Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear Problem

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Ive never seen this before or even heard of it but i seen it happen today.

Driving along dual carriageway when all of a sudden the gear stick jumped out of gear and into neutral. Its happened more than once today.

Anyone any ideas? Its going to a mechanic tomorrow but wouldnt mind knowing before i gave it to him anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Are you sure she was in gear properly, it happened a few times to me on a Rover 620, going over railway crossings and the like, it happened when I hadn't got it in gear properly although engaged and driving just popped out and you suddenly rev and nothing happens screaming wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's quite normal that you can take the car out of gear without clutching. Sometimes it takes more force than others. It's a favoured practical joke among some back seat passengers to 'kick' the car out of gear and watch the driver freak out. Not that i'd advocate that behaviour. Anyway, as for the car doing this itself, god knows what's loose, but I imagine something is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It could be something worn or needing adjustment in the gear linkage. Some cars have a bushing in the linkage that wears out and can cause what you describe.

Advertisement