Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodlice woodlice everywhere!!

• 22-08-2007 12:23am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭

I'm living in a 20yr old bungalow.

Now for the past 2-3 years, ive been inundated with woodlice...the feckins things are everywhere, on the walls on the carpets in the sinks.

Its never been like this before... so is this a sign of dampness or something else??

There's no sign of dampness anywhere and the house is structurally sound...so i'm baffled:o

any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

might sound obvious but is there damp or unprotected wood in the house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

might sound obvious but is there damp or unprotected wood in the house

well the wooden furniture is new...apart from that the skirting boards but they're regularly painted with no sign of rot..so i don't know:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The dampness is there somewhere. There does not need to be any rot but they do need damp to survive. It could be in the walls or under the carpet, especially as nothing has had a chance to dry out this 'summer':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

I think you can buy a damp meter for under 20e, might be worth it to put your mind at ease. I've found that a few drops of moisture from your "hot" tank or shower is enough to keep them alive, our house has wooden floors with a 1 foot drop to the "proper" floor, i.e. floorboards are suspended over it, you may have a "air" block, somewhere to let air into the cavity, you need this so don't block it up.

The only place I found them was in the bathroom where it was nice and most underneath a "hot press" (a press around the hot tank"), where you air clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have a look for dampness behind sink units and kitchen presses. Woodlice only congregate in damp areas or where ther is rotton vegetative matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Concur with above, there must be a spot of damp somewhere. I have had similar problems in the past, and took a while to get rid of them.

They can also come into your house via small gaps around drain pipes so check they're all ealed up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We've always had a few woodlice around in the house we are in at the moment, never had them in other houses, but we have been here nearly 20 years and there has never been any evidence of damp anywhere. We get loads of them in the utility/garage room but rarely a live one, just dried out bodies which suggests they come in - there are huge amounts of them in the garden - wander round a bit then die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

we have a different problem in the form of earwigs. I thought they had come in some flowers but all flowers have been removed and the house has been hoovered from ceiling to floor and still they turn up only ever 2 or 3 and before anyone says it there not the same 2 or 3

Advertisement