Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Blocks in Arts

Options
  • 22-08-2007 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Another question for the wise and benevolent UCD veterans of Boards.ie :)

Is there a downside to taking three 20credit blocks in Arts in first year besides not being able to take electives? Is there a bigger workload or something like that? I'm just trying to clarify because I having difficulty narrowing down my option. Also any info/opinions on linguistics would greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,
    Zounds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

yeah I'm also interested in this.. I'm doing BA Computer Science and it looks like my split will be:

CS - 20
    German - 20
    Music - 20

Not sure if I want that though... Could I do CS - 40, German - 20?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

Zounds wrote:
    Another question for the wise and benevolent UCD veterans of Boards.ie :)

Is there a downside to taking three 20credit blocks in Arts in first year besides not being able to take electives? Is there a bigger workload or something like that? I'm just trying to clarify because I having difficulty narrowing down my option. Also any info/opinions on linguistics would greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,
    Zounds

Not at all a downside imo.I did it last year and it was very handy.Depends on the subjects you pick of course but there was definitely a very manageable workload. Im not too sure about lingistics didnt take any classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Flume wrote:
    Not at all a downside imo.I did it last year and it was very handy.Depends on the subjects you pick of course but there was definitely a very manageable workload. Im not too sure about lingistics didnt take any classes.

Three subjects (or "20 credit blocks") in first year was how it always was in 'the good old days'... So no, not a disadvantage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

In my opinion 20 credit blocks are the best way to do first arts.
    There's no downsides (other than not being able to take electives, but you're already doing 3 subjects, how many subjects do you need?). And the upshot is that when the time comes to pick oyur major(s) you're equally prepared in all your subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

plus, if you enjoy some aspects of the third subject you give up you can still pursue those aspects through electives in the later years. For instance, i studied Greek and Roman Civilisation, English and Philosophy in first year. Now i study English and Philosophy, but if something I like comes up in GRC, i take the modules, usually i do a bit of ancient drama cause it's very like something in English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I'm now thinking about doing..

CS - 20
    German - 20
    Music - 10
    Linguistics - 10

I already know CS and German are the subjects I'm keeping y'see... And I think Linguistics would tie in nicely with the languages of computers, music and germany :D haha how corny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

karmabass wrote:
    I already know CS and German are the subjects I'm keeping y'see.

Never say never, I already knew I was doing English and History and yet here I am three years later with a first in Philosophy. It turned out that even though I loved and aced History for the leaving cert I both hated and sucked at it in college.
    I'm very much in favour of keeping options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Never say never, I already knew I was doing English and History and yet here I was three years later with a first in Philosophy. It turned out that even though I loved and aced History for the leaving cert I both hated and sucked at it in college.
    I'm very much in favour of keeping options open.
    Same here. I was convinced i was going to be doing English and Greek/Roman Civilisation for the 3 years, giving up Philosophy after 1 year. 2 years on and I'm starting my Erasmus course in Literature and Philosophical discourse on Monday. You really have no idea how much you might like something in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was the exact same. Missed mode 1 economics on the cao by about 10 points. Went into Arts fully expecting to do pure economics in second and third year.

Just finished my degree in Music + Geography, after completing an Erasmus year in Germany. You really don't know what will happen in college. I loved economics for the leaving cert but coudln't stand it in college, completely different way of approaching the subject.

Advertisement