Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-Time Jobs for Students

• 22-08-2007 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so Im coming up to UL in Sept. and I think Im going to need to find a part time job to sort my cash flow problems.

So does anyone know of anything going or of anywhere that does flexible hours or is good for hiring students?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Try Storm cinema perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

In Castletroy? Coz that would be perfect! Wat r hours like do u know?

Yea, Castletroy.

I think it's shift work, they can work around college but ya might need to do a shift during the week.

Hmmmmm interesting, how does one find out if they're recruiting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I think it's shift work

You should know if it's shift work or not after working there for the past 3 months, and its your second stint there as well!!!!
    how does one find out if they're recruiting?

Well I am a Supervisor there, and to be honest we are inundated with C.V's.
    We have dropped some of our staff since the beginning of the summer, due to a lack of hours available, and due to Blockbuster season ending.
    But we are always looking for new staff, and the staff turnover has decreased significantly. But also, we have some staff returning from their summer holidays who will be given preferential treatment when it comes to jobs being handed out.
    I hope I'm not putting you off working there, but if you want just PM me with any queries, or with a CV and I'll see what I can do for you.....

• Advertisement

Right ok. Thanks. So with all those other applications to process would I be better advised to focus my search elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Funny enough I was thinking of applying to Storm for part time work :D

Worked in Vue in Liffey Valley (when it was called Ster Century :rolleyes: ) a couple of years ago for the summer and have to say it was grand. The late hours were a bit tough but that was mostly cos I was travelling from Maynooth!

Are they still taking people on?

Are they still taking people on?

Like I said, we have dropped staff, and have a long list of people seeking a job, but we always require people as turnover can be kinda high due to people's college commitments etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Are there any other places offering gainful employment other than Storm? I badly need some work!

Otherwise, please tell me the location of the nearest bookies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

cson wrote:
    Are there any other places offering gainful employment other than Storm? I badly need some work!

Otherwise, please tell me the location of the nearest bookies....

Have a look throughout the city. I've seen a few places (like the vodafone store just outside Charlie Chaplins on the top of O'Connell Street) with part time / full time staff wanted notices on their windows. Trying a bookies wouldn't be a bad idea either. There's a William Hill bookmarkers just across the road from the bus station (formerly known as Ladbrokes).

It would be worth your while trying the bars too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

theres a bookies on the dublin rd near superdine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jtiernan

Try O2 in technological park. They have a special contract drawn up for students ;)

jtiernan wrote:
    Try O2 in technological park. They have a special contract drawn up for students ;)

In the tech park?! That'd be sweet! Do O2 actually hire students?

I really need to find work, I'd rather I wasn't feeding the Lodges coffers every night and I'd much rather I'd some cash coming in on the nights Im not not out. The Laccy timetable means Im finished at 1pm twice, 5pm tuesdays and I've thursdays off!

I'd nearly go public works at this stage or worse....go cleaning the jacks in the lodge :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Java's Cafe Bar

Hi there, we are currently taking CV's for staff to work in the cafe Bar we are opening next to the SPAR. If interested just email duncanotoole@eircom.net with CV. Experience essential.

cheers

Java's

Experience essential

Hmmm, I can make a good cup of coffee, does that count? Hire me!...please.

Due to college returning, Staff at Storm and too swamped with FYP's and general college assignments, and this has resulted in some ppl having to quit.
    This has left vacancies, so anybody with a CV drop it in now, not to me, but into the cinema. You never know how lucky you might get.

There is also my job going for grabs....Damn 3rd year Marketing is too intensive.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I gots me 8 hours in the SU. Pay's nothin like what I'm used to but then again neither is the pressure or inflexibility of other jobs I've had

Anyone know if theres anything else going on campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mossin wrote:
    There is also my job going for grabs....Damn 3rd year Marketing is too intensive.:mad:

4th year is worse.

Marketing for the win. If you've Maurice Patterson for Customer Behaviour, prepare for the best lectures of your time in UL, he's excellent. Also, who's lecturing Marketing Research?

How can anybody do accounting... It's beyond me!

Back on topic, I have 2 jobs, both on campus, but they're pretty low profile things!

I'd say take a stroll around town, you'll find somewhere with a sign up looking for staff!

4th year is worse.

Marketing for the win. If you've Maurice Patterson for Customer Behaviour, prepare for the best lectures of your time in UL, he's excellent. Also, who's lecturing Marketing Research?

People keep telling me 4th year is worse alright, but I kinda want to get this semester out of the way asap.

Yeah I'v got Maurice, he's fcuking great craic!!!
    Marketing Research is being done by Lisa O'Malley.

You must have loadsa projects I could borrow so yes/no??:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You must have loadsa projects I could borrow so yes/no??

Take it to PM folks. Not gonna have a lecturer track down boards over sharing of projects.

Seamus is lookin for people to deliver An Focal. 3 hours a week only though...still it's 25 yoyos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

ninty9er wrote:
    Seamus is lookin for people to deliver An Focal. 3 hours a week only though...still it's 25 yoyos
    Where could I contact him about it?

Rineanna wrote:
    Where could I contact him about it?

Call into the Students' Union and have a chat

So yes I have resurrected this thread as I am still no furthur in my search and the semester has moved on a bit now so any updates/changes in the job scene would be useful to me.

Mackleton wrote: »
    So yes I have resurrected this thread as I am still no furthur in my search and the semester has moved on a bit now so any updates/changes in the job scene would be useful to me.

Im in the same boat as you. :(

Emigration ftw! Then maybe you'll be on the same boat as me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Rio's takaway up near the lodge is looking for staff. 9.50 an hour. Seen the sign up there this morning.

Advertisement