Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wing Mirror Replacement

Options
  • 22-08-2007 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I accidently knocked my passenger wing mirror off my 99 Ford Fiesta. When I bring it to the garage do I have to supply the new wing mirror myself, if I don't is it cheaper if I get one myself?
    Any Help! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Doing this on a Focus shortly, seems simple enough. €130 from a Ford garage. Parts are €30 of eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sunny25

Dont know where you are but there is a really good scrap yard in DunLaoghaire ask for Shane ph 2804177 he might have one already or be able to get you one from another srap yard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sunny25

Dont know where you are but there is a really good scrap yard in DunLaoghaire ask for Shane ph 2804177 he might have one already or be able to get you one from another scrap yard

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Is it €130 incl the mirror or you still have to supply it yourself?

I'm in Blanchardstown, I seen the mirrors online for like €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The mirror is less than €50 from www.micksgarage.ie (non-electric), probably less again from eBay. I have no idea what a garage would charge, the only way to be sure is to call and ask them. Fitting the mirror yourself is pretty easy, i've done them before in 10 minutes. I'm assuming your mirror isn't body colour?

No, the car's silver but the mirror is black.

eire1 wrote:
    No, the car's silver but the mirror is black.
    That's good, makes life a lot easier for you. I take it the adjustment is manual, rather than electric? To change the mirror, you need to remove the plastic panel on the inside, just in front of the drivers window. These usually clip off, perhaps someone on here with the same car can tell you exactly how. Once that's done, you'll be able to see the bolts holding the mirror on. You open them and take the old mirror off. Replace it with the new mirror, clip the plastic cover back on and you're good to go.

That's all there is to it?! I'll have a go getting a replacement and trying it myself so. Cheers

Yep, that's the same procedure as for the Focus. If only my bloody part would arrive in the post. :(

• Advertisement

eire1 wrote:
    That's all there is to it?! I'll have a go getting a replacement and trying it myself so. Cheers
    Sometimes there's a rubber gasket/seal between the old mirror and the door that you didn't get a replacement for with the new mirror. If so, just give the old one a wipe if necessary and reuse it. The only bit with the potential to be tricky is taking off the interior plastic trim without breaking the clips that hold it on. That said, most can be gently worked off by hand. Phnarrr.

Ballooba can I get the panel on the inside off by popping it out with a screwdriver or something? I don't want to do anymore damage! :)

On my sister's car it just pulled off easily as far as I remember but that it a focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

eire1, the fiesta has screw holding on the plastic panel on the inside. You should notice a circular shape in the plastic. This is a little covering behind which, you'll find the screw. Get a very small screwdriver, or even the tip of a large needle and prise the covering out. Then remove the screw and voila, the covering comes off.

One potential problem though, in order to get some of the bolts that hold the mirror on to the door, you may have to remove the door card (if I remember correctly!). This is not too difficult but you could end up breaking clips and such if you're not careful.

DC.

That little cap does pop out?! I've tried with my smallest flathead and biggest needle. Guess I'll have to keep looking for something to pop it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Yes it does come out. Takes a bit of poking though.

DC.

I got my mirror and got it fitted myself. Bout 10 mins + it was done. Thanks for all your advice!

Advertisement