Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

desperate first year no home :(

Options
  • 22-08-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

can anyone please give me some information about finding accommodation in cork???????? iv got a list of landlords and am going to cork on saturday to start viewing places.. are there any places i should stay away from?? really dont want to end up in digs...

if any one can shead some light on the subject id be delighted, ye dont wanna see poor lil me left homeless do ye?????? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Theres still two places left I think for Arcadia Hall ( The ones I'm in ) or do a search in www.powellandlong.ie and find them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

There were two places left (sharing with lads) when I was there yesterday afternoon. Nice apartments, pity about the location, though — I reckon that's why they're such good value...

Otherwise try searching the UCC accommodation listings (use the 'view today's entries' link).

What's wrong with the Location of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Lucas10101 wrote:

They're about a 30 minute walk from UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

30 mins is a bit far away alright!! that means if i do live there il have to get up an extra half an hour earlier at least :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

30 Minutes at a brisk walk... possibly even longer for some.

fionated7 wrote:
    30 mins is a bit far away alright!! that means if i do live there il have to get up an extra half an hour earlier at least :(

Better than having no home at all. I'd reserve a place just in case nothing comes up. 30 mins, nope, they specify 20 mins everywhere I have checked.

Lucas10101 wrote:
    they specify 20 mins

They can specify anything they want - it's still 30 minutes, longer if you're on the far side of campus.

There is the bus to/from the train station though.

Even so, there's too many skinny people entering college turning into a fat bastard. It'll be good exercise for people, no point in being lazy. ( Some people get the bus for 2 hours a day, which isn't even exercise ), I think it's a benefit rather than a hindrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Lucas10101 wrote:
    For me it wasn't so much the distance — I agree with you about 30-40 mins' walk being a good way to start the day, unless you want to turn into a fat ol' b'stard like me! :D — as the idea of her walking home at night through that part of town (along the quays, and the road leading up to the station itself). But that's probably just me being over-protective of Daddy's Little Princess.

We finally settled on a place about 25 mins walk from the College, but out the Model Farm Road, towards Ballincollig. Leafy suburbs kinda thing... she'll probably be bored sh1tless! :o

• Advertisement

id rather join a sports team and/or visit the gym for my exercise!!!

You should be lucky there's still places available. I'd take anything if I were you. Get your skates on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

30 minutes is nothing. Suck it up!

Outside of the UCC accomadation office, where is the best place to look for somewhere to stay in Cork city?

Lucas10101 wrote:
    You should be lucky there's still places available. I'd take anything if I were you. Get your skates on.

il find somewhere, closer.. got a few lined up for viewing now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrazyStraighty

There was a sign advertising a house on college road by the green kiwi today! other than that daft.ie is always worth a try! Arcadia hall is really far away and i wouldn't like to walk up there after dark on my own. Don't get freaked out there's still rooms left alot closer to college! and make sure that the house isn't damp, particular problem around glasheen road area (apparently due to a strem underneath the road according to my friend who works in insurance anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fionated7 wrote:
    il find somewhere, closer.. got a few lined up for viewing now..

its usually around this time of year (maybe even a bit later) that i start lookin for a place and always got something within a few days of lookin.

Get the echo for the house sharing, check the accomadations office on college road, check the noticeboard in the student centre just in case, and have a stroll down college road and connaught avenue, sometimes they put signs up in the windows with a contact number. There's always also DAFT. That'd be my advice anyway, though i've always been more one for house share rather then flats. Im sure the accomadations office could give you the contact details for the student apartment complex's if that was more up your ally anyway.

Hope that helps!

Arcadia hall is really far away and i wouldn't like to walk up there after dark on my own.

Is it really that Bad? Well 20-30 mins isn't too far away so that's not the problem. But I haven't visited the area so I don't know what it's like? Is the place I picked a dangerous part of town or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i only started looking after the the 2nd of sept last year and got a place around the corner from the aib on college road;) so u will be grand

skelliser wrote:
    i only started looking after the the 2nd of sept last year and got a place around the corner from the aib on college road;) so u will be grand

Yeah? I've got a repeat exam on the 30th and so have little time to go looking for someone to stay.TBH I didn't expect there to be any place decent and available in the start of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

good things come to those who wait! or in my case befriend the staff in the accomodation office i.e. puppy dog eyes etc. they sorted me out!

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

Orizio wrote:

Amen, ive been getting up at 6.30am every morning for the last 2 years. Walking to cobh trainstation, for 7.30, train arriving in Cork at 8. Then walking to UCC, another 35mins.

Orizio wrote:

30 minutes is a long time when it's raining.

deRanged wrote:
    30 minutes is a long time when it's raining.

There's always the bus which lies outside my apartment every morning, eh?

Mercy wrote:
    Orizio wrote:

Amen, ive been getting up at 6.30am every morning for the last 2 years. Walking to cobh trainstation, for 7.30, train arriving in Cork at 8. Then walking to UCC, another 35mins.

Tell me about. Been getting up at 6 30 for the past three years sometimes just for one freakin' class.

Can people tell me what Eden Hall and Monastory Hill are like to live in?

wuhu, finally got accommodation sorted yesterday! half way between town n the college so its handy..

fionated7 wrote:
    wuhu, finally got accommodation sorted yesterday! half way between town n the college so its handy..

Lucky.I have a feeling I should have started looking for something a few months ago.Did you find something on the UCC website or what?

yeah, went into the accommodation office n they jus printed out the list n sent me on my way, i rang lots of em, viewed a few n then signed n payed the deposit on the one iv got... be warned, some places are complete dives so if u come across a good one take it immediately... also try start your hunt as early as possible as there were loads of ppl ringing the places by late afternoon n being told they were too late

Advertisement