Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond Fish

Options
  • 22-08-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

hey all in the near future i will be getting a medium sized pond and was wondering if anyone keeps any thing other than goldfish and koi are too big so what im basicly asking is is there any fish other than goldfish that i could keep and where to get them.

p.s where is a good place to buy pond supplies

thanks in advance,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

I am not sure if cold water plecos can live outside during the winter, but from what I know they don't get very big. What size pond in liters/gallons are you thinking of getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If you're getting a pond outside, beware of Herons. They ate all our fish (was actually quite sad) despite some precautions. if you're going to get unusual (expensive) fish I'd reccommend you take some very very good precautions unless you want Mr Heron to have a nice dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

well the size depends on my mam i have shown her 2 designs 1 600 gallon pond or 1 600 gallon pond and a 400 gallon with a water fall joining them i was thinking of having 2 monoculture ponds if she chooses the two part and having a smaller species in the smaller one maybe minnows or something similar.

and i will watch out for the herons have seen one around my area before. thank,
    Gav

Keep a net over which ever pond you get. BTW...a 600 gallon is a pretty big pond, goldfish would be very happy living in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

get down the canal and catch a few rudd. wont get bigger than 4lbs in weight.

• Advertisement

Would they not die from the struggle and de hooking and what canal are you talking about.Oh and what bait would i use.
    thanks,
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I put 14 various goldfish in my pond last summer, then in march this year a heron came and ate most of them, then yesterday when i was cleaning out my pond i noticed I had 3 of the original goldfish left and also found out they breeded( 8 new goldfish :cool: ). So basically put a net over your pond. I would stick to the goldfish aswell, you can get them in all shapes, colours and sizes.

eoccork wrote:
    I put 14 various goldfish in my pond last summer, then in march this year a heron came and ate most of them, then yesterday when i was cleaning out my pond i noticed I had 3 of the original goldfish left and also found out they breeded( 8 new goldfish :cool: ). So basically put a net over your pond. I would stick to the goldfish aswell, you can get them in all shapes, colours and sizes.

Eoccork is right, stick to the goldfish. As rudd are wild the will make a jump out of the pond and it would hard to transport them in a car also. Rudd are not that nice to look at either, get some koi very nice to look at and friendly. ;)

That is nice to hear that you have a few more goldfish eoccork, must be nice to have a few little ones.:D

to be honest i really like the look of rudd.i find goldfish very boring and the amount of types of goldfish suitable for ponds is very limited.and koi would be to big and they also produce too much waste.
    just wondering if anyone knows joe from the fish shop in ballybough's email could you pm it to me.
    thanks,
    Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

no rudd wouldnt die if you put them into a bucket with an aerator. from hooking to getting in a bucket wouldnt more than 30 seconds max. use maggots. only problem is that true rudd are getting rarer and rarer. due to cross breeding with the expanding population of roach. but they will breed in a pond. i will pm you the canal.

• Advertisement

turns out its illegal to keep rudd according to joe anyway

animan wrote:
    turns out its illegal to keep rudd according to joe anyway

That's good:D

I would not like to see wild rudd living in a pond, just as I don't like to see wild tropical fish kept in a tank. Get yourself some goldfish, any goldfish can live in a pond with the right conditions. Get yourself a powerful filter or two and some test kits. Oh and don't forget the sinking pellets;) Your pond is big enough btw to keep koi, that is if you are right in saying your pond is 600 gallons, that is close to 2271 liters, that's BIG!

well its going to be 560 gallons and isnt big enough as koi need a pond length of 12 feet at least and 200 gallons each im going to get weather loaches and blue and gold orfe

Advertisement