Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plague of slugs is coming!

Options
  • 22-08-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6958259.stm

According to the BBC, there are record numbers of slugs in the UK due to the wet weather, an increase of 50% on previous years. Presumably it's the same here. If that carries over into next year (and what do slugs do in winter, anyway?), it's going to be a grim gardening season.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Old coffee grinds are a good deterrent and a great source of nutrients for your plants. I'm told the likes of Costa and Starbucks are fairly accommodating with requests for grinds if you don't grind your own coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

my garden is full of snails, worse then ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Stoner wrote:
    my garden is full of snails, worse then ever

Agreed, the mild wet weather seems to have multiplied their numbers and washed away the slug pellets. :mad: Now its a pity this wasn't France.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

slug pellets should be avoided anyway. they're not great for killing slugs, but much better at killing snails.
    and birds, too, which eat the dead slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The best way to kill them is with a combination of methods.
    Rotovate in early spring this exposes the eggs and slugs to predators and they are still vulnerable to cold.
    Use coffee grounds and eggshells plus copper strips if you have them to stop them moving.
    I leave some foot wide strips of black plastic around for them to shelter under, in the morning turn over the plastic and it's breakfast time for the birds.
    Handpick in the night by torchlight[for the hardcore] and if you do use pellets try and get the methiocarb based ones.
    Using all these methods in tandem will greatly reduce the slug population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've left out beer traps, to find them full within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

CJhaughey wrote:
    The best way to kill them is with a combination of methods.
    Rotovate in early spring this exposes the eggs and slugs to predators and they are still vulnerable to cold.
    Use coffee grounds and eggshells plus copper strips if you have them to stop them moving.
    I leave some foot wide strips of black plastic around for them to shelter under, in the morning turn over the plastic and it's breakfast time for the birds.
    Handpick in the night by torchlight[for the hardcore] and if you do use pellets try and get the methiocarb based ones.
    Using all these methods in tandem will greatly reduce the slug population.

If I was a slug - I would be very afraid of this man haha.... but seriously excellent tips

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yep slugs fear me! Seriously there is nothing more soul destroying than seeing a potential crop destroyed in a night by hungry molluscs. ehh hang on a second there is.
    Seeing your entire crop of sweetcorn destroyed in a night by hungry rats.

Advertisement