Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture

Options
  • 22-08-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

So I'm starting architecture in dit next month and I'd be really appreciative if anyone could tell me what exactly I'm in for, mainly with regards to the timetable, will I really be in 9-6 everyday??!!:confused:
    Also the UCD prospectus says something about buying €300 worth of drawing equipment and a laptop at some stage?
    If there's anyone who has completed or is currently undergoing architecture I'd like to hear ur opinions on the whole set up and if you enjoyed it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

i did architectural technology in DIT which is a similar timetable as far as i know. Its usually 9-5 or 6. usually a lot of this time is allocated to studio work, where you work on your current project. I had 9-5 every day, with 1 hr a day lecture, and the rest studio time.

as regards drawing equipment, someone came in from a stationary shop across the road first day, and flogged off all their gear to us which added up to €300 or thereabouts.

My best advice would be to budget for the equipment, but dont buuy everything you are told to buy. I only used half of the stuff if even. so set aside the money and when you need something you can get it. Obviously clutch pencils and a scale ruler etc.. but be wary when they start to show you A1 drawing boards for €150 that you may never use...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

use common sense when buyin equipment, all you reallin need is a good set of pencils, and a decent ruler. thats it
    the rest are optional and if you are good you wont need them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi best of luck with the course, I look forward to talking to you in the first few weeks of college before you retreat into the "I'm an architect, I only speak to architects, I have soooooooooooooo many projects to finish" mindset!

Seriously though best of luck with it, lived with a 3rd year architect last year, he constantly had mountains of work but enjoyed the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭mickydi

Hi I have a brother doing architecture in UCD and know couple of people who are at Queen's and U.U. seems to be pretty heavy work load no matter where you go .... easily full days and I know my brother and his friends often works in the studio until closing especially when trying to meet deadlines ... at Queen's and U.U. they can and do work there all night.
    Maybe if you are uber talented it's a bit easier. Crits can be pretty tough ... the lecturers can be scathing in their comments if they don't like a project and from what I gather the thing is not to take it to heart ... everyone gets a bum crit sometime. To be positive despite the tough course my brother and the others all like what they are doing. Good luck with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Thanks for the response, I'm actually quite looking forward to starting, I usually enjoy the whole all-nighter project thing(I think!!):D Only one way to find out...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Hey Blanco, what the others said there is pretty spot on. You will be timetabled prettymuch 9-6 or 10-6 on some days. But that is not a strict timetable. Depending on how you work, you may spend up till 9.30 in your studio, cos thats when the porters kick you out. Or if you prefare working at home for studio, some people do that. Just make sure that you are in for the hours that are marked 'supervised studio' as this is important for desk crits etc.

As far as equipment is concerned, do not go buying everything that is on any list they give you. You will not use half of it!! In terms of getting a laptop. They are pretty cheap nowadays which is great. I know of a couple of friends who sold theirs to younger year students when they had finished 5th year as they didnt really need them and al the programmes students needed were already on them which was pretty sweet!!

Im in final year myself so if yuo have anymore questions or need any advice on anything, dont hesitate to ask. Just drop me a PM. I certainly wish i had someone to ask things when i first started!!

Best of Luck!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Hey Blanco, what the others said there is pretty spot on. You will be timetabled prettymuch 9-6 or 10-6 on some days. But that is not a strict timetable. Depending on how you work, you may spend up till 9.30 in your studio, cos thats when the porters kick you out. Or if you prefare working at home for studio, some people do that. Just make sure that you are in for the hours that are marked 'supervised studio' as this is important for desk crits etc.

As far as equipment is concerned, do not go buying everything that is on any list they give you. You will not use half of it!! In terms of getting a laptop. They are pretty cheap nowadays which is great. I know of a couple of friends who sold theirs to younger year students when they had finished 5th year as they didnt really need them and al the programmes students needed were already on them which was pretty sweet!!

Im in final year myself so if yuo have anymore questions or need any advice on anything, dont hesitate to ask. Just drop me a PM. I certainly wish i had someone to ask things when i first started!!

Best of Luck!!;)

Thanks I'd really appreciate that!! I'll probably have to take you up on that offer at some stage! ;)

Advertisement