Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying pay as you phones for the States in advance

• 22-08-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a site where I can buy pay as you phones for use in NY to be delivered to my Irish address, if thats possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Easier just to go into a Wal Mart and buy one. Only $30 and you get $10 credit. The problem is they have to be activated in store and you must call the network up from the new phone in order to obtain a number for your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

im goin to the states in november and was hoping to maybe buy or get one for free off one the many J1'ers who will be coming home from the states with sim cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it really worth the hassle when they cost so little. Also you have no choice over the area code the phone is assigned to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I have a spare Nokia and travel to the states quite a bit, is there anywhere I can just buy a pre pay sim card?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Tony wrote:
    I have a spare Nokia and travel to the states quite a bit, is there anywhere I can just buy a pre pay sim card?

walmart, Duane Reade's , CVS, target..... all have cheap SIM's i think virgin is the cheapest

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote:
    walmart, Duane Reade's , CVS, target..... all have cheap SIM's i think virgin is the cheapest

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Myself and my gf are going to the States, I wanted to buy us a phone each as a gift beforehand. I think il just go with a hotel for a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Got a US sim from a company a couple of years ago, just checking and I deleted the email from them, so I can't give the contact details.

Just to be aware, when calling Ireland it may be cheaper to roam on an irish network as your US sim will be charges to recieve the call and the people calling will have to dial a US number.

I think the incomming phone charges are quiet expensive.

I will have another look for the contact details (I think I came accross the company on Boards), don't think it worked out any cheaper that roaming, also if you did not use the phone in a few months the sim was cancelled so you were paying the sim and delivery charges for each trip.

Thanks, all I really need it for is outgoing and incoming local calls. I've looked at the trac phones but would rather use a phone that i'm used to.

dingding wrote:
    Got a US sim from a company a couple of years ago, just checking and I deleted the email from them, so I can't give the contact details.

Just to be aware, when calling Ireland it may be cheaper to roam on an irish network as your US sim will be charges to recieve the call and the people calling will have to dial a US number.

I think the incomming phone charges are quiet expensive.

I will have another look for the contact details (I think I came accross the company on Boards), don't think it worked out any cheaper that roaming, also if you did not use the phone in a few months the sim was cancelled so you were paying the sim and delivery charges for each trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Most of the pre-pay phones are very basic motorolla models with the occasional very basic nokia.

Any Tri-band Irish Phone should be fine, or better still a quad band.

I think the way the american mobile system works, they use the same area codes for land-lines and mobiles. The mobile phone user pays the mobile premium for sent and recieved calls.

As other posters said, any wal-mart, wallgreens etc, will have mobile phones, did not come accross sims. The phones are cheap 30 - 50 dollars, and there will be details in the shop about the tarrifs etc for each carrier.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=133261 link to the walmart mobile phone section.

You could have a browse and get the one most suits your needs.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement