Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market down by the church on Saturdays

Options
  • 21-08-2007 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is the fruit and veg down there a) much better and b) much more expensive than say tesco or Dunnes?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd have to say Yes to a) and Yes to b).
    I buy a bucket of potatoes from the Guy directly in front of St.Nicholas main vehicle entrance and varies from €5 to €7 depending on how he feels! Great spuds tho' and a nice Galway character!
    On an aside to good Galway food the Pea & Potato Curry is bloody magnificent!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I often get spuds and eggs for a few mesely Euro. Well worth it.
    Then a lovely falafel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The smell down there is legend.

The pea and spud curry is expensive, but worth it for a nibble imho, consider it a treat.

Anytime I pop down I always end up buying *something*. Whether it be a curry, some manky cheese, or a nice photo... I prefer spending the few bob on someone who's getting up off their ars3 to earn a living instead of some cnut of an owner of a big supermarket chain

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

po0k <3 mattar paneer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

SyxPak wrote:
    po0k <3 mattar paneer

Heh, either been eatin a dodgy Kebab House or a laced Kebab from Char Grill?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The market is a little bif more expensive, but it's worth it.

Try the crepes, followed by some fresh donuts, if you really want to treat yourself.

For plants for the garden, the guy with the beard along the side of Geraghtys is excellent.
    SyxPak wrote:
    po0k <3 mattar paneer

Is that the new version of Klingon?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love the Samosa from Govindas there and the donuts. Screw the vegetables. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mattar paneer >>>> Samosa, and samosa is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hi,
    Is the fruit and veg down there a) much better and b) much more expensive than say tesco or Dunnes?

Cheers.

a)Difficult to say really,depends on what you mean by better.I think there is more variety,its mostly local produce and fresher too.Having said that i dont think your going to notice any difference in taste.Fruit and Veg market is the same as a Supermarket some weeks it will be excellent others it will be poor.Theres something nice though about shopping there,i enjoy it.

b)Its roughly the same,maybe even a bit cheaper.If your into buying organic then its a lot cheaper than supermarkets.

By the way you have to be there early in the morning to get all the good produce and have the variety.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't think I like that stuff, even though I'm not exactly sure what's in it.
    The tomato chutney with the samosa ftw.

He doesn't sell Onion Bhaji's does he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought this said 'Naked down by the church on Saturdays'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

No, that's on Sundays.

I have to stop buying 6 donuts at a time, eugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Fey! wrote:
    For plants for the garden, the guy with the beard along the side of Geraghtys is excellent.

I second that! I think he drives up from Clare.

Bought a honeysuckle off him maybe 10 years ago. He assured me it was like the wild one but much more vigorous growth, bigger flowers and stronger scent. He was right - it's a wonderful plant - haven't seen as good anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

[Edit] I've said it once and i'll say it again; that market makes getting out of bed on Saturday morning worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Proxy wrote:
    I've said it once and i'll say it again; that market makes getting out of bed on Sunday morning worth it.

Its Saturday mate, the Sunday one is pathetic.Unless you get out of bed on a Sunday morning to buy Crustie beads??

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Whoops, meant Saturday:D No, I wouldn't be au fait with the purchase of such items...:o

Advertisement