Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Just so I'm sure...

I left UCD in January 2011 after doing a year and a half of Social Science.

Am I right in understanding that if I were to apply for the Back to Education Allowance to do Computer Science, that I wouldn't be eligible for free fees for my first three semesters? Either that, or I can wait until five years have passed to get free fees again?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

Telchak wrote: »
    Just so I'm sure...

Am I right in understanding that if I were to apply for the Back to Education Allowance to do Computer Science, that I wouldn't be eligible for free fees for my first three semesters? Either that, or I can wait until five years have passed to get free fees again?

No. Back to Education Allowance is just another word for "Unemployment Benefit" The Social is delighted to get people off the Live Register, and they want people to return to education. Since you didn't complete the full course, you are eligible for 'free fees' The best thing to do is contact UCD

grasshopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

I'm a little lost on all this. Can someone tell me when you can actually apply for the grant? Sorry, I know it probably sounds like a silly question.
    I did a PLC course before and it says on the SUSI that I should not apply for SUSI??

Hi there,

Applications for the 2013/2014 academic year are not yet being accepted. We will be updating the following pages as soon as a date has been decided:

www.studentfinance.ie

http://www.facebook.com/susisupport

https://twitter.com/Susihelpdesk

You will need to be progressing your education to be eligible for a student grant. If you have done a Level 5 course in a PLC college, you must be progressing on to a Level 6, 7 or 8.

If you are doing a repeat period of study you may not be entitled to receive funding.

There are many different circumstances, so if you would like you may PM me explaining your individual circumstances and I will be able to advise you accordingly.

Regards,
    Robbie
    No. Back to Education Allowance is just another word for "Unemployment Benefit" The Social is delighted to get people off the Live Register, and they want people to return to education. Since you didn't complete the full course, you are eligible for 'free fees' The best thing to do is contact UCD

grasshopper

Hi,

To be eligible for free fees, you must fulfil the following 3 course requirements.
    1. You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least 2 years' duration (or certain shorter courses in institutes of technology).

2. You must be a first-time full-time undergraduate. (However, prior undergraduate qualifications may be taken into consideration where exemptions are provided to a student pursuing a higher undergraduate qualification, to a maximum of Level 8 on the National Framework of Qualifications.)

3. In general, you must not be repeating the year because of failing your exams or changing course. This exclusion may be waived if you repeat a year due to certified serious illness. There are also some exceptions for students in institutes of technology that are switching courses.

The undergraduate courses for which the free fees arrangements apply are courses in:

• Universities
    • Institutes of technology
    • Publicly funded colleges of education
    • National College of Ireland
    • A number of religious education institutions

Free fees do not apply to courses in private colleges, whether they have Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC) approval or not. The fact that a course is listed by the Central Applications Office (CAO) is not, in itself, enough to make it a free fees course.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Kind regards,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm a little lost on all this. Can someone tell me when you can actually apply for the grant? Sorry, I know it probably sounds like a silly question.
    I did a PLC course before and it says on the SUSI that I should not apply for SUSI??

As per Robbies reply it is generally in the Summer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Telchak wrote: »
    Just so I'm sure...

Yeah you're right,you will have to pay full tuition for the first 3 semesters combined with the registration fee for each year. But for the following years (2 and half years for CS) you will return to free fees and only have the registration fees to worry about.

I'm in a similar position myself, I was in college 3 and a half years ago. I've chosen to wait for the remaining year and a half so I can get free frees again.

I have confirmed this with NUIM....unfortunately the above grasshoper post is incorrect.

Best of Luck

Regards
    Drezden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

grasshopper

As long as there are five years between the time you left the course and the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I've been awarded my fees for my first year, do I have to reapply for the second year?

I've been awarded my fees for my first year, do I have to reapply for the second year?

You don't apply for the free fees initiative. If you are eligible its awarded automatically.

if you mean the registration fee then SUSI will probably contact you at renewal time to declare your income again. If you are eligible under the revised income limits then they will pay the contribution on your behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You don't apply for the free fees initiative. If you are eligible its awarded automatically.

if you mean the registration fee then SUSI will probably contact you at renewal time to declare your income again. If you are eligible under the revised income limits then they will pay the contribution on your behalf.

Good morning all,

I apologise, I don’t think I explained clearly enough exactly what the Free Fees initiative is.

The Free Fee's initiative is an initiative run by the Department of Education and Skills to entitle first-time full-time students attending an undergraduate course to cover the cost of tuitions fees and the student contribution.

This scheme is completely separate from SUSI and any prospective Free Fees initiative applicant should consult the Department of Education and Skills directly for more information. I must add that each applicant is assessed for eligibility for the Free Fees Initiative on a case-by-case basis so I would strongly advise contacting the Department of Education should you have any queries.

Department of Education contact details:

http://www.education.ie/en/Contact-Us/

If you have been awarded with SUSI, then indeed you will need to apply for a renewal as soon as the applications for the 2013/2014 academic year are being accepted.

