Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Betty Swallocks 83

I got accepted to DIT today. I did a level 6 FETAC course two years ago and was on BTEA. The course in DIT is also level 6 as I will be going into year 2 of a cert before going on to a degree, as technically its not advancing, will I still be eligible for BTEA does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 haywire1989

Left school in 2007 with a decent Leaving Certificate. Took up a job as an apprentice electrician, completed phase 2 (2008) and phase 4(2010) and was laid off due to the lack of work.

Ive been accepted, as a mature student, to a Higher Cert in Business course for September, it's a 2 year HETAC course with an option to progress to a Level 8 degree.

Im just worried I wont qualify for any sort of grant because an apprenticeship is a FETAC level 6, whilst the Higher Cert is a HETAC level 6.

Would doing a HETAC level 6 course count as progression from a FETAC level 6? I do not want to wait for 2 more years so I can avail of the second-chance rule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Would doing a HETAC level 6 course count as progression from a FETAC level 6? I do not want to wait for 2 more years so I can avail of the second-chance rule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

They are 2 different levels. A FETAC level 6 is viewed as a lower level of qualification than a HETAC level 6 so you can progress from the FETAC to the HETAC course.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 beardybob

Can a mature student go back to do anything or is there only certain things???:confused:

beardybob wrote: »
    Can a mature student go back to do anything or is there only certain things???:confused:

I dont think I've come across anything that was specifically off limits to mature students except maybe through the age restrictions in the guards, prison officers and defense forces.

Some courses will look for you to have certain entry requirements. These can include Leaving Cert subjects (though the vast majority of courses won't require a mature student to have a Leaving cert). Other entry requirements can include FETAC courses or modules, access courses and/or specific kinds of work experience.
    The best thing to do might be to look at courses in the field that interest you and get an idea of what the criteria for application are for mature students. You can look up a lot of course information on www.qualifax.ie including specific details as to mature course entry.

Just bear in mind that although mature applicants may not need specific qualifications to apply for a course many applicants would have recent prior learning completed before applying to college, e.g. Leaving cert or FETAC courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 davidhhhh

Hi Guys,I am always on boards but I have never registered until now. You all seem to bea helpful bunch and maybe you could help me out. I have just completed my firstyear of an MA in England. All my classmates get a bursary of the NHS which Ialso applied for, but they informed me that I was not entitled to receive it. Beforestarting the course I also looked around to see if i could get any funding from theIrish authorities, but nothing seemed available. I was just wondering if youthink I could be entitled to anything. I left a job to this, I have neversigned on before and I am totally self-funded which is a struggle. I also onlywent to the UK for the sole purpose of studying there, so I have never livedthere before. Any help or advice would really be appreciated, thanks David))

davidhhhh wrote: »

Hi Guys,I am always on boards but I have never registered until now. You all seem to bea helpful bunch and maybe you could help me out. I have just completed my firstyear of an MA in England. All my classmates get a bursary of the NHS which Ialso applied for, but they informed me that I was not entitled to receive it. Beforestarting the course I also looked around to see if i could get any funding from theIrish authorities, but nothing seemed available. I was just wondering if youthink I could be entitled to anything. I left a job to this, I have neversigned on before and I am totally self-funded which is a struggle. I also onlywent to the UK for the sole purpose of studying there, so I have never livedthere before. Any help or advice would really be appreciated, thanks David))

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any maintenance funding for postgrad study for Irish students in the UK. However that's not to say it doesn't exist.

Fee grants are available for courses in Northern Ireland only. Maintenance grants for post grad students in Irish universities were cut completely a couple of budgets ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi David,

Unfortunately, I haven't come across any maintenance funding for postgrad study for Irish students in the UK. However that's not to say it doesn't exist.

Fee grants are available for courses in Northern Ireland only. Maintenance grants for post grad students in Irish universities were cut completely a couple of budgets ago.

Sorry to cut in here, but I have applied for my SUSI grant for my masters here in Galway, and have been on BTEA for the past 3 years with no other income .. I have heard a small percentage get their fees paid (mine is 6k), do you know anything about fees?

Sorry to cut in here, but I have applied for my SUSI grant for my masters here in Galway, and have been on BTEA for the past 3 years with no other income .. I have heard a small percentage get their fees paid (mine is 6k), do you know anything about fees?

Fee grants for postgrad students are available subject to you meeting the eligibility criteria detailed here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html
    Postgraduate students who meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant will be eligible to have their post-graduate tuition fees paid up to the maximum fee limit (€6,270). Please note the income limit for the Special rate is €22,703.
    A further limited number of students who would previously have qualified under the standard grant thresholds will qualify to have a €2,000 contribution made towards the costs of their fees.
    The income threshold for the €2,000 payment is €31,000 (where there are less than than 4 dependent children). The other limits are on the website link.

