Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation - help please!

• 21-08-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...I'm nearly 18 and want to move closer to UCD. I won't get on campus as my commuting distance (about 1 hour 10/15 mins) is too short, and I don't really want digs, so my only option really is to rent somewhere. I know nobody else going to UCD so I need to find other people to share with. How will I go about finding people - ie should I wait till term starts and ask around, or what? I'm really unsure what to do next!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

reddiva wrote:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place...I'm nearly 18 and want to move closer to UCD. I won't get on campus as my commuting distance (about 1 hour 10/15 mins) is too short, and I don't really want digs, so my only option really is to rent somewhere. I know nobody else going to UCD so I need to find other people to share with. How will I go about finding people - ie should I wait till term starts and ask around, or what? I'm really unsure what to do next!

I'm in the exact same position as you. Like literally every single possible detail is the same as my own situation. Dunno what to do :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Both of you start looking for 2 bedroom apartments on daft.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Yeah I've been looking, but so far nothing seems to work for me.....I really don't know what I'm going to do, it seems everything half decent is gone already! I can commute for a while, but I'm going to have to sort something out fairly quickly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

just stick at it and you'll get somewhere

i'm flying over tomorrow to start looking, want somewhere nice and close to motivate me to actually go to the lectures.

obviously daft.ie is the best place. i think the herald has listings on thursdays so look at that and also get down to the student centre and see the accomm officer (gav reilly). he's a very good mate of mine and he'll help you out in anyway you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

same situation.since i m 2nd year now,probably wont get a chance live in campus.if someone need a housemate,feel free to PM:D

thanks for the datf.ie info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 7woohoo7

What if I get a get an entrance scholarship?
    If I live too close to normally get accomodation, what are my chances with one? Would I have to apply any differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Dont just randomly flick through daft.ie, register and sign up for the email alerts. Youll then be able to filter out all the places that are too far/expensive. All suitable accommodation will be sent to you as soon as theyre put up. Makes the whole process way easier. And go to the room-mate database and enter an ad there with your details - thats how I got my place for this year.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    see the accomm officer (gav reilly). he's a very good mate of mine and he'll help you out in anyway you can!

Was speaking to Gavan, he's a legend and really helpfull!

GRR, campus accomodation applications are not working!

They're meant to open at 12 noon today for 1st years who accepted their offer on monday. But it's telling me "You are not eligible to enrol at this point. Please contact your Programme Office for further details."

One registers with your CAO number yes? WHY ISNT IT WORKING :( *sad*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 7woohoo7

How long will it take before you know if you're getting acommodation, if you apply now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

I got in fine..
    Username is cao number, pin is your date of birth..
    When you get to the
    " You are not eligible to enrol at this point. Please contact your Programme Office for further details." screen
    click on "information for students" and then the "apply for accomodation" button is at the bottom of the screen..

RIP-sanity wrote:
    I got in fine..
    Username is cao number, pin is your date of birth..
    When you get to the
    " You are not eligible to enrol at this point. Please contact your Programme Office for further details." screen
    click on "information for students" and then the "apply for accomodation" button is at the bottom of the screen..

Right you are...Thanks for that! I payed my deposit and all so fingers crossed now!
    How long will it take before you know if you're getting acommodation, if you apply now?

Would also like to know this.. The search continues for off-campus loike..

Also, can we register now or wha? €1,000 down the drain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

Question, have you been emailed your receipt yet?
    I've got no acknowledgment of payment and it's startin to worry me, o__O
    I don't think you can register until you get an official thingy from UCD..
    GAh tis all too complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

karmabass wrote:
    Was speaking to Gavan, he's a legend and really helpfull!

aye he's a good guy - he posts on here too

the search begins for me today - in my hotel at the mo ready to pounce on anything that comes up within 5 min walk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

im desperatly looking for accomo. aswell.SOOOOOOO annoying especially cause i live so far away from dun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

p_larkin99 wrote:
    aye he's a good guy - he posts on here too

the search begins for me today - in my hotel at the mo ready to pounce on anything that comes up within 5 min walk :)

*start of the We love Gav fan club*
    Ya

I say commute the 1st week and just look around for an extra room with another person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bigstar97

just wondering has anyone who has applied for campus accommodation got notification if they have it? and do they tell us if we dont get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

Try the notice boards in the student centre as well, that's where I put up a notice when I was looking for someone to rent a room in my house. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

any one here on on campus accomodation?
    is there anything to do here this week? most of my roommates aren't here yet and i'm well bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Im a newbie in ucd and im well bored too, nothing to do really,no housmates yet either.Hopefully things will pick up next week when classes etc start and i can meet newpeople

• Advertisement
Advertisement