Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To keep or not to keep

• 22-08-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just purchased the Garmin 250 Widescreen (The ws is a little treat to myself - sheer indulgence!) - arriving any day now. Before opening the parcel - still highly returnable -- would the good bodies online care to suggest a BETTER MODEL that I SHOULD have bought? Just my luck that , after buying , I find this great GPS info site!! Mainly Ireland travel and the odd trip to Europe. Many thanks, Michael r.
    ps I bought in Ireland - costing -with case - 393euro. Free delivery. I don't mind paying a little more to get the best. Paying less would'nt be bad either! I would hope to carry it around with me so size and weight is a factor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I would have to say the Garmin 660 FM ... although there are no radio traffic avoidance providers covering Ireland. Widescreen is great and it is an mp3 player, has bluetooth and better screen resolution. Also speaks street names!
    660 is 6.2 ounces : 250 is 5.2 ounces

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

dak wrote:
    I would have to say the Garmin 660 FM ... although there are no radio traffic avoidance providers covering Ireland. Widescreen is great and it is an mp3 player, has bluetooth and better screen resolution. Also speaks street names!
    660 is 6.2 ounces : 250 is 5.2 ounces
    Great minds think alike! Just arrived at that conclusion myself but , plus using your advice, will buy with renewed confidence. Muchas gratias amigo. Michael r. Heading in right now to collect - mysatnav in Sandyford = in stock = great!!

At least you will find your way home!!

dak wrote:
    Made the purchase and then could'nt find my car in the carpark - 20mins before finding it !! (Beacon Centre - a nightmare) Do I need GPS or what?! Must get going today - will let you know the results! Thanks again Michael r.

dak wrote:
    As predicted by yourself, dak, it's a beauty - and indeed it got me home! Some anomolies with the new N11 roadway outside my door ( www.camstreams.com/live cams/scenery/Irish Traffic - Wicklow. My webcam for what its worth!). Trusting the 660 blindly (its my first gps) - I was amazed to be brought home so accurately by an electronic lady's voice. Would that Garmin would give a choice of voices on the 660.
    Thanks , again , for the prompt in the right direction - am delighted with the 660. Regards, Michael r
    ps As usual a learning curve as I wade through the cd manual - I'm of the old school so would almost prefer a written manual as "aid memoir". pps I saw , somewhere recently ,advice given ref backing up the software on purchasing the new gps - any ideas? and how to go about it safely?.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear your enjoying the 660 .Plenty of voice choices on this unit, Just note if you cahnge to plain "english" the unit doesn't announce street names. I haven't bothered to back mine up - I had no problems with my old 300 even when I updated maps to V9. Happy GPSing!

dak wrote:
    Glad to hear your enjoying the 660 .Plenty of voice choices on this unit, Just note if you cahnge to plain "english" the unit doesn't announce street names. I haven't bothered to back mine up - I had no problems with my old 300 even when I updated maps to V9. Happy GPSing!
    Thanks dak. How do I get to the other voice choices? Thanks again. Regards, Michael r.

From memory ...Go into setting ,display , locale . choose your voice and enter. Unit will turn itself off/backon to change voice.

Advertisement