Also BTEA is not usually available for post grad courses beyond H.Dip level unless you have progressed straight to a Masters course without doing a degree. Maybe check this with DSP.

Fee grants for postgrad students are available subject to you meeting the eligibility criteria detailed here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9543/postgraduate-students/index.html

The income threshold for the €2,000 payment is €31,000 (where there are less than than 4 dependent children). The other limits are on the website link.

Also BTEA is not usually available for post grad courses beyond H.Dip level unless you have progressed straight to a Masters course without doing a degree. Maybe check this with DSP.

Ah thanks I know most of this already actually as I have applied to SUSI, I am also aware I won't get BTEA, I was looking for more detailed info but thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

What kind of details are you looking for?

What kind of details are you looking for?
    I was old by the fees office in Galway that most people get 2,000 and only some get 2,650 or whatever and a few get 6k.. so I was just wondering how many people actually get their fees paid .. I think I may get mine paid for now actually ..my income was 11k last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was old by the fees office in Galway that most people get 2,000 and only some get 2,650 or whatever and a few get 6k.. so I was just wondering how many people actually get their fees paid .. I think I may get mine paid for now actually ..my income was 11k last year.

This is how you qualify for the 6270

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html
    Special rate of grant for disadvantaged students
    Disadvantaged postgraduate students who meet a number of conditions can get tuition fees paid and essential field trips (up to €6,270).

To qualify for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students:

You must have satisfied the conditions for the standard maintenance grant under the Student Grant Scheme for the academic year 2013-2014. Detailed information on the standard maintenance grant is available in out document on Grants for student in further and higher education
    Your total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2012 must not be more than €22,703, net of social welfare Qualified Child Increases and standard exclusions
    If you are an independent student, you must be getting certain social welfare payment or participating in a designated programme on 31 December 2012 – see below. If you are dependent on your parents, your parent(s)/guardian(s) must be getting certain social welfare payment or participating in a designated programme on 31 December 2012 – see below.
    Qualifying social welfare payments and programmes:

Long-term social welfare payments
    Family Income Supplement (FIS)
    Designated programmes (for example, a Community Employment Scheme).
    These payments and programmes are listed in Schedule 2 of the Student Grant Scheme 2013 (pdf).

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The max you generally get towards postgrad fees from the grant is €6270.
    To get this you need to have been on a payment from this list http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1369294563/Schedule_2_2013.14.pdf and have an income of less than €22,703 in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Hi guys.

I am 26, I started my course in September 2010, I turned 23 in April 2010, do you know am I entitled to JSA for the summer months?

I'm confused by the information below.

Does it mean I am only entitled to JSA if I had turned 23 before January 2010??
    thanks

JA Disqualification - course of study

The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :

1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.

Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davidhhhh

Thanks Paperclip for your reply)If anybody else has any advice can they let me know!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I just received an email about SUSI grants. Are they totally different from BTEA money?
    I will know at the end of July if I have got a place on the Trinity Access Programme or not. Also I am currently working 3 days a week on casual labour. I'm a little stressed as this email about SUSI says I've to apply by 01/08/13 and I was not planning on being finished up in work until two weeks after this. Do I have to be fully unemployed to look for the BTEA grant? I don't get any dole payment as I've some savings, I was only getting 98 euro a week before I got this job again because I'd savings.
    Is there anywhere I Can go to get advice face to face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

abceire wrote: »
    I just received an email about SUSI grants. Are they totally different from BTEA money?
    I will know at the end of July if I have got a place on the Trinity Access Programme or not. Also I am currently working 3 days a week on casual labour. I'm a little stressed as this email about SUSI says I've to apply by 01/08/13 and I was not planning on being finished up in work until two weeks after this. Do I have to be fully unemployed to look for the BTEA grant? I don't get any dole payment as I've some savings, I was only getting 98 euro a week before I got this job again because I'd savings.
    susi goes on your income from 2012 and not now so it doesn't matter if your working now its what you were doing from jan 2012 to dec 2012.

You need to be on social welfare payment for 12 months or 9 months not sure to get btea

Also i have not got a place in college yet like most others but you still have to apply thats the way it works. Not sure if the grant covers the fees fo access programs you should check that also

BTEA and SUSI are totally different

In order to get BTEA you need to have been receiving jobseekers for 9 months

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course.

*If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment.

If you receive BTEA you can apply to SUSI for a fee grant which will cover the student contribution fee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks guys and gals, I hope to finish up in work in time to get the BTEA, the course I'm trying to do has no fees so suppose I don't need to worry about SUSI, I qualify for both SUSI and BTEA just wondered which was the one I should go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It seems my long awaited return to college is going to have to be put on hold for another year. The person who was going to look after my kids has had to pull out due to health reasons, I cant afford childcare for them both and will have to keep working while in college also so would need plenty of cover.

