Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary teaching -> lecturing

Options
  • 22-08-2007 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ok heres my dilemma. Last year I qualified with an honours degree in computer science. However, when i was in my final year of that course, I felt like I would like to teach mathematics. So I applied last september to do a 4 year honours degree course in mathematics. [I am going into my second year this september].

However, what I am hoping to do is to get the maths degree, get the h dip in education to allow me to teach in a secondary school and experience whats in like teaching there, and while i am there do a part-time masters in something. If I get the masters, then I could move into lecturing in an IT and experience what thats like.

However, I am wondering whether experience teaching in a secondary school would count as relevant experience in teaching in an IT or a university. Also, would I need any other qualifications to lecture in IT/uni. And would it be necessary for me to get the Masters while im teaching in the secondary school in order to move into lecturing in an IT/uni or would the fact that I would have 2 honour degrees and a h dip in education count more?

Please help because my mind is just going around in circles at the moment and I dont know which route to go.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

To lecture in an IT, you need at least three years post-grad industry experience, plus an honours degree. Seconday school teaching would not count as industry expereince, though I am sure it would give you a slight advantage.

Don't forget to RTFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Janeom

hi,

I have a Ph. D. and several years post-doctoral years of research in various univs.
    I have done a bit of part-time lecturing and have watched colleagues apply for lecturing postions...abliet its in biochemisty not maths.

in my experience the ITs/unis are more interested in the lecturers bringing research funding or potential funding with them rather than good teaching skills. They'll want you to set up your own research group, and will want to see proof that you have the potential to do that.

I remember being at a staff meeting one day and all the permanent lectures were complaining about the pressure to do research while the teaching of students is seen almost as something that gets in the way.

You might be better sticking to teaching in secondary schools if you really want to teach.

Janeom

Advertisement