Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD in the news....interested in that course ? ;)

Options
  • 22-08-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

maybe this is of interest for a few of ye.
    I think it's a fab idea. A bit like the Da Vinci Code lectures that went on in Trinity.

Could this be 'the one'? UCD offers course on 'The Matrix'

SCI-FI film fans have the chance to put their theories to the academic test by enrolling in a new course at UCD on the blockbuster film trilogy The Matrix

Entitled 'The Philosophy in The Matrix', the course will allow students to hammer out philosophical questions raised by the film, which stars Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne.

Students will be getting out the popcorn in the process -- as watching DVDs of the trilogy is one of the requirements.

The quirky course -- which runs for five weeks in January and costs €90 -- is just one of the unusual courses offered by the adult education programme in UCD.

Almost 217 courses are on offer, ranging from an introduction to conspiracy theories to an exploration of the bogs of Ireland.

The 'interest courses' allow people to learn about a subject without the pressure of a qualification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Strange but definately interesting.

I wonder how many people will sign up to it thinking it will be a bit of fun not realise that there is (probably) work involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Strange but definately interesting.

I wonder how many people will sign up to it thinking it will be a bit of fun not realise that there is (probably) work involved in it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Work!?!! what :eek: :eek: :eek: !!! To me it sounds like fun! Where to do you read work there :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

The first year philosophy course, 'Problems of Philosophy' uses the Matrix to illustrate the problem of skepticism, whether we are justified in believing the evidence of our senses and so forth. It usually generates some interesting debate (well... for first years) and it's a good way to get into the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

t3h r0b0tz r in kuntr000l, we r t3h f00ds!

A plzthnx.

Haha, it is a good example of the brain in a jar thought experiment

Question: if i do philosophy in first year as one of my "other" courses with psychology, will it be hard and take up lots of time?

I've read some stuff and i'm interested. But could i fail 1st year because of it? ie is it easy to do **** in?

Also do you have ot register early to get the good modules?

Also the matrix is totally stupid, how can people be used as power generators? there is no sun (main point of film) to grow food so how do they create energy from nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I doubt somehow the philosophical questions will be on how they got food to feed the "power cells" :) .
    Work!?!! what !!! To me it sounds like fun! Where to do you read work there
    Well seeing as it's a module i figured that there must be some work involved somewhere :p

Although if i read it again it just sound like it's just a fun thing. Doh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Im going to attend the X-Files course, simply because 'I Want to Believe!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Question: if i do philosophy in first year as one of my "other" courses with psychology, will it be hard and take up lots of time?

I've read some stuff and i'm interested. But could i fail 1st year because of it? ie is it easy to do **** in?

Short answer no.
    First philosophy is very doable, even people who don't really take to the subject get through their exams without too much bother.
    On general principle I am disinclined to name check the easier courses (someone else might do it for you), if you're interested in the subject you should find no trouble with any first year courses. If you're not interested, then a bit of hard work and paying attention will also do the trick.

No idea, but registering early is always a good idea.
    Also the matrix is totally stupid, how can people be used as power generators? there is no sun (main point of film) to grow food so how do they create energy from nothing?

"The Matrix" in sci-fi movies have polt holes shocker. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

t3h r0b0tz r in kuntr000l, we r t3h f00ds!

A plzthnx.

Haha, it is a good example of the brain in a jar thought experiment

I stopped going to lectures in "Problems of Philosophy" (1st year module I was taking as an elective) after a few weeks because it was boring. Spent 1/2 days in my room working on the paper, went to the library once for references. Looked through the notes online the few days beforehand and bull****ted the exam.

Final Grade: A-. You'll manage

Advertisement