Should anyone have any further queries, as always please do not hesitate to PM me and I would be more than happy to assist if at all possible.

Again, apologies if I was not clear enough in the first instance.

Kind regards,
    Robbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ok, so heres a big problem I hope I can get some sort of assistance with, I applied to go to college as a mature student last year, was accepted but due to an unforeseen change in circumstance I had to defer for the year, no problem, until now when I realise I have let the deadline for re applying for my place pass (by a hell of a long way) I don't have any good excuse for this other then stress and a hectic working life the last few months.

Do I have any options to get back this year or do I have to start all over again next year?

• Advertisement

Kryogen, talk to CAO and the college asap. Basically you need to let them know you are still interested in the place.

Cheers for the reply, I had emailed the CAO, they got back to me this morning basically telling me the same thing, to get in touch with the admissions department at the college as it would now be there decision whether to accept me or not, have e mailed them so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AgeDefying

Hi all, just hoping you can clarify something for me.
    I graduated in 2002 from a level 8 course. Didn't get the grant for it. After working for a few years I went back to college & finished a masters in 2010. I paid full fees for it. I earned 60k last year & have been lucky enough to never have been on the dole. I will be 29 this summer & want to go back and do a 4 year level 8 undergrad. So I have 2 q's: 1. I know I will have to pay fees but will I have to pay for 4th yr as my previous undergrad was 3 yrs? And 2. I know I wouldn't get any type of a grant this year but what about from 2nd year on when I have no income? I know it's probably wishful thinking but the course will cost 40k before living expenses so I'm clutching at straws!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

AgeDefying wrote: »
    Hi all, just hoping you can clarify something for me.
    I graduated in 2002 from a level 8 course. Didn't get the grant for it. After working for a few years I went back to college & finished a masters in 2010. I paid full fees for it. I earned 60k last year & have been lucky enough to never have been on the dole. I will be 29 this summer & want to go back and do a 4 year level 8 undergrad. So I have 2 q's: 1. I know I will have to pay fees but will I have to pay for 4th yr as my previous undergrad was 3 yrs? And 2. I know I wouldn't get any type of a grant this year but what about from 2nd year on when I have no income? I know it's probably wishful thinking but the course will cost 40k before living expenses so I'm clutching at straws!

Its unlikely you will get anything if you have a masters

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭h2005

Hi, I am finishing my degree this semester but had to defer one of my christmas exams due to illness. Is it possible to remain on the BTEA until I have sat this?

h2005 wrote: »
    Hi, I am finishing my degree this semester but had to defer one of my christmas exams due to illness. Is it possible to remain on the BTEA until I have sat this?

If you are repeating the year fulltime it might be ok. I found this in the BTEA operational guidelines:
    BTEA participants who have to repeat a year of their course will continue to be paid the allowance for the repeat year. This is provided that the BTEA participant is registered and attending as a FULL-TIME student for the repeat year. Repeat students who register as external students, exam only students or part-time students for their repeat year are not eligible for the allowance. A person will only be allowed to repeat one academic year of their course of study on the basis of exam failure and/or exceptional circumstances,evidence of such to be provided. eg due to illness, pregnancy, force majeure reasons.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.14

But to be honest its up to social welfare so check with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I found a seasonal part time job which is due to end in October. I have applied for Tap course in Trinity that starts in Sept. I was reading up on the BTEA, it says you need to be getting a payment immediately before the course starts. I hae also applied to do psychology in Trinity, UCD, and Dun Laoghoire. These I take it start in October. If I just left my job in August will this make me ok to get BTEA? I'm slightly freaked as I can't find out exactly what I can or can't work if I want to get BTEA. I don't really want to sit on my behind until college starts. I'm a landscaper so it is easy enough to find a job for the summer.
    I will be working 3 days a week in the new job, I only get 98euro a week dole as I have savings, wondering will I still get some dole or be classed as being on dole so that even when working I will be getting this payment immediately before college starts.

abceire wrote: »
    I found a seasonal part time job which is due to end in October. I have applied for Tap course in Trinity that starts in Sept. I was reading up on the BTEA, it says you need to be getting a payment immediately before the course starts. I hae also applied to do psychology in Trinity, UCD, and Dun Laoghoire. These I take it start in October. If I just left my job in August will this make me ok to get BTEA? I'm slightly freaked as I can't find out exactly what I can or can't work if I want to get BTEA. I don't really want to sit on my behind until college starts. I'm a landscaper so it is easy enough to find a job for the summer.
    I will be working 3 days a week in the new job, I only get 98euro a week dole as I have savings, wondering will I still get some dole or be classed as being on dole so that even when working I will be getting this payment immediately before college starts.

