Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hod vent to boiler vent?

Options
  • 22-08-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

hi gusy here is my kitchen,
    kitchen.jpg
    just was fit hod and as there is no place to vent for hod in kitchen the only place i can think of is to connect it with boiler vent is it possible or not and how difficult it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, you must not connect it to the boiler vent. This is extremely dangerous.
    You'll have to drill a hole for a vent. I'll see if I can find a previous thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

thanks for help that might be bit difficult as there is no space, and do i have to connect some special pipe or i can use any ordinary to connect hod to wall (if i manage to make hole in wall).

Yes, you typically use a 100mm or 150mm pipe depening on the output of the extractor.
    Your other option is to use a carbon filter as mentioned in the link also. This does not require an external vent.

Can you route a pipe through the ceiling?

in picture free space is wall and after wall there is attic but there is no access to attic as its just 2 to 3 feet hight so builders didnt gave access. but other end ot attic there is vent in wall what if i cut hole in wall and let air to go in attic. is that safe to do so? or can it coz some problem later like smell in that space or anything els?

• Advertisement

No, you need external ventilation. Otherwise you are just moving the problem on, not dealing with it. Smells and moisture will become trapped up there.
    Is the attic your property? If so, look into knocking a hole in the ceiling for access and board it up with a painted wood panel and a surround. That's what I had to do with my roof space last year. There was no insulation in it.

yes that attic is in my property. and i was thinking if some how i can manager to get some flaxi pipe to vent in attic and and then on mouth of that vent place some fan. to boost the air.
    what do you think?
    otherwise today i will try to have look in boiler area may be there is enough space to make hole in wall and try to make some pictures to explain u more.
    and thanks for all help its really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I personally think you should not try to do everything yourself ,wasim21k .

Brian,
    thanks but i like to do things DIY way i enjoy them and then i know better what i have done.

I am the same ,I paint and do the odd bit of carpentry when I have to.

But ,interfering with a gas installation is not diy ,it's dangerous:(

Edit: Just to let you know ,I have often had to cut the gas supply off to a house ,because of diy jobs like this .
    Be weary of where you terminate your vent pipe.

• Advertisement

yes its DIY with gas is not good but in this case i m not touching gas and i found other way to put vent pipe and it increase vent pipe length. 22 feet.:rolleyes:

I think what Brian is referring to is the location of the extractor vent output in respect to the gas outlet. This is regulated due to the possibility of the vented gas returning into the living space and leading to posioning. I'm sorry I didn't remember about this in the first post.

If you have the instalation manual for the gas boiler you will find the guidelines for instalation of the flue.

10-10-20 wrote:
    If you have the instalation manual for the gas boiler you will find the guidelines for instalation of the flue.
    yes i found on installation manual it need space as it has there so i m not going to touch boiler area at all. thats why vent pipe length is 22 feet and i think i need another fan on outer side

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

your extractor fan wont be able to push the air for 22 feet..
    what is behind the back wall that we can see in your diagram?
    Is it your neighbour or outside?
    If its your neighbour is the other side outside?
    i it is you could look at venting though the attic space over your head and out that wall...

to go through attic is not easy job and again its not small space as well and as i said attic dont have any access so easy way i think is 22 feet but i will try to have look around and on other side there is open space.

You could add in an in-line fan to the 22-foot pipe. This would help boost the pressure.

yes thats what i m going to do as there is not other options for me.

Wasim21K ,sorry if I was rude . I didn't mean to be :o

It's best to ask these things ,so everything is safe.

I hope the job works well for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i see by your diagram you have a pitched roof......is this a tiled or slated roof.
    if so you could lift a tile over the extractor and put in a vent tile. you could then run a standard piece of flexi ducting from the extractor trough a hole in the plasterboard into the bottom of the vent tile. the hose could be boxed in by stainless steel or some painted mdf

Eh... diagram? What's diagram?
    I can't see one. It's being blocked for some reason.

• Advertisement

there is a diagram of the kitchen done in msn paint i think in the first post, it shows what looks like the roof line as being a pitched one.

to many things to do and i m already in that house for 2 months and i dont have floors so have to do things fast.
    _Brian_ wrote:
    Wasim21K ,sorry if I was rude . I didn't mean to be :o
    It's best to ask these things ,so everything is safe.
    I hope the job works well for you :)

yes that roof is tilled but i dont think it is best to remove tiles as it can cause problem.
    now what i m going to do is get some plastic pipe and from top of the hood to right hand back of cabinet and then under the work top and then to outside wall on left hand i was in B&Q yesterday but couldn't fine wide enough pipe for this job today i'll check Woodies DIY. or if one have any idea please feel free or any other suggestion it is really helpful.

there is a diagram of the kitchen done in msn paint i think in the first post, it shows what looks like the roof line as being a pitched one.
    NTL must be blocking it...

b&q do a range of rectangular ducting, its in the plumbing section. it mesures 110x53 mm. you can get all sorts of attachments and bends, even adaptors to go from the round flexi ducting. this would be low profile and easy to hide behind the pelmet on top of the press. i would suggest goin left towards the outer wall along the top of the presses and using a series of bends to get it past the boiler then drill out and put a square vent lower down then the flue off the boiler. if you decide to go the long way down around and under the kick boards the moisture will condensate and stick in the bends and eventually start to stink.

well some one suggested dont touch boiler at all and in boiler installation instruction it say it need some space which is already there (almost the same space as it says in installation instruction).

im suggesting bringing the ducting around the boiler and bust out trough the same wall the flue for the boiler exits.......under if posible as the fumes from the boiler shoudnt come back in trough the ducting. stay away from the boiler as much as posible. if you come across the top of the presses behind the pelmet which i presume goes all the way to the end, you can drill down at an angle making several holes with a long drill bit then use a hammer and chisel to knock out the rest.then continue the ducting trough the hole and stick a square vent on the outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

change hoods from an extracto to a charcoal filter
    check these guys out
    www.thegascompany.ie
    im sure they will be able to help you

northdublin,
    after trying to figure out all possibilities i think i m left with ur idea let me check today how much space there is in boiler there space on top as well and on bottom and on left side i mean between wall and boiler (3.5 inches).
    well guys thanks for help
    im suggesting bringing the ducting around the boiler and bust out trough the same wall the flue for the boiler exits.......under if posible as the fumes from the boiler shoudnt come back in trough the ducting. stay away from the boiler as much as posible. if you come across the top of the presses behind the pelmet which i presume goes all the way to the end, you can drill down at an angle making several holes with a long drill bit then use a hammer and chisel to knock out the rest.then continue the ducting trough the hole and stick a square vent on the outside

Advertisement