Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft Mech.

Options
  • 22-08-2007 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hey everybody,
    I just got a job as an aircraft mech. with SRT.
    I did my research before going for it so i know at the moment they are a strong company with lots of plans for the future, but i heard stories a while ago about some disgruntled workers back in jan'06.

Im really looking forward to starting in september and i was just wondering is anyone on these boards a mechanic or work for SRT?

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

What's up man, I got offered that too, have you sorted accomodation yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gary o

I aint involved with SRT but their history is pretty hectic,they change ownership everyfew years,but the dublin facility seems to stay pretty busy,a setback two yrs ago was the loss of a contract with easyjet,the general maintenance industry can change very quicky,but i know some one who knows people in SRT and they don't seem to have any problems in terms of them as employers,the odd strike threat rumbles about but thats like any other company,off all the companies like SR around,they're probably the best to work for given they're multi-national status & the fact aer lingus by themselves would sustain the need for a sizeable presence at dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

cheers gary O, dub dan, PM'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I worked there for 15 years. Glad to see the back of the place. Middle Management is rotten to the core and there's a lot of disgruntled staff. My advice is don't plan to stay too long, get as much experience as you can and get out or you'll rot.

npresto wrote:
    I worked there for 15 years. Glad to see the back of the place. Middle Management is rotten to the core and there's a lot of disgruntled staff. My advice is don't plan to stay too long, get as much experience as you can and get out or you'll rot.

What did you do there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 earlyturner

hey lads, im in my leavn cert year and was wondering if someone could tell me if i need honours maths for aircraft mech, and where could i do it..?
    thanks

No, i dont have honours maths, but i did pre-engineering in bolton st. D.I.T, you cant do it with ryanair, air atlanta, and SR technics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Use the experience you get there but get your own licences. There is a huge demand for Licensed Engineers at the moment. Aer Lingus simply can't get anyone, they pay too little. That will have to change Ryanair need Engineers too. Cityjet also need Engineers. You can also work as a contractor abroad and make a fortune. My brother did that and now has more money than God.

I was the stupid one and became a pilot:( :(

Haha, yeah, heard there was some SERIOUS money in the travel contracts.

cp251 wrote:
    My brother did that and now has more money than God.

Haha brilliant, I like the sound of that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr Spock

npresto wrote:

Hey don't mind this guy, things have changed a lot and they're doing really well. I know people who work there and things are much better. The only thing they need to do now is to get rid of all the dead wood who don't make any changes for the better, they just prefer to sit there and b*tch and moan about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Mr Spock wrote:
    Hey don't mind this guy, things have changed a lot and they're doing really well. I know people who work there and things are much better. The only thing they need to do now is to get rid of all the dead wood who don't make any changes for the better, they just prefer to sit there and b*tch and moan about the place.

Well said Mr Spock. Couldnt have said it better myself

Ooooooh things are getting interesting now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I hate to be the one with bad news...

According to the paper today (Irish Times, P3)

SRT are in the running to retain two EI contracts, if they don't retain them closure of the company was "a likely scenario"

They've already lost two - Wheels, and Components.

Don't put all your eggs in this basket, its future may not be assured. Keep looking for other starts would seem to be a good move.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

They have retained the airframe contact so all is not as bad as it seems. Interesting to se if they keep the line maintenance or not.

*Kol* wrote: »
    They have retained the airframe contact so all is not as bad as it seems. Interesting to se if they keep the line maintenance or not.

Where'd ya hear that? I didnt think it had been announced whether they had got the contract or not yet.

Oilrig wrote: »
    I hate to be the one with bad news...

According to the paper today (Irish Times, P3)

SRT are in the running to retain two EI contracts, if they don't retain them closure of the company was "a likely scenario"

They've already lost two - Wheels, and Components.

Don't put all your eggs in this basket, its future may not be assured. Keep looking for other starts would seem to be a good move.

Good luck.

Were not gonna jump the boat just yet.

We've been told whats happening

FAS are obliged to train us if SRT go under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

anyone know if air corps are taking on apprentice mechs this year ?

Advertisement