Hmm. To get BTEA for a college course you need to be getting a Social Welfare payment immediately before starting the course and you need to have at least 234 signing days built up on the payment before the course starts. If you have been working on and off over the last few years social welfare can add up the time you were claiming for as long as there are no breaks of longer than a year.

So in your case to get BTEA for college you need to be some form of a social welfare payment up to this September and have 234 days built up on that payment.

Have you checked if you can get BTEA for TAP in Trinity itself? I have seen it being refused for the TCD course but it may be available for the affiliated courses in Pearse college and Plunkett college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I do have the 234 days worked up. I asked in with a nice lady in the Social Welfare office and she said TAP in Trinity should be ok to get a BTEA for. I've applied to do it in Pearse college too.
    Can I be getting say 3 days dole and working 3 days a week, and leave the part time job to do college full time and get BTEA.
    Cheers for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Bit of a complicated one here, was wondering if anybody can help?

I dropped out of a degree program in 2006, i was in second year. I have been working full time since and now want to change career. However, while working, i studied for a level 6 diploma, part time.

Does anybody know if i would qualify for free fee's foe a degree programme?

I emailed the fees office of the college i wish to attend, but they didnt respond.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement

abceire wrote: »
    I do have the 234 days worked up. I asked in with a nice lady in the Social Welfare office and she said TAP in Trinity should be ok to get a BTEA for. I've applied to do it in Pearse college too.
    Can I be getting say 3 days dole and working 3 days a week, and leave the part time job to do college full time and get BTEA.
    Cheers for the advice!

Are you on casual jobseekers? (do you fill in a docket each week?)

Prior to the last budget you could receive btea and work part time, with no penalty, the situation is slightly different now i believe.

I dropped out of a degree program in 2006, i was in second year. I have been working full time since and now want to change career. However, while working, i studied for a level 6 diploma, part time.

Does anybody know if i would qualify for free fee's foe a degree programme?

Was your level 6 qualification a HETAC or FETAC one?
    If its FETAC you should be ok.
    If its HETAC you might not get free fees etc for the first two years of the new course on the strength of having received a qualification at HETAC level 6 as its generally considered to be a 2 year full-time programme.
    If its only a partial credit or specific purpose level 6 award you might be ok for full free fees.
    Maybe you could ring the relevant admissions dept instead of fees. They might be able to help you?

Was your level 6 qualification a HETAC or FETAC one?
    If its FETAC you should be ok.
    If its HETAC you might not get free fees etc for the first two years of the new course on the strength of having received a qualification at HETAC level 6 as its generally considered to be a 2 year full-time programme.
    If its only a partial credit or specific purpose level 6 award you might be ok for full free fees.
    Maybe you could ring the relevant admissions dept instead of fees. They might be able to help you?

Thanks for the response. I'ts not fetac, so id imagine it's hetac, its provided by a part of the NUI.

I was under the impression that i requalified for free fees under the second chance rule, and that although i had studied part time, one i was progressing to a qualification higher on the scale, i would still qualify for free fees.

Its awkward because i keep getting different answers depending on who i ask:)

Many thanks for the help though, will contact the college again when they are open for phone enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 haywire1989

Just a quick question. I am going to college as a mature-student in September, I have already checked with my local Socail Welfare office and I qualify for Back to Education allowance. I should qualify for Free Fee's too as I've never attended college before.

I was just wondering if a mature student can still apply to SUSI to get help with the student contribution charge even if in receipt of BEA and Free Fee's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Just a quick question. I am going to college as a mature-student in September, I have already checked with my local Socail Welfare office and I qualify for Back to Education allowance. I should qualify for Free Fee's too as I've never attended college before.

I was just wondering if a mature student can still apply to SUSI to get help with the student contribution charge even if in receipt of BEA and Free Fee's?

Yes, you can apply to SUSI to get the Contribution Charge.

Not exactly a typical question for here I know but would anybody have an idea of how intensive first year accounting is in terms of classes per day? Trying to figure out childcare and my girlfriend will be doing her third year of nursing so will be gone most of the week

Just trying to work out will I need a creche or would my schedule be flexible enough that I can work around it just getting my mother to look after the little fella now and then

kryogen wrote: »
    Not exactly a typical question for here I know but would anybody have an idea of how intensive first year accounting is in terms of classes per day? Trying to figure out childcare and my girlfriend will be doing her third year of nursing so will be gone most of the week

Have you asked the college for this years class schedule?

Have you asked the college for this years class schedule?

No was just hoping that someone would have an idea is all, will do that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i did a plc coarse in 2008 and received BTEA now im doing a degree in september will i be able to get both the grant and BTEA?

• Advertisement

If you are currently on Jobseekers you can get BTEA for your degree if you meet the eligibility criteria and you can get a fee grant from SUSI to cover registration fees but you cant get the maintenance grant. However if you are on One Parent Family Payment or a disability payment you might be able to keep those payments and get the fee & maintenance grants.

Advertisement