Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Hit on a punter

Options
  • 22-08-2007 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so i was listening to the PTI & ATH podcasts, both mentioned about some punter getting levelled in a pre-season game, so i went and found the youtube clip.

This guy is Sav Rocca, apparently some huge Aussie Rules star, trying out as a punter for the eagles... All i can say is big hit....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

G'day mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

jesus that looked hard alright fair fuks for getting straight back up............would that of been why there was a flag on the play?(i cant hear the sound if it was explained in the clip)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote:
    This guy is Sav Rocca, apparently some huge Aussie Rules star
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sav_Rocca

He's not a huge star. Thanks for the link though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Dodge wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sav_Rocca

He's not a huge star. Thanks for the link though

Is he not? One of the guys on ATH was saying he was a future hall of famer in the AFL...

Oh, and i would presume the flag was a roughing the kicker penalty... Dunno though, the clip was cut, so you never see what the ref says...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Sometimes punters get their own back:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FhCgLeuO0I
    :) Punter was taken in fourth round of draft by Pittsburgh Steelers

As for Rocca, he seems to be crapping it before the snap but it's one hell of a punt. And while he got creamed he seems happy enough on the sideline, probably because of the kick.

The flag could have been for one of two things, hitting with the crown of the helmet or for a block in the back by the Eagles player who comes in afterwards. They're cracking down on the hits with the crown of the helmet so I suspect the back official spotted that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I saw this on NFL total access the other day and they were talking to a referee spokesperson and they asked why wasnt this flagged as it was helmet to helmet and he said it was a mistake and basically that the umpires didnt see it, so I assume the flag thrown wasnt for the hit on the punter, altho as the guy on NFLTA said, it should have been a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Its one thing for a linebacker to cream a punter playing his very first down of football like this but would you not rather see a big defensive tackle knock the poop (yes, poop!) out of a first round draft pick offensive lineman?

Check out the Top 10 Plays of Preseason Week 2 and watch Kevin Williams of the Vikings destroy D'Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets, ya gotta love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Mustangs wrote:
    Its one thing for a linebacker to cream a punter playing his very first down of football like this but would you not rather see a big defensive tackle knock the poop (yes, poop!) out of a first round draft pick offensive lineman?

Check out the Top 10 Plays of Preseason Week 2 and watch Kevin Williams of the Vikings destroy D'Brickashaw Ferguson of the Jets, ya gotta love it!!!

Yeah saw that and it was fricking excellent watching why the big guys rule Williams is the man pity about the team he plays for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Don't get me started!!

Our defense will be top 3 again this year we just need our offense to step it up, fingers crossed!

And yeah I screamed when I saw that block, could see it coming a mile off and then boom! Oh and these videos are on nfl.com/videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The commentator was right, thats not really a hit, its a cheapshot. It's that impressive either. Even i could floor a nfl player if ran at them full speed when they werent expecting it.

The pro-bowl clip on the punter getting creamed is better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement