Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invoicing sole trader

Options
  • 22-08-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I am a sole trader and am about to invoice a client, but i am unsure how to fillout the invoice. the invoice is for a IT services

should i put vat on it ? if not do i pay vat on the amount invoiced ?

are there any other tax etc issues i should put on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Yeah, put VAT on it, if the company dont like it - they will just subtract it.

try keep your invoices numbered - it will make both your and the company's life easier..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

put vat on it despite not having a vat number ?

if your a sole trader you should have a vat number...

if your only after setting up it will take a few days to come out to you...

You should have a VAT number but no cert of incorp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jameshayes wrote:

No, you only need to register for VAT if your turnover is over a certain limit.

Mostly likley if will be, if you are full time, but the OP might be part time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

crowej wrote:
    put vat on it despite not having a vat number ?

If you are not registered for VAT, you should not charge VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

crowej wrote:
    I am a sole trader and am about to invoice a client, but i am unsure how to fillout the invoice. the invoice is for a IT services

Just sent you a pm crowej

Thanks

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Im pretty sure if you are not vat registered then you should be putting your pps number on it. You should really check this stuff out with an accountant though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

depending on your client, this may apply

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/revguide/witholdingtaxprofessionalfees.htm

Its important for cashflow purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jameshayes wrote:
    Yeah, put VAT on it, if the company dont like it - they will just subtract it.

try keep your invoices numbered - it will make both your and the company's life easier..

INCORRECT

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote:

INCORRECT ..AGAIN!!

crowej wrote:

All invoices should clearly state, service provided, invoice date, invoice number, amount, the amount subject to VAT, the VAT rate and the VAT amount due but note you can only charge VAT if you are VAT registered.

There are a myriad of terms and conditions concerning VAT and other taxes eg witholding tax (professional fees), RCT, C2 etc etc apply at payment stage and not relevant here.

The most important person to ensure proper records are kept are the VAT records, much more vigilant than PAYE/PRSI, DO NOT mess around with VAT, or you will suffer serious consequences. As the saying goes, 'keep the VATman happy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mckers

Sonnenblumen is absolutely right.

The registration limit for VAT for a person supplying a service rather than goods is in c€27,000. If you are over this limit or expect to be over this limit, then you need to register. If you are under this limit you have the option to register. Being VAT registered will obviously entitle you to reclaim VAT on your purchases, so where you are under the reg limit, this will need to be considered.

If VAT registered, you are more than likely charging 21% vat on your invoices.

Advertisement