Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear brake pads replacement

• 22-08-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭

I need to get my rear brake pads replaced soon.

Can anyone recommend a place around the D12 area.

Will they do it there and then?

Whats the cost I am looking at also.

Ibiza car with disc brakes if that makes any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Trampas wrote:
    I need to get my rear brake pads replaced soon.

Can anyone recommend a place around the D12 area.

Will they do it there and then?

Whats the cost I am looking at also.

Ibiza car with disc brakes if that makes any difference?

I'll tell you where to steer well clear of... A new customer contacted me last week after been given a quote from Advance Pitstop on Cromwellsfort Road in Walkinstown of over 2,500 Euro for two new rear brake calipers and brake pads for a Nissan Almera to fix a problem with brake pads that were apparently sticking to the rear brake disc, apparently due to two seized brake caliper pistons. I brought the car in and fixed the problem by replacing brake pads for 70 Euro, saving the customer 2,430 Euro. Also replaced front brake pads because they were at end of life also. It seemed the guy in Advance didn't realise that rear pistons have to be wound back and not pushed back. Just be careful and at least go to a mechanic!

The muppet in Advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Darragh29 wrote:
    I'll tell you where to steer well clear of... A new customer contacted me last week after been given a quote from Advance Pitstop on Cromwellsfort Road in Walkinstown of over 2,500 Euro for two new rear brake calipers and brake pads for a Nissan Almera to fix a problem with brake pads that were apparently sticking to the rear brake disc, apparently due to two seized brake caliper pistons. I brought the car in and fixed the problem by replacing brake pads for 70 Euro, saving the customer 2,430 Euro. Also replaced front brake pads because they were at end of life also. It seemed the guy in Advance didn't realise that rear pistons have to be wound back and not pushed back. Just be careful and at least go to a mechanic!

The muppet in Advance

I hope your customer called the Advance head office on the Naas road to let them know. The head office (rather than the Naas road depot) take this sort of thing very seriously. That's blatant rip off stuff and needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Do all rear piston's need to be screwed back? Was about to do the rear pads on the E45 320d...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thanks Darragh. I wont go there.

Anyone name me a place to go. So I am looking at around 70.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

crosstownk wrote:
    I hope your customer called the Advance head office on the Naas road to let them know. The head office (rather than the Naas road depot) take this sort of thing very seriously. That's blatant rip off stuff and needs to be stopped.

Nope, I don't see why a customer should be expected to become a part of a feedback process for a business when the service is this bad. I don't think you can realistically say that a business that apparently prides itself on car servicing and maintenance, is capable of taking anything seriously when they can't even diagnose a problem such as worn rear brake pads, and quote a person over two and a half grand to have a 70 Euro problem sorted out. It doesn't get worse than that in my opinion. I wouldn't say this was an attempt to rip someone off, it sounded more to me like it was someone who honestly didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Darragh29 wrote:
    Nope, I don't see why a customer should be expected to become a part of a feedback process for a business when the service is this bad. I don't think you can realistically say that a business that apparently prides itself on car servicing and maintenance, is capable of taking anything seriously when they can't even diagnose a problem such as worn rear brake pads, and quote a person over two and a half grand to have a 70 Euro problem sorted out. It doesn't get worse than that in my opinion. I wouldn't say this was an attempt to rip someone off, it sounded more to me like it was someone who honestly didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

Whether it's incompetence or a blatant attempt at a rip off, how is it supposed rectified if nobody complains? Ultimately, if Advance Pit Stop did 'everything it said on the tin' it would be a great service. But if customers walk-in, get ripped off/bad advice and then walk away without making an issue of it then it will simply continue. If there's a problem then raise it at Advance HQ. I've know for a fact that it will be addressed. It won't fix the customers car, but it will, hopefully, improve the service for the next poor sucker who may have fallen for the misdiagnosis/rip-off. IMHO, your customer should have taken it further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hi,

left my almera lying up for two days.

started it up this morning and let handbrake off and it wouldnt move.

the back brakes felt like they were sticking. ive noticed a squeeking from the back drum brakes over last few weeks when the car is not moving and i pump the brakes.

anyway it wouldnt move for me so i put handbrake on and off a few times then pumped the brakes a few times and finally it moved off.

anyone got any ideas whats up? ive an nct next week and am really worried! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This thread is 3 years old, would you mind just starting a new one please

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement