Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will The Wireless Router I Got From Eircom Work With Different ISP's??

• 22-08-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I got a very very good wireless router from Eircom when I was with them on a previous service at a different address, I was wondering if I could use that router with a different {A}DSL service from a different ISP??

My only worry is that these machines already come set up for broadband and I was just worried that they might be "hardwired" so to speak for one phone number or ISP in particular.

The reason I am asking is because I am going to get a wireless bb package, but as cheap as some of the non-eircom products are, their wireless modems are totally naff {BT's modem couldn't throw a jaysus fit much less a signal 10 yards} and I don't want to end up having to fork out on a much better but very costly modem.

Cheers.

TK:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

there's a page when you logon to your router where you can enter a user name and password, change these details to your new ISP account details and that should be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

EL_Loco wrote:
    there's a page when you logon to your router where you can enter a user name and password, change these details to your new ISP account details and that should be it.

Well, thats just the problem!! I can't remember any details for the wireless router in question, and it also means I have to order the internet package before I get round to trying anything.

When the new internet comes in, will it have an address for me to access the router?? Do different ISP's have different router addresses??

Whats Eircoms, and whats BT's??

Many thanks again!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Depends on the service... if it is ADSL over the phone line the ADSL modem functionality of your existing router should be fine.

BTW... its not that great a router... its actually pure pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

sicruise wrote:
    Depends on the service... if it is ADSL over the phone line the ADSL modem functionality of your existing router should be fine.

BTW... its not that great a router... its actually pure pants.

Which? The Netopia NGW? It blasted a great wireless signal around my apartment the last time. How does it work in a 3 bedroom 2 story house then??? Everybody else wants €130 for their router.:eek: :eek: :mad:

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

It should be fine for your use... its just not a great router. Eircom put their own firmware limiting access to certain features etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

IT Loser wrote:
    Well, thats just the problem!! I can't remember any details for the wireless router in question, and it also means I have to order the internet package before I get round to trying anything.

When the new internet comes in, will it have an address for me to access the router?? Do different ISP's have different router addresses??

Whats Eircoms, and whats BT's??

Many thanks again!!!
    By default, the IP address of eircom's router is http://192.168.1.254 If that doesn't work, you can reset it using the tiny button at the back.

More than likely, your Internet IP address will be dynamic. Your ISP will periodically change it unless you request a static one [and pay more for it in this case].

You may need to change the username or password for another ISP, like BT Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IT Loser wrote:
    Which? The Netopia NGW? It blasted a great wireless signal around my apartment the last time. How does it work in a 3 bedroom 2 story house then??? Everybody else wants €130 for their router.:eek: :eek: :mad:

Ta.

It is very difficult to predict in advance how any wireless equipment will perform in any particular location. It is possible to buy a decent adsl modem/router for less than 130 euros in shops never mind on the web. Try the eircom one first thats the best first step.

Advertisement