Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My head is wrecked !!!

Options
  • 22-08-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Ok folks,

My head is melted with all the advice I have been getting from friends etc regarding which sat nav to buy.

I just need you to shout out which you prefer.... I want full Irish, Europe & North America maps & bluetooth phone option.

Tom Tom GO910

or

Garmin 670

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Option C.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

My Preferance : Tom Tom GO910 !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Option C.

I always knew clowns were Eviiiiiil. :D

Yeah Sharkman,
    I was all prepared to rush out and spend my hard earned on a Tom Tom until a few mates (one of which a knowall taxi driver :rolleyes: ) said that blah blah Garmin best blash blah Tom Tom sh1te blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In all seriousness, it's a decision you have to make yourself on how much the products are going to suit your personal needs. Read the owners manuals, look at the specs, and find the one differentiating useful feature that will be useful for you, that is not present in the other device. If you can't differentiate between the two, go for the one with the best price, or warranty, or sales/return service.

Personally, I'm a Garmin fan and would be Garmin all of the way. Garmin currently lead the World in GPS receiver sales, but it's a very close thing, with Garmin having 24.9% of the world sales market, and TomTom having 24.3% of the market.

I find that the Garmin software is a little more 'open' and their formats 'seem' to be more accepted by the 3rd party companies developing GPS software solutions, but that may also be part of my bias.

No help at all, I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

keefg wrote:
    Ok folks,

My head is melted with all the advice I have been getting from friends etc regarding which sat nav to buy.

I just need you to shout out which you prefer.... I want full Irish, Europe & North America maps & bluetooth phone option.

Tom Tom GO910

or

Garmin 670

cheers
    For what its worth. The whole damn caboodle, I reckon, hangs on the quality of the maps and the inbuilt receiver in the GPS of your choice. I went for Navteq maps as being best for Ireland and I went for the SiRf Star 111 receiver - god knows what that means - but it gets great praise for its sensitivity etc., from all quarters. Then - to cover everything else (I hope!) - I went for the expensive-ish Garmin nuvi 660. Still in the box but I can't wait to get it up and running. As I say - for what its worth. Cheers Michael r. ps Make sure you get Version 9 (V 8 Superceeded ) if going Garmin route.(Version 10 coming out around January 2008 - don't register your new Garmin until then - makes you eligible for free upgrade to V10) .

• Advertisement

OK ladies, thanks for your info & opinions.

I have ordered a go910 of the interpostwebthingy for 400 notes. Garmin was 300 odd dearer so my wallet made the decision for me.

No doubt I shall post my opinions of the 910 on this fine site at some point in the future. I am heading to US in a couple of weeks so interested to see how it performs.

If you don't hear from me by end of Sept then consider me lost in the Arizona desert somewhere & the Tom Tom go910 is sh1te :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

For what its worth. The whole damn caboodle, I reckon, hangs on the quality of the maps and the inbuilt receiver in the GPS of your choice.

Yes, but do not forget about service/support.

I can vouch for Tomtom. I damaged my car charger unit. I contacted Tomtom and received a replacement within 1 week. No charge, no quibbles.
    Perhaps other manufacturers are as good but to me this was an excellent
    customer service. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

tomtom go 910.

Have one myself, great unit.

Can recommend it.:D

OK folks.

Got my shiny new go910 and used it yesterday for trip from Naas to Deansgrange in Dub.

I was not impressed. :mad:

No matter how I tried to enter my destination, it would not locate Deans (dean's) Grange.

First entered city as Dublin, this gave me the option of Dublin (City) or South Dublin, tried both of these to no avail, I was even given the name of a nearby street in Foxrock to get me as near as poss but no luck with this either. :mad: :mad: :mad:

OK , tell me what version of maps you have . Tap the icon on the bottom left of your screen and then tap copyright , this should bring you to a screen which has info on the maps .

As for destinations .

Enter Blackrock as the city as some versions of the maps have the various "boroughs" as city's for Dublin .

• Advertisement

Hi Sharkman,

I have version/App 6.525
    GPS v 1.21 Boot 4.86
    Map: Western & Central Europe v660.1219

I hope this means more to you than me.

Cheers, Keef

sharkman wrote:
    As for destinations .

Enter Blackrock as the city as some versions of the maps have the various "boroughs" as city's for Dublin .

Hi Sharkman.

Just tried this and entered city as Blackrock and found the street in Dean's Grange I was looking for.

My gripe is (not with you :) ) that I wouldn't always know what street is is which borough and I thought the whole point of satnav was to make it easy as poss to get to your destination - as far as I was aware, Dean's Grange is in Dublin. Seems like I have to look at a map first to find exact location and borough - which in my mind defeats the whole point of having satnav, might as well just bring the map.

I will probably use this more in the UK as US when I am travelling for work so should be easier to use the postcode & zipcode function.

Thanks for your help mate.

Keef

You will get the hang of it fairly quickly . It's only on version 660 as version 6.75 you just enter Dublin for city .

Drop me a Pm and I'll go through some more stuff with you .

Advertisement