA drives appearing as ejectable USB drives

• 21-08-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone had come across this problem before.

After getting a new machine with no OS installed and connecting up my old HDD's, plus a new one I do a fresh install of XP.
    All works fine until I install the chipset drivers, after which all of my HDD's then appear in the system tray as USB devices. I can eject the two non system ones, but obviuosly not the C drive. The HDD's are connected via SATA cables to the Mobo.

Mobo is this one here.

Installing the chipset drivers from the disc that accompanied it seems to cause the problem. However uninstalling them does not rectify it. The drivers are correct as I checked the manufacturers website.

I also reinstalled Windows from a different cd as well just to make sure that that wasn't the problem.

Just wondering if anyone was familiar with something like this.
    Cheres for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

This is not really a problem. SATA has the feature of being hot-pluggable i.e. you can indeed use them like ordinary USB keys.

Once you install those drivers, you can't uninstall em. If you really don't want it there you could try installing the chipset from the chipset manufacturer's website, if it's an intel chipset this may do it:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

You may have to move your hard disks to your onboard SATA connectors (as opposed to additional ports added onto your motherboard by the board manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I was unaware that SATA was hot swapable. I guess you learn something new everyday!
    I'll investigate it further, but I'm sure that the connectors that I've attached the drives to are indeed the onboard lads. I know that may come back to haunt me though.
    Thanks once more.

Advertisement