Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denmark vs Ireland

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tauren wrote:
    who would you play left back ahead of him? Yes, he is much better at right back, but still....

You don't play the best right back in the Premiership at left back. Always play your best players in their best positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kilbane who is playing there for Wigan or O'Shea
    Kilbane was destroyed by that new Everton signing(big black guy?) on the opening weekend of the season. Definitely not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Even if he was destroyed by someone at the weekend. He should be there ahead of Finnan. If we come up against decent wingers with Carr at RB and Finnan at LB, we'll be destroyed on both sides.

At least with Finnan RB and O'Shea/Kilbane at LB, we can be pretty sure only one wing will be a weakness

As Kingpin said are we really in that good a position as a National side that we can play the best RB in the PL at left back, someone who has played in 2 CL finals in 4 years? I don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

i dont care if he was destroyed by someone at the weekend. He should be there ahead of Finnan. If we come up against decent wingers with Carr at RB and Finnan at LB, we'll be destroyed on both sides.

At least with Finnan RB and O'Shea/Kilbane at LB, we can be pretty sure only one wing will be a weakness
    Easy tiger, i'm not saying Finnan should be left back, I also think he should be played at right back, what I am saying though, is that there is no way on earth Kilbane should start at left back for Ireland. O shea will almost definitely start LB I reckon. O Shea McShane Dunne Finnan.

Kingp35 wrote:
    You don't play the best right back in the Premiership at left back. Always play your best players in their best positions.
    Who plays Gary Neville at left back?!!! :D:D

The thing is that we dont have any decent left backs and Finnan does a better job there than O'Shea or Kilbane.

Dunne has to play, I worry about O'Shea at CB, Carr plays on his reputation rather than current ability so unfortunately Finnan bein there FOR NOW makes sense, unless we have McShane then we can put O'Shea there and Finnan back where he belongs at RB and Carr on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des, you with me?! :)
    I couldn't give a fiddlers about the national side tbh.

Anyway, Pighead is the Dundalk pyro.

yea i agree that O'Shea should start ahead of em both at LB.

Although if O'shea starts at RB with Finnan at LB as he has done before, the guy should lose his job.

sorry about the tone of last post, wasnt meant to sound aggressive :) edited now.

DesF wrote:

I just thought the FAI and flames would be an offer too good for you to turn down! :eek:

Although if O'shea starts at RB with Finnan at LB as he has done before, the guy should lose his job.
    Agree with that, O'Shea is left back or nothing. He's useless and accident prone in the centre, he's competeant at RB but when u have Finnan and Carr it begs the question of WHY and dont even get me started about him in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote:
    Coming from the guy who tries to make out those that don't support the LOI aren't patriotic. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I have no time for the FAIs international team either but am happy enough to jump on the bandwagon when they qualify for a major event, sure why would I follow them when I can watch a much higher standard of football on the telly.

Lads lets not turn this into a LOI vs PL debate or a Finnan Vs Neville one for that matter

can't we all just get along?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote:

Anyway, Pighead is the Dundalk pyro.

wtf are you on about in this thread? :D

Great stuff, surely that wasnt a largely first choice Danish team was it? They were woeful. Both sides were pretty lazy and sluggish until Robbie scored the first, they seemed to get a bit of drive about them from then on in. Apart from that near-stroke of bad luck re the shot that bounced under the crossbar, the defensive impressed. Few dodgy long balls played to lads who were clearly going to be offside, but all in all a good performance. I thought it was a bit odd that Robbie was taken off in the 2nd half even though he has been left on for all or nearly all of some games were he has been brutal. I hadnt rated Henderson massively beforehand (tbh I thought his Czech performance was overrated, sure didnt Kilbane end up saving one on the goal line) but he was on Given-like form last night, no complaints. Obviously i hope Given is fit by September, but if he wasnt and Henderson played like last night a clean sheet wouldnt be impossible.

However, the Slovaks were tough even in Croker, if we win it will be a narrow victory, I just hope the lads know the line between confidence and realising the Slovaks are not going to be as embarrasingly bad as the Danes (booed off at half time). France only managed 1-0 against them last night (dont know if it was in France or Slovakia), Henry iirc. Based on last night, I would call a narrow win and a draw in September games (off to Prague myself :) ). Of course there is what, 3 more weekends until then, unfortunately ample time for an injury or two (or double figure as we saw before Cyprus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not sure which I preferred last night the 4 goals orthe celan sheet.

If we can produce etiher of them in the upcoming game I'll be happy.

IMO the difference between the full backs in negligible. It's more about getting a performance from whoever plays as opposed to having a best option.

(Carr + Finnan) roughly equals (Finnan plus O'Shea)

Basically what you do is play the first one and if RB is looking like a real problem then switch to the second.

Dunne and McShane is looking like it's gonna be a really strong combination in the centre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gosplan wrote:
    Not sure which I preferred last night the 4 goals orthe celan sheet.

Bittersweet result for me. Went with the bet Id mentioned earlier- tenner in for 410 back for Robbie to score the one and only goal in a 1-0 result. The lads thought I was mad given Keanes recent form for us, all tipped Doyle to open. When the first goal went in I was going mad, thinking that, while the Danes are poor, big scoring results simply arent what Ireland does abroad. re the 2nd goal, probably the only time my heart sank as Ireland scored. I rarely ever bet and when I do Ireland get their best away result in 6 years :D Obviously id never bet on a competitive as i wouldnt want money getting in the way of an unpredictably good result, but still, half delighted half snapping :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

can't we all just get along?! :)
    no

Advertisement