Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freshers Ball

• 22-08-2007 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Does anybody know if the Freshers Ball is over 18's only...it's being held in Tripod Nightclub so I'm worried that it'll be a case of "No ID, no entry!". Anybody know what way it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Officially it would have to be for legal reasons I would assume.

Door policies may not be strict though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Yeah, I reckon that it would have to be 18+, which leaves me fairly screwed...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Unless they did it on campus like back in the old days of 2002 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

make sure u get there in time to see VOXPOP! great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

yeah, govt/garda ID is required
    ie you cant just change your student card to remove DOB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

GAH! I'm underage too.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Argh thats so cr*p! Surely they're aware that not all 1st years are 18....it's not fair to exclude the ones who aren't quite there yet....:(

Yes it would be much fairer not to allow anyone drink until everyone in the whole year is 18;)

Just get some ID off a friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I was talking to a mate of mine on the ents team about a week ago and I'm fairly sure that he told me that the freshers ball is on in Tripod on the first Monday of term. So I cant see Tripod letting anyone under 18 in, a fake ID is probably the way to go I'm afraid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

One thing I want to know about this. Is it all fancy, dressed up style, or would ya just go in your normal, going-out clothes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

casual - it's a club in dublin - any kind of shirt and you're considered dressed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

my debs is on that day(10th?)!!! I'd love to go to the club..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

casual - it's a club in dublin - any kind of shirt and you're considered dressed up

Ah thank you. I was wondering because of the venue. Now to decide whether I'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fiona_bob

I wasn't 18 til march last year which meant i missed out on loads of big events. What annoyed me is that things organised by the SU ought to be accessable by all students because they don't just represent the people who are 18+, and I was told there was nothing they could do about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

In fairness the VAST majority of students in university are over 18, sure there would be uproar if drink wasn't available at SU events which would be the only way to allow under 18's to events like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Everyone has to wait until they're 18 to drink. It's a pity that you're in college and still not but I don't think it's unfair in any way. You probably skipped TY or went into primary school extremely early (ie still 3) if you're still not 18.
    Unfortunate but that's the way things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Just saw the poster for the ball, it says "ROAR Gov ID" on it, I presume that means it's an over 18's event.

It also says "Fire Jugglers and lots of little surprises", maybe one of the surprises is they'll let underaged people in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bigstar97

ahh thats SO unfair i really wanted to go :(.. its like banning first years, i think anyone underage should just have their little own freshers thing get-together!! it will be even better than the real thing* :cool:

*not garunteed

ooohhhhh are the wickle babies sad?:(

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

To be honest, I knew 2 people in first year who were underage. It really is a minority in college that are underage, and whilst it's true it's annoying that you're not allowed in, but in saying that what are UCDents to do. They can't get clubs to change there policies to not allow underagers in. It's also due to the licencing laws so not much can be done really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bigstar97

does being underage also mean i cant go to the student bar?????

You can't for evening events, during the day there's generally no problem getting in, it's just you won't be served alcohol as they generally id people at the bar up until 7pm I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Theres not a whole lot ents can do in fairness, I'd say max 1/3rd of incoming first years are under 18 and of those at least half must have decent fakeIDs, how would you get through 6th year without one? Theres also the rest of the college population who wouldnt be caught dead at a no-alcohol event to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

Student Bar? Sweet ,thats the first i heard of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I remember the year before last there was a Tuesday Tour which was alcohol free gigs like comedians + some bands in the Astra Hall. It'd be good for there to be something similar again, but trying to run really big events with no drink would be unpopular + loose a ton of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

To be honest, I knew 2 people in first year who were underage.
    I knew a 16yo who started in UCD.

As somone else said, you can't drink (legally) until you're 18 anyway - tough break being in college before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Obv its fair that college events should be for over 18s!

You are supposed ot be 18, I was the youngest in my year and im 18 for college.
    See when they said TY helped you mature and deal with life after school better they wern't kidding.

Seriously though i feel bad for you guys, i missed my predebs because i was 17.

Also Tripod is REALLY strict. No cancelled passports strict. even for liek a gig i bought tickets to.(****) So i wouldn't bother.

cast_iron wrote:
    I knew a 16yo who started in UCD.

As somone else said, you can't drink (legally) until you're 18 anyway - tough break being in college before then.

That's perfectly possible, you must only turn 17 within I think 2 months of starting in college to be allowed attend. I'm just saying that I knew very few people who were underage in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

anyone k ow what the story is with tickets, how many can you buy? loads of my freinds not going to ucd want to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I dunno if there's a limit, I'd say you can get as many as you want. It's not like you'll get far touting Freshers Ball tickets..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

They've a good third of the tickets sold already by the sounds of things.

As for the underagers, pretty much every venue financially accessible to Ents would have serious insurance issues (regardless of licencing issues) with under 18s. I'm sure if you want to go that badly you can find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Would you need student id to get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Wow I remember thinking it was horrible being 17 for the Christmas period of 6th year. Then I got to college and people were still only 17. I laughed at their misfortune. Dang like its pretty screwy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I know the odd person who was underage for the whole of first year.

Sh*t buzz, basically... just cos your in college doesn't mean you can drink, and these large events are there to cater to the majority.

If it's any consolation, I'll be there but won't able to drink cos I'll be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

is anyone selling a ticket or two?? PM me plz if you are

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 gliondar

So how was the ball? The bar had a great atmosphere during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Just saw the poster for the ball, it says "ROAR Gov ID" on it..

I've seen that on a few things now, what does "ROAR" stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Right Of Admission Reserved or something along those lines I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I was 17 when I started college, and I remember getting into Freshers' Ball and the student bar with no problems... that was a long time ago though, back in the days when the Freshers' Ball was on campus ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

You can't for evening events, during the day there's generally no problem getting in, it's just you won't be served alcohol as they generally id people at the bar up until 7pm I think.

I've never got this... What's to stop someone going in before they start checking at the door, then waiting till they stop checking at the bar to get a drink? Simple. Of course I never did anything like that... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement