Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adapter for charging batterys

• 22-08-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I need to get an adapter for the charger on me new Thompson. I'm looking at one that just converts the us plug to a Irish plug but aren't we on different power volts. Do I need one that will convert the Irish power (which is stronger I think) to weaker US power. If that makes sense.

Someone told me that if I run American stuff on Irish power it would eventually kill the device.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

ScumLord wrote:
    I need to get an adapter for the charger on me new Thompson. I'm looking at one that just converts the us plug to a Irish plug but aren't we on different power volts. Do I need one that will convert the Irish power (which is stronger I think) to weaker US power. If that makes sense.

Someone told me that if I run American stuff on Irish power it would eventually kill the device.

US = 110v
    Most of the EU = 220-240v

Using an electrical device designed for 110v in an EU power socket results in an almost instant 'bang' and some smoke. While bang's and smoke are useful in airsoft, this is a rather expensive way to create them :D

In short, yes you need an Voltage adapter (not just a 2-pin --> 3-pin plug adapter).

Something like this:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=237

This post reminded me of an incident about 4 years ago when I was giving some training to a new hire class in the company. Once of the trainees was curious as to what the 'red switch' at the back of the PC was for. So he switched it. After the smoke had cleared we found out what happened. The switch was to change the PC power supply from 220v - 110v modes. Oddly enough, the guy was offered a contract, but declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

have a look at your adapter and see if it can accept both 110 and 220v input, alot of chargers do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

good call, those voltage converters if you want one quick are on sale in maplins, think they are about €30, if anyone around you has an aeg you could get them to charge it for you maybe and order a charger on-line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is the Yolk I've ordered. Doesn't give much details but I'd assume it must change the voltage.
    Once of the trainees was curious as to what the 'red switch' at the back of the PC was for. So he switched it.
    I remember that switch LOL. he must have got one of the non-idiot proff one's that wheren't behind a bit of clear plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

This post reminded me of an incident about 4 years ago when I was giving some training to a new hire class in the company. Once of the trainees was curious as to what the 'red switch' at the back of the PC was for. So he switched it. After the smoke had cleared we found out what happened. The switch was to change the PC power supply from 220v - 110v modes. Oddly enough, the guy was offered a contract, but declined.

Yup, I've done that before :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Erm what Thompson is it? is it the Cyma(CyberGun)?? What does it say the input is? E.G 000_0103.jpg

I think it's that one, the one off rsov.com there's a pic of it in the stickied thread of people guns. I don't have the gun yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

all you need is a shaver adapter for 2 to 3 pin then and not a 220v to 110v

Righto! I'm sorted so.

Advertisement