Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radiography in ucd?

Options
  • 22-08-2007 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi just wondering if anybodys going for radiography in ucd this year without ever doing physics?im after getting offered the course but am unsure whether to take it or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Not meaning to be an arsehole, but why are you only asking this now? These are the things you should have been checking when you did out your CAO.

Anyway, if it's not a necessity to have LC physics, which it obviously isn't, you can be assured that they will start from the beginning. It may be a little tough to get you're head around it at first, but I wouldn't imagine it would be too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fizzypops

hey! i'm going into 2nd year and was in exactly in the same position as ya last year, didn't do physics and thought i was gonna be totally out of my depth. it was grand though, a good lot of the class hadn't done it either. we had 2 modules in the second semester.the stuff covered is much the same as the LC physics course, i used a rapid revision book and got 2 grinds before the exams.it was tough and took a good bit of work but i passed both fine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭maggie18x

fizzypops wrote:
    hey! i'm going into 2nd year and was in exactly in the same position as ya last year, didn't do physics and thought i was gonna be totally out of my depth. it was grand though, a good lot of the class hadn't done it either. we had 2 modules in the second semester.the stuff covered is much the same as the LC physics course, i used a rapid revision book and got 2 grinds before the exams.it was tough and took a good bit of work but i passed both fine:D

when did u get to go into the hospital to practice the radiography?was it a course which u always wanted to do or do u think that a person would really want to be a radiographer to do it.do u love the course and the placement?

i have to have my mind made up today and im still as confused as ever:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dwindle

If its what you want to do, then you should go ahead with it, if physics isn't necessary, then why worry? Just work hard at it and you'll be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

There are people studying Law who haven't done it before.

There is people studying Architecture that haven't done it before.

There is people studying Pharmacology who haven't done it before.

So if these people can enter the course knowing nothing and be successful, why can't you.

If there isn't a requirement that means that it's perfectly acceptable to enter knowing nothing.

Work hard for the first while and you'll get on grand.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement

no it wasn't a course i always wanted to do...i just ended up head first in it!i put it on my cao in the first place really just to fill up space. i didn't know much about it and after the LC didn't think i would get the points for it and so left it there. then the offers came and i got it.
    Like you i was really confused and didn't have a clue if i should take it or not.the day i got the offer,i rang up the local hospital x-ray dept and asked if i could come in and see what they get up to. after seeing what a radiographer does i decided to accept the course with the idea that if i didn't like it i would drop out before Christmas and reapply next year.
    if you have to accept your offer by today you probably wont have time to go in to an x-ray dept you could talk to a radiographer over the phone and see could you visualize yourself there.
    we didn't go out on hospital based placement until just after Christmas, which is a bit late to decide if your going to stick with the course or not. i do like the course and am enjoying it.we have great craic, there are 43 in our year so you know everyone and have good nights out. all the same i did find parts of it tough, unfortunately ya have to do some study!!
    theres a shortage of radiographers at the moment so hopefully getting a job won't be a problem. also the qualification is recognized pretty much everywhere which is great for traveling. Making this type of decision is a leap into the unknown for everyone, its just about taking a risk.i hope this helps and if you have any more questions just ask.
    Good Luck :D

thanks a mil for your long reply.i actually rang up to go in to the radiography dept but there are new rules concerning patient confidentiality which prevent the public going in or something.still im undecided.i was ringing up to cancel my acceptance to the course when i realised the office was closed...maybe i shud take it as a sign....il make up my mind for definite tonight.no sleep for me!
    its more the job itself im worried about.the hours are supposed to be unsociable and very challenging especiallly at night when there is just one radiographer on all night in the hospiatal on call.dealing with car accidents etc would be very tough by yourself.thanks again for your help.

by the way i know nobody knows what they are gettin themselves in for until they work at the job.but my problem is i prob know too much!at this point ive driven myself demented trying to make the decision to go for it or to take a year out.

is there anybody else in this position?

sorry fizzypops just wondering what u thought of the placements.were u there for major tramas or what was it like?scary?exciting?did ye get to practice radiography on patients or just watch?were ye there at nighttime?i heard the hours arent great that radiographers do be on call one night each week.so thats one shift of 24hours in a hospital one a week.that would be hard!

well, we only did 5 days of placement last year which was nothing really. we worked 9-5 with a half day on friday at 12.30. i didn't see anything really scary aside from a few badly broken legs, fingers etc. it probably isn't the best job to be at if your squeamish though. when we went on placement we didn't really know how to do anything, cos we hadn't started learning the positioning or much about actually taking the x-rays.

in the beginning we just watched but the qualified radiographers showed us how to do stuff and then let us have a go with a bit of help from them.
    it depends on the hospital when it comes to on call, nights etc.In the hospital where i was, the radiographers worked 9-5 on weekdays and as far as i can remember they didn't get on call as frequently as once a week. that was a big hospital so there was more radiographers and therefore more people to spread it out between. the pay is also pretty good for on call so it helps soften the blow!

i still reckon that the only way your gonna know if its for you is if you see what its like. i know theres a bit in the ucd prospectus saying that the college can help get you into a department for work experience so you could try ringing them. i dunno what else to say.
    if theres anything else just ask. i hope you make the decision thats right for you. good luck and don't worry :D

Advertisement