Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driveshaft

Options
  • 22-08-2007 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi guys.
    how can you tell if your driveshaft is on the wayout.

thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The actual D/S is rarely the problem its usually the CV joints or the a wheel bearing. What do you hear/feel?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 loreco

the car feels likes it vibrateing when im driveing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Check your wheel nuts ... causes a serious vibration if a wheel is loose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Could it be the wheel bearings ? Had a similar feeling recently and found out the two rear wheel bearings were shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

If the noise gets louder on cornering , as the weight loads on the wheel then it may be the wheel bearings .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Can very easily be the driveshafts that are f***ed if it vibrates like that when you drive it.

Happened to my old car,

Edit:

CV joints where clicking when turning left or right. 2 weeks down the line car started to judder and vibrate when i was accellerating hard , one day it was juddering even under the slightest acceleration .... 20mins later car was limping.

Needed new CV joints / driveshafts i was told! ...couldnt get them anywhere and needed to sell my beloved V6 for peanuts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does this vibration happen all the time or at certain speeds? If so it could be as simple as wheel balancing that is required.

I've seen balance weights come away from drive shafts which can cause a vibration. Mind you, problems with drive shafts are quite rare. As Mike stated, it's usually a CVJ that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 loreco

thanks guys forgeting back to me i going to see a mechanic thisevening so hopefully it wont be to big of a job. it an 03 focus i allways thought they were a good car or thats what i was told.

Advertisement