Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung model numbers

• 22-08-2007 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I'm looking to pick up an LCD TV sometime in the next couple of months, so I'm just starting to do my research.

I'm already fairly certain I'm gonna go for a Samsung; I just have a quick question re: the model numbering conventions.

Which is more recent/better, the R series or the S series? I gather that the 81/71/83 etc. is a particular model in a series, but I'm kinda confused about the differences between the series themselves.

(Did a search but couldn't find an in-depth answer so sorry if it's been done!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Latest panels are the M8 series*

Everything else are older generations it can be quite confusing as;
    Samsung use different model numbers depending on the country
    Samsung use different model numbers for different style cases even if the internal panel is the same.

For example R3 is very old but R8 is last gen before M8. As a general rule of thumb say you have five 32" Samsung HDTV's then most expensive one is generally going to be the newest one.

* Technically & annoyingly even though Samsung has a hard on for changing model numbers with the most minor of details they decided to not issue a new model number to the M8 panels which have 100Hz displays & are the very latest panel from Samsung. There is no way to tell a regular M8 from a M8 100Hz unless they list 100Hz support in the specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Ah cool, thanks. Was kinda looking at the R8 models alright.

I've read in a bunch of threads that DVDs can look pixellated and, well, crap, on HDTVs - is there any way around this or is it just something you have to put up with? Do any of the manufacturers have tech in their machines to try and ameliorate this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I've read in a bunch of threads that DVDs can look pixellated and, well, crap, on HDTVs - is there any way around this or is it just something you have to put up with?

Can't say I've ever seen or heard that with the exception of really old LCD TV displays and thats before the time of the Samsung R3 series as I had one of those and DVD's were fine on it.

DVD's look great to me eyes at least on LCD HDTV's though everyone has different tastes I guess plus other factors come into the account such as:

* How good is the DVD player in terms of image quality.
    * Is it up scaling to HD resolution.
    * Has the screen been calibrated to the lighting in your room or personal preferences.
    * Does the TV have a movie specific enhancements pulldown, deinterlacing etc.

Personally it's not something I'd worry to much about with any reasonable decent DVD player picture quality will be fine.

Right so... cheers for that, obviously I was reading some very out of date information!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

8T8 wrote:
    Latest panels are the M8 series*

Everything else are older generations it can be quite confusing

I think this is slightly misleading (just like Samsung Model numbers!)
    Some M8's are older than some R8's. They are two different price points. Most M8's are 1080P or at 100Hz. The R8's are less expensive and not 1080P.

I bought a LE32R88 the day it came out in Ireland in June I think, and I'd seen M8's around for months previous. Just out of my price range.

Roy, its a great TV. The DVD picture is great, especially on component. Will be even better when I buy a €90 DVD player with 1080i upscaling on HDMI.
    You have to tweak settings for watching regular TV but there are lots of settings to tweak.;) Theres even a hidden service section with loads of setup options. And damn it Roy, its the best looking TV on the market IMHO!
    If your buying something thats gonna take up half your sitting room, its gotta look good. :D

• Advertisement

Hey, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I'm on the cusp of buying but am just wondering something.

Is there a difference between the Samsung LE32S81 http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/571144/art/samsung/le32s81-lcd-television-16.html and the LE32S81B as shown http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333288?

The specs seem to be the same, but there are a few gaps in pixmania's tables. Also, from what I've read elsewhere, pixmania can be a little unreliable with deliveries etc. Any here have personal experiences with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm kind of in the same boat here, my price range is around the €750 mark and I'm looking for a 32" LCD.

Komplett have the R81B, R82B and the R87BD.

From what I've gathered the only difference between these 3 are the chassis and the fact that the the R87BD has the DVB-T tuner but are there any other differences I should be aware of?

Also, finally, what one would you guys recommend?

Uses wise, it'll be for for NTL Digital TV, an XBox360 Elite, Wii and also a media PC in the next month.

Advertisement