The problem is I have already accepted my course so how do I go about deferring now does anybody know?

Thanks in advance

Thanks guys and gals, I hope to finish up in work in time to get the BTEA, the course I'm trying to do has no fees so suppose I don't need to worry about SUSI, I qualify for both SUSI and BTEA just wondered which was the one I should go for.

BTEA is better

Terry Pratchet

kryogen wrote: »
    It seems my long awaited return to college is going to have to be put on hold for another year. The person who was going to look after my kids has had to pull out due to health reasons, I cant afford childcare for them both and will have to keep working while in college also so would need plenty of cover.

The problem is I have already accepted my course so how do I go about deferring now does anybody know?

Thanks in advance

Contact the college

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Hi,
    I've accepted an offer for an undergraduate course in AIT, have applied to SUSI for the fee grant and I'm in the process of filling out the application for BTEA. There are a few things I'm unsure about that I'm hoping someone here can advise me on.

1. I'm only on jobseekers allowance 1 month since finishing a VTOS course where I was paid by VTOS. Will I still qualify for the 9/12 month rule?
    2. Do I need a letter from the college to confirm I'm registered on the course or will the letter of acceptance from CAO be enough to accompany the form?
    3. I have yet to receive something from the college with start and finish dates of the course, is this something I should expect in the post, or do I need to contact the admissions office?
    The lady in the social welfare office said she'd help me out with the application but I'd like to have everything I need with me when I bring it in, so any advice or info is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

GL scrappy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've accepted an offer for an undergraduate course in AIT, have applied to SUSI for the fee grant and I'm in the process of filling out the application for BTEA. There are a few things I'm unsure about that I'm hoping someone here can advise me on.

1. I'm only on jobseekers allowance 1 month since finishing a VTOS course where I was paid by VTOS. Will I still qualify for the 9/12 month rule?
    2. Do I need a letter from the college to confirm I'm registered on the course or will the letter of acceptance from CAO be enough to accompany the form?
    3. I have yet to receive something from the college with start and finish dates of the course, is this something I should expect in the post, or do I need to contact the admissions office?
    The lady in the social welfare office said she'd help me out with the application but I'd like to have everything I need with me when I bring it in, so any advice or info is welcome.

hi, well done on getting accepted.

1st you time on your VTOS course counts for your application for BTEA, so you have no problems there.

2nd apply for btea now and when you have registered with the collage you will get a letter to confirming reg, which you then bring to your welfare office. Depending on the course you are doing, you normally register in September.

3rd on the start and finish of the course you haven't mentioned how many years its for but most are September till June, you don't really worry about the day you start on the BTEA form, as once you have the reg letter from the collage it will have those details.

Need any more info give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

Thanks a million Sean, appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Do they back date the btea when you eventually start the course? Say I am on jobseekers, I start my course 2nd week in september, so I cant claim the social welfare that week,as in college, so when I register and get the letter, there could be a week or two lapse with payments, will they pay from the day the course started and backdate it from there?

sean1976 wrote: »
    hi, well done on getting accepted.

1st you time on your VTOS course counts for your application for BTEA, so you have no problems there.

2nd apply for btea now and when you have registered with the collage you will get a letter to confirming reg, which you then bring to your welfare office. Depending on the course you are doing, you normally register in September.

3rd on the start and finish of the course you haven't mentioned how many years its for but most are September till June, you don't really worry about the day you start on the BTEA form, as once you have the reg letter from the collage it will have those details.

Need any more info give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

bri007 wrote: »
    Do they back date the btea when you eventually start the course? Say I am on jobseekers, I start my course 2nd week in september, so I cant claim the social welfare that week,as in college, so when I register and get the letter, there could be a week or two lapse with payments, will they pay from the day the course started and backdate it from there?

im not to sure, for me as soon as I brought them the reg letter my payment just changed from a Tuesday to a Thursday. Once you have been approved for BTEA pre register for collage the change over from job seekers to BTEA was straight away.
    Another tip make sure to apply for the heating allowance while you are on job seeker allowance as for some reason you can't get it on BTEA

I'm been lat go from work, I've been to social welfare and have to wait until 16/08 to go back with all the paper work. They said I should get a payment the week after. I'm looking to apply for the BTEA so I was planning to wait until I got a payment to apply. I wondered is that ok? Get back signing on then apply? I wondered how late you can apply for BTEA? I have a letter offering me a place already so I Can use that to apply and when I register mid Sept give in that reg letter from the college to BTEA.
    Does that all sound doable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

bri007 wrote: »

Nothing will change as such -maybe the day when it's lodged into your a/c. You're still going to get the same amount, just the name has changed to BTEA. The only thing that changes is you don't sign on every month. When you register at college you'll get a Certificate of Attendance which you send to the dole office. Good luck, grasshopper1

Advertisement