Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday morning classes in THE INSTITUTE?

Options
  • 22-08-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Im going into 6th year now and im just wondering are the saturday morning part-time classes any good? p.s i dont attend the institute full time.cheers!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

i don't know anything about saturday classes, but i say it must be good.
    i attended the mid-term class , only went there for their notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Depends on what you want to do there. A huge amount of people become grind whores in sixth year and disregard everything they do in school, prefering instead to wait untill the weekend when they do whatever they missed in class. The institute teachers are good, and so they should be, you pay out through the nose for them. I did physics there, but I wasn't taking physics in school at all but still landed myself with a healthy A1. That said, what I wouldn't have given to be able to be part of a regular physics class in school. Institute grinds are good, but they're not the be all and end all of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I've heard that they're good alright, but I would've wanted a truly crap teacher and to be struggling myself before I would've considered grinds. As has been said, people become addicted to them. They just ignore school and concentrate on shedloads of photocopied notes that they get in grinds and end up sliding down and doing crapper. A number of people who went to the institute full time and for subject grinds found that although they were helpful they weren't all that they were cracked up to be. The focus was on learning, not on understanding, which is nonsense.

On the other hand many have said it was a great place. It's all down to your personal experience of the place. I wouldn't pick it above anywhere else for grinds.It does a lot of trading on it's reputation.

Ypu must remember that the grades it achieves with it's full timers aren't indicative of it's level of teaching, but more of the standard of the people who go there if you get me. This reputation then seems to transfers to the grinds and everyone thinks its the sh1t. Choose carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

I didn't go to the Institute but I really disliked the attitude of the people who went to those Saturday classes. They spent the year telling the rest of us that the notes we were getting in class were useless and therefore we were going to fail the Leaving, not go to university, end up on the streets or something like that (that bit was more implied rather than said;) ). Because they went to the Institue (or actually any grinds) there was a couple who would keep disrupting and holding up the normal classes for the rest of us. The Institute has a lot of people who say it's wonderful but if you pay attention when the topic is done in school don't bother with it unless you have actual problems in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I'd reccomend the short revision courses there during the Christmas holidays, you get a ton of brilliant notes in a really short space of time. They also run them at Easter, but you're better off doing them at Christmas and then if you're stuck for something to do it again at Easter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement