Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom cap

Options
  • 22-08-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, Quick question; what happens and how do i know ive gone over my download cap with eircom? im guessing it wont let you know and will then charge you! anyone know what happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Quick answer :D

Use BitMeter, it's free from http://codebox.no-ip.net

I'm sure there are others out there, but that's what I use and you can set it for whatever limit your ISP sets and tell it to warn you at any threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jaymanoman

Thanks very much guys! both ways do the trick! Thanks!

mickzer wrote:

Just be careful, it's not as though I don't trust Eircom or anything ;) but sometimes those systems go down (Perlico's is down at the moment and I think BT's as well) and if that happens, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Jaymanoman wrote:
    im guessing it wont let you know and will then charge you! anyone know what happens?

Half-right.

Well, once you pass the download cap, an alarm signal sounds in eircom HQ. Armed Private Police (wearing orange armbands) in Apache helicopters are dispatched to the account's registered address, they storm the premises and use cable ties to bind the criminal (i.e. you). Placing a black canvas bag over your head to make sure you can't see anything, they then rendition you to some third world country (or Mayo - whichever is closer). There they put you in a room that smells of urine - which could be almost any building in that county - attach electrodes to your dangly bits, force you to surf the internet (streaming movies, torrents et al...) and then judiously use electric shock to reeducate you on what a download cap actually is.

When they are finished with you, you are returned to St. Stephens Green in Dublin - even if you live in Cork or Donegal...or Mayo. Months later, when you receive your bill, you are presented with a charge for your excess usage, with additional equipment rental for your reeducation.

In reality, though, for all the times I/my parents have broken our d/load limit on eircom b/band, we have never been charged, contacted or queried. Unless something has changed with the new accounts - or you're really excessive - I think you are pretty safe. It's worth monitoring, but I wouldn't panic over it.

(p.s. Apologies if I came off a bit sarky.....and no offence meant to Mayo... it's one of those work days you'd prefer to be somewhere else)

• Advertisement

psicic wrote:
    they then rendition you to some third world country (or Mayo - whichever is closer). There they put you in a room that smells of urine - which could be almost any building in that county

Actually it's Clare now, Mayo is getting too populated with Dublin and Cork people who never left after re-education :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mickzer wrote:

Thats the way I use it, and I think it's much easier. Bare in mind though that most of the time it will not actually have updated for a good while. But that is good. Eircom apparently never charge anyone for going over their download cap.

Advertisement