Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Randy Couture versus Gabriel Gonazga

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fozzy wrote:
    Randy's just amazing

Fighter payouts from mmanews.com:

-Randy Couture ($250,000) def. Gabriel Gonzaga ($45,000)
    -Georges St. Pierre ($140,000) def. Josh Koscheck ($10,000)
    -Roger Huerta ($34,000) def. Alberto Crane ($4,000)
    -Joe Stevenson ($32,000) def. Kurt Pellegrino ($8,000)
    -Patrick Cote ($24,000) def. Kendall Grove ($12,000)
    -Renato "Babalu" Sobral ($50,000) def. David Heath ($6,000)
    -Frank Mir ($72,000) def. Antoni Hardonk ($8,000)
    -Thales Leites ($18,000) def. Ryan Jensen ($4,000)
    -Clay Guida ($14,000) def. Marcus Aurelio ($30,000)

Total fighter pay outs: $761,00

God you really have to be a name to get paid well by UFC. I can`t believe that Koscheck was only on ten grand! Id say that anyone earning 10 grand or less would have a hard time making a profit when you factor in the training camps etc.

Its a joke that Mir gets seven times more than Josh Koscheck and 18 times as much as Alberto Crane! And he and Babalou didn't even make the PPV! UFC really do screw the fighters a lot of the time. Its just not right. But I guess they are really the only show in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think the likes of Koscheck and Grove only get that much because of the long-term deals they signed coming out of The Ultimate Fighter. They got signed for six fights or something like that, but the downside is that they don't get paid as much as others. Sean Sherk got $28,000 for his last fight and Huerta got more here, that's a little surprising

The guys who signed from Pride seem to be getting huge payouts, obviously something previously written into their contracts. Nogueira got $200,000 for his debut match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

woooo232 wrote:
    God you really have to be a name to get paid well by UFC. I can`t believe that Koscheck was only on ten grand! Id say that anyone earning 10 grand or less would have a hard time making a profit when you factor in the training camps etc.

Koscheck is most likely getting a ppv bonus as his fight was touted as part of a double main event. Generally, the main eventers get a dollar for each ppv buy. For example, Rampage Jackson made over a million from his last fight with Chuck even though his base pay was something like 200000 dollars.

Plus Koscheck and basically every other fighter is a walking advertisement coming to the ring. He's not starving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Should we be very surprised at this stage?! I learned my lesson after the Silvia fight not to be surprised with anything Couture does and I probably should have learned it earlier than that. The guy is just special.

damn straight. How he managed to stay on his feet after that kick to the head i'll never know. I think that kick would have knocked many fighters out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I wonder how those fight purses are negotiated; as in, how much are they guaranteed and what is the bonus for winning. As in, how would George St Pierre have been paid had he lost?

Anyway, fair play to Randy. It is inspirational stuff to watch him do his thing. Very nerve wracking too; I can never shake the fear that he might always be one hard kick and punch away from defeat, and that only works one way with him. Brilliant as he is, I can't really imagine him finishing an opponent with one shot; an opponent will always have a bit of recovery time.

That take-down in the first round was truly awesome.

Wacker wrote:
    I wonder how those fight purses are negotiated; as in, how much are they guaranteed and what is the bonus for winning. As in, how would George St Pierre have been paid had he lost?

Like I said earlier the main event guys like GSP get a gross wage (140,000 in this case) and then get a percentage about a dollar for each ppv buy although I would guess it varies for each fighter, win or lose. He could easily have ended up in the high 6 figures for the fight.

For other fighters they generally get 4,000 dollars as a first time appearance and then it build ups. From what I can remember, many get double if they win.

There's also bonus's for best knockout, best submission and best fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Wacker wrote:
    That take-down in the first round was truly awesome.

Your some man for the take-downs!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't normally watch UFC but I caught this on Bravo a few days ago and found it very compelling. That kick from Gonzaga was something else and Couture hardly broke a sweat. That was impressive.

Was good entertainment. I then switched over to Heat where they showed a match on Raw where Kennedy and Carlito fought to a draw. That was not good entertainment.

I'm starting to realise why you guys like MMA. ;)

Was good entertainment. I then switched over to Heat where they showed a match on Raw where Kennedy and Carlito fought to a draw. That was not good entertainment.

