Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs called me regarding VRT

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

unkel wrote:
    There used to be a lot of EE reg'd cars around where I live (Lucan). That's no longer the case. This is my own observation though, I've nothing to back it up

Many of the EE reg'd cars would have been exempt from VRT, but I'm guessing the owners didn't take that offer because of other costs involved in driving around in an Irish reg'd car...

I have also noticed this in Lucan unkel (my girlfriend is from there and I've some friends living there), so definitely agree with you.

My works carpark is a different story however, as is the greater Blanchardstown area off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Being originally from the border counties I'm very familiar with the workings of the Customs and Revenue. They;re a bit like undercover cops. They keep detailed computerised records where a car is obvious. One of my neighbours up home tried to claim he was living up north while driving his UK reg car to work at south until the customs produced a detailed printout of times and places his car was spotted down south in various towns. His mistake was in regularly parking on a main road so it was a tad obvious.

Every so often they trawl round housing estates and just record foreign registrations. then if the Reg comes up again after a period of time the bloodhounds get on the job.

Just to give you another example of how sharp they are... I once got stopped by them myself for the simple reason that i had pulled over to a shop in leitrim to buy my breakfast scone in the way to work. the customs guy spotted me coming out of the shop and came over to investigate why I would buy my scones in the south when logically i should have being buying scones in the north (seing as my money would have been sterling). Luckily for me, being of a border tribe, I was well prepared for a customs check at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Just to give you another example of how sharp they are... I once got stopped by them myself for the simple reason that i had pulled over to a shop in leitrim to buy my breakfast scone in the way to work. the customs guy spotted me coming out of the shop and came over to investigate why I would buy my scones in the south when logically i should have being buying scones in the north (seing as my money would have been sterling). Luckily for me, being of a border tribe, I was well prepared for a customs check at any stage.
    Snakes! Should have told him where to go, what are they the Waffen SS?:mad:

VHER R YOUR PAPERS?!:D

Advertisement