Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Controllers, best around?

Options
  • 21-08-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

Hi, first off sorry if i should put this elsewhere or if this comes up often but i cant find the information im looking for. I am getting a new PC tomorrow (well the parts are arriving). It includes 2 x 500GB Samsung HDDs, a 320MB 8800GTS Graphics Card and 2.67 Dual Core with 2 GB of Ballistix RAM (PC8500) and i'm hoping this will be decent enough for a few PC games. To go with that im looking into what i should get as a controller? I'd like to get FIFA/Madden and general sports PC games (any boxing??) as well as a few racing games etc and was wondering what would best suit them? I was looking at the Logitech Rumblepad 2 Cordless Vibration Feedback Gamepad. Is it a good controller in general? How long am i likely to get from the batteries? Would rechargeable be a good idea? If so where is best to get it. What are general prices? I can't seem to find it online from a store that seems ok. Is it as cheap in stores in town? If so, where?

Or on the other hand is it not so good and is there something else i should get. Also im undecided as to what OS i will have on the PC. I'm thinking Dual booting with XP Pro and Vista Ultimate or something similar spread across the 2 HDDs. Are all these controllers compatible with either?

Any comments would be cool in relation to anything mentioned, ie what good games like that are around, is that controller good or is there better and are they all compatible with XP and Vista (ie games and controllers)??

Thanks a lot,
    Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I would have said the X360 joypad (compatible with XP with a free driver and with Vista out of the box) but some people don't like it for sports games.
    Also only the wired one works without buying the wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

mcgovern wrote:
    I would have said the X360 joypad (compatible with XP with a free driver and with Vista out of the box) but some people don't like it for sports games.
    Also only the wired one works without buying the wireless adapter.

I Second That

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

cool, thanks. i'll look into that. Wireless at the mo isnt a definite but just thought it may be handy.

Is this the wireless adatper: http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3299826/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Crossfire-PC-Peripheral-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/Product.html#
    ?
    and then this controller?:
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719731/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Bambaata wrote:
    (any boxing??)

Can't think of any good boxing games for the pc.
    Can anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Bambaata wrote:
    cool, thanks. i'll look into that. Wireless at the mo isnt a definite but just thought it may be handy.

Is this the wireless adatper: http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3299826/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Crossfire-PC-Peripheral-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/Product.html#
    ?
    and then this controller?:
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719731/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

Yup, those are the ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nope.
    But boxing sucks* anyway, so no big deal.

Back OT, you can use the PS3 controller (don't know how to get its Bluetooth wireless working though); or get a PS2-to-USB adapter -- I got mine in GAME iirc.

*opinion

so i can use the PS3 controller? Can the PS2 one be used also? This the right PS3 one? - http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/3308575/Official-Wireless-Sony-Black-Sixaxis-Controller/Product.html#

What wireless device do i need to get it to work? IS the shock featuire at all possible on with these pads? Does the XBox have something silimar (i've never used an XBox so i'm clueless there but i prefer the look of the PS3 one as it seems similar to the PS2 one and i loved it)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Urgh, I hate the PS3 pad, it's dreadful, the placement of the thumb sticks makes no sense and the triggers are just pants.

The 360 controller on the other hand is lovely, just the right shape and the buttons are the right places. My only complaint is that the d-pad just is not up to scratch (you can fix that yourself but you shouldn't have to).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

koneko wrote:
    Urgh, I hate the PS3 pad, it's dreadful, the placement of the thumb sticks makes no sense and the triggers are just pants.

The 360 controller on the other hand is lovely, just the right shape and the buttons are the right places. My only complaint is that the d-pad just is not up to scratch (you can fix that yourself but you shouldn't have to).

+1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Just get the 360 controler, it has some of the best out of the box support for most games on the pc.

Any sports games etc are prob an Xbox 360 port any way.....

• Advertisement

cool, 360 pad above it is so with the wireless receiver!

I looking at getting the wireless control pad, wireless receiver and charge kit but janey mc its pricey. Its €87.47 on play.com. Are their any alternatives. Supposedly there are some bundles. Also what is with the XBox conrol pad design? The directional keys are in the middle of what seems to be swivel buttons for extra control. Does it play similarly to the PS2 one? Is there shock? Would it work on PC?

Controller - http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719731/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

Wireless Adapter - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3299826/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Crossfire-PC-Peripheral-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver/Product.html

Charge Kit - http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719747/Official-XBox-360-Play-Charge-Kit/Product.html

also just to confrim, i presuem i could have 2 people connect via two Wireless pads into the one wireless receiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I have the 360 pad + wireless adapter & a cordless logitech rumblepad.

The logitech beats the 360 with thumbsticks tied behind its back.

whole new outlook on things now, just as it seemed a done deal lol. where'd you get yours? And if you don't mind me asking, how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Well it only my opinion BUT...think it cost me like €30. Picked up in Harvey Norman...I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Bambaata wrote:
    I was looking at the Logitech Rumblepad 2 Cordless Vibration Feedback Gamepad. Is it a good controller in general? How long am i likely to get from the batteries? Would rechargeable be a good idea? If so where is best to get it. What are general prices?

I got this a few weeks ago, it's a super controller.
    Just about the right size and weight for my hands, it's modelled after the PS2 controller. I was always in the mouse and keyboard camp for PC games, but games like X-Men Legends, Ultimate Alliance etc really really need to be played using pad.

Battery life is reported to be quite good.
    One major tip, do NOT leave it in a laptop bag with the batteries in it.
    The movement in the bag jostled the analog sticks and drained the batteries within a few days.

Thumbs up from me.

I think i'll go for it so. thanks for the info man, i might try a friends xbox one in the future but for something i dont like the look of i don't want t pay such a price. How much and where'd u get ur Rumblepad 2?

Advertisement