That match was so so bad

Joe Stevenson has said in an interview that it was his nose that got broken, not his jaw. Josh Barnett has written something on his Myspace to the effect of "I'm the real champ, I still have the real UFC heavyweight title and I can beat Randy". Sort of comes across as a a badly worked heel promo to me, whereas Brock's is a top-class one

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    Josh Barnett has written something on his Myspace to the effect of "I'm the real champ, I still have the real UFC heavyweight title and I can beat Randy". Sort of comes across as a a badly worked heel promo to me, whereas Brock's is a top-class one

If you look on MMA boards including this one, people bought it, including me!

According to the figure four newsletter, the plan is for Couture to fight Fedor early next year, if they manage to sign him. If that falls through, it'll be either be Nogueira or Mirko Cro Cop. If Mirko was impressive in his next fight against Kongo, I'd go with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fozzy wrote:
    Joe Stevenson has said in an interview that it was his nose that got broken, not his jaw. Josh Barnett has written something on his Myspace to the effect of "I'm the real champ, I still have the real UFC heavyweight title and I can beat Randy". Sort of comes across as a a badly worked heel promo to me, whereas Brock's is a top-class one

You might not be aware of Barnetts history. He beat Randy for the Heavyweight title at UFC 36 ( I think, might be wrong about the event ) but would be stripped of the title for failing his drugs test after the fight.

He would leave the UFC but always claim he had never juiced. I have read several interviews where he has said he was waiting to see where Fedor would sign with, and then try and sign with the same promotion as he wants to fight Fedor. He is currently in limbo after Pride was bought out by the UFC so he could just be angling for a big pay day fight with Couture should he sign for the UFC and he does need to do something to keep his name in circulation.

Dragan wrote:
    You might not be aware of Barnetts history. He beat Randy for the Heavyweight title at UFC 36 ( I think, might be wrong about the event ) but would be stripped of the title for failing his drugs test after the fight.

He would leave the UFC but always claim he had never juiced. I have read several interviews where he has said he was waiting to see where Fedor would sign with, and then try and sign with the same promotion as he wants to fight Fedor. He is currently in limbo after Pride was bought out by the UFC so he could just be angling for a big pay day fight with Couture should he sign for the UFC and he does need to do something to keep his name in circulation.

Oh yeah, I know all that, it's just that if the UFC were going to sign him up I think they'd have done it by now, so Barnett just came across as a little bitter to me. I actually think that Barnett would beat Randy, but by downplaying Randy's status as the UFC Heavyweight Champ it makes Barnett look bad I think

Fozzy wrote:
    Oh yeah, I know all that, it's just that if the UFC were going to sign him up I think they'd have done it by now, so Barnett just came across as a little bitter to me. I actually think that Barnett would beat Randy, but by downplaying Randy's status as the UFC Heavyweight Champ it makes Barnett look bad I think

Did you think Couture would beat Gonazga?

Did you think Couture would beat Gonazga?

I said I thought Couture would win at the start of this thread

Fozzy wrote:
    I said I thought Couture would win at the start of this thread

Sorry.

Okay. I just feel it is a mistake to write Couture's chances off against anyone at this stage. Well, perhaps against the likes of Fedor.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't write Randy off against anyone, but I do think Barnett would have a better chance than most. He's the only man to have already beaten Randy for the heavyweight title! Even if he did cheat to do it

I don't think it's too unreasonable to pick Barnett given the level of opponent he's fought. It's probably something neither guy has to worry about though.

Just on Barnett from wrestlingobserver.com :
    There was a UFC press conference today with the big news being Renato Sobral being dropped from his contract. Dan Henderson's wife had a baby girl last night.

Dana White clearly got an enemy in Josh Barnett as when he was asked about Barnett calling Randy Couture a paper champion, he said, "Nobody gives a **** about Josh Barnett, especially me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I love Dana White for being straight up though, he just doesn't give a rats. As long as he, his boys and his promotion are doing well. He's happy.

And right now, UFC is doing very well :D
    VR!

Babalu's got to be feeling pretty stupid right now. That fight on Saturday was being called a must-win fight for him as it was the last of his contract and he had to fight impressively if he was going to get it renewed. Maybe he wouldn't have had it renewed anyway, but he's only got himself to blame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Balls to it anyways. Only the expensive tickets for Saturday are left over. Convinced the buddy yesterday and all :( .

Anyone know any other option that ticketmaster?

Advertisement