Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf or Honda Civic - I have 15K to spend approx

Options
  • 22-08-2007 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

Going to get a second hand car I think.

I think it will be a VW Golf or Honda Civic

Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Drive both, see what you think. In fact, drive any car that might suit. You might be surprised at what you like/hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

I'd go for Golf!

It'll hold it's resale value alot better for you!

I sold my 1.4 golf last year, after driving it for 18 months and putting almost 40k miles on it, it only cost my €1,400!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Civic is a better car, but drive both and go with the one you like. Resale is good on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

As others have said drive both. The are considered in the same "class" of car although each has their own pros / cons. Without more info on what you're looking for can say anything more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I wouldn't buy either. Look at the Ford Focus, or the 2004 new model Astra(preferably the Club model, the Life one is very dowdy and basic, and lacks some vital safety equipment).

There are some 04 Astras (new models)on carzone at or under €15k, I've just checked.

That would be my choice, or failing that my next favourite, the Focus(or the Mazda 3, which is based on the Focus, well all the bits you cant see are actually the same as the Focus).

Unfortunately I cant post any links of nice versions of either car(carzone isnt working for me at the moment), but I suspect that you should be able to get a 05 Focus for under 15k too(resale value on Fords is usually weaker), and as per the Astra, try not to go for the base LX model, its basic inside and much dowdier than a Zetec to look at.

You should definately be able to find a nice Mazda 3, that came out in 2004, and as it is not the most popular car around, it shouldn't be too dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Ms Inquisitive
    - was that a new Golf or second hand?
    - If new was it a base model @ circa 20k?

I'd go for Golf!

It'll hold it's resale value alot better for you!

I sold my 1.4 golf last year, after driving it for 18 months and putting almost 40k miles on it, it only cost my €1,400!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Golfs hold there value much better other than that theres not much of a difference between the cars so I'd pick the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

1000s of cars at London dealer
    www.cargiant.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I had a 99 Civic Lsi 1.5 for about 4 Years and it was sweet.
    Never had a problem and had a nice zip to it.
    I wouldn't recommend a 1.4 (I found they didn't compare)

Just my 2 cents!

Advertisement