Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accomodation

Options
  • 22-08-2007 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi everybody, I have just gotten an apprenticeship as an aircraft mech. and will be moving to shannon in october. I have been talking to some people about places to live but I have been getting mixed opinions.

Some people are telling me to live in limerick city and get the bus out to shannon everyday, because apprently shannon is too boring?

I dont know, but any advice on stuff like nice locations/bus frequencies etc. would be very helpfull.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    Hi everybody, I have just gotten an apprenticeship as an aircraft mech. and will be moving to shannon in october. I have been talking to some people about places to live but I have been getting mixed opinions.

Some people are telling me to live in limerick city and get the bus out to shannon everyday, because apprently shannon is too boring?

I dont know, but any advice on stuff like nice locations/bus frequencies etc. would be very helpfull.

Cheers.

If you live on the northside of the city - somewhere around Ennis Road or Caherdavin - then the bus will be very accessible and you won't have the hassle of trying to get from the other side of the city in the mornings...

Bus timetables here.. and here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Cheers for that wolfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Definitely the Ennis Road/Caherdavin side of Limerick is dead handy. Have you considered Ennis itself? I know lots of people love it there too. I would agree with whoever told you to skip living in Shannon. I work in Shannon, but wouldn't live there for anything. Absolutely nothing to do - not even a decent selection of pubs - any country village would have more choice!!

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    Cheers for that wolfy!

No problem.. you shouldn't have any problems getting a place to stay out that side of the city - there are always plenty of adverts for accommodation on the Ennis Road and Caherdavin..

Ennis wouldn't be a bad choice either - not sure what the commuting situation is like from there though..

Ennis would be grand only im coming from dublin, the whole Lough Derg would cause a bit of a detour, and id rather be closer to limerick as im quite fond of nightlife!

Another note, if i was living on the northside of limerick, is there any areas I should downright avoid?

I know alot of estates like moyross and St. Marys get alot of bad coverage but how bad are they to really live in?

I live close enough to blanchardstown in Dublin so I wouldnt be too naive when it comes to rough areas but is there any just NO GO places?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

If you're looking for nightlife then Moyross would be perfect :) Though I'm not sure it's the kind of nightlife you have in mind..

I don't think I could advise anyone coming to Limerick for the first time to go searching for accommodation there..

Ok so moyross is to be avoided, so any not so rough areas on the northwest side of the city?

Oh yeah - loads of places - as mentioned, Ennis Road area, Caherdavin, Clareview, Ashbrook, Mayorstone and there are development shooting up all over the place round Clonmacken... And with the IT in Moylish - there's usually plenty of students about..

We're not at eachother's throats here the whole time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

FOGOFUNK, you dont have to be overly conscious about avoiding the rough estates, because they are out of the way in terms of main thoroughfares. Stick with the names that Irish Wolf mentioned and you'll have no bother at all. Best of luck with the job by the way :)

Kinda havin problems finding a place, i think i left it too late so all the students got in there first. But i dont move down until october the first.

I tried a few places on the ennis road and caherdavin but they all seemed to be taken just before me.

I emailed the student village on the cratloe road and they said they only take in students from L.I.T and U.L.

It seemed like a generic response, anybody know if this is the case?

• Advertisement

Ok, so now its gettin serious. still havnt found a kip.

Ive tried daft.ie, the limerick leader and the limerick post. but there seems to be very little in the ennis road/caherdavin areas, anybody got any other ideas of anywhere to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=52.671568&lon=-8.650875&z=15&l=0&m=a&v=2

That might show you some more areas/places you might not know about (zoom in more to see some of them). Ballynanty and Kileely may be places to avoid as well (don't know much about the areas myself).

And yeah, Shannon doesn't sound like a fun place to be. From personal and friends' experience, they have a Supermac's... and that's about it. The northside of Limerick isn't all that much fun either - the Davin Arms (the only pub in the Caherdavin area) is allegedly going to close soon - but of course it's much easier to get into town than from Shannon.

Cheers for that map, its realy helpfull! Id take accomodation anywhere at this stage tho, ill be heading down on saturday to try and find some around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I know it's probably not a lot of use telling you now, but if you were in Limerick or knew anyone in Limerick that could get the Leader tonight, it'd be your best bet. I always found that if you get the Leader when it comes out on a Wed night, you can get a head start on everyone else. I know Ivan's always have it on a Wed night and I'm sure other late opening shops would have it too. By Saturday most of the decent stuff in this weeks paper will be gone.

Advertisement