Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second chance student - clarification please

Options
  • 22-08-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

From citizensinformation.ie
    Have attended but not successfully completed an approved course and are returning following a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the academic year in question. In this instance, you will be considered a Second Chance Student

I have a National Certificate (Soft Dev) which I got in '98 while at GMIT. Then dropped out of the Diploma year in '99. I received maintenance grant and BTEA (TLA back then) payments for the full 3 years. Dropped out by default by simply not attending exams (didn't officially drop out via any paperwork).

Now, I'm looking into applying for a higher degree science course (not computing) in NUIG for the 08/09 academic year.

The BTEA qualifications also mentions this;
    Note

If you already hold a third-level undergraduate qualification, you can only apply for a BTEA to take an equivalent undergraduate course in very exceptional cases.

I have two questions; Do I qualify as a 'second chance student'? & Is it possible (supposing that in '08 I meet the unemployment longevity requirements) that I might qualify again for BTEA?

Comments

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that you wouldn't be applying for the same level of qualification. Since you didn't complete a degree before, I don't believe there'll be a problem with pursuing it again as a second chance student, especially since it's over 5 years since you dropped out. Of course, I'm not 100% on this and the only people to tell you for sure would be the Dept. of Education.

I can't really comment on the BTEA since I don't know that much about it. But of course it's possible :)

I assume you've looked into getting a grant again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Myth wrote:
    I assume you've looked into getting a grant again?

I've looked into all of the qualifying requirements, yes. That's what lead me to the question regarding the second chance. I wasn't sure if it only applied to a 'resuming from where you left off' scenario or not.

Hmm, as a sidethought... the course I'm planning to apply for is physics and astronomy. Do you know where I might find information reqarding courses/societies/activities that might increase chances of acceptance to science/astronomy courses?

Although somehow I'm an associate member of the Institute of Physics, I couldn't tell you. There's a few knowledgeable folk over at the Physics & Chemistry forum who might help you out.

Advertisement