Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat nav with speec camera notification + .. ?

• 22-08-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm looking for my first sat-nav system. Could some kind knowledgeable soul tell me what sat-nav system has most of the following facilities:

- Upcoming speed camera notification (ROI)
    - Handsfree bluetooth mobile phone interface
    - Large touchscreen
    - TV tuner and/or av input

Any tips much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Hey Mr. Flibble

I se you mention speed camera notifications. I know this exists in the UK but I was not aware it will be available here in Ireland... that is cool, will this be rolled out when all these new speed cameras are being put up soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

jk2001 wrote:
    I se you mention speed camera notifications. I know this exists in the UK but I was not aware it will be available here in Ireland... that is cool, will this be rolled out when all these new speed cameras are being put up soon?
    I'm only asking I'm afraid. I don't know if its available here. I'm getting the idea that its not.

Some of the sat nav systems say you can add your own points of interest. Do you know whats involved in doing that? Do you set up the coords on your computer and then download it to the sat nav?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are only a handful of speed cameras in Ireland so far but you can add them to your GPS yourself. Have a look here and somewhere in that thread you'll find people who have the list of current ones and how to add them to your device's.

It's not something that would be released in an "official" form though.

OK. Thats good enough.

Can you add your very own POIs though, without using a service like that? What must you know, the coords and side of the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Just curious, where are you looking at buying the GPS?

• Advertisement

I don't know yet. Have to find one I like first then look for somewhere that has it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Harvey Norman or Halfords usually have a good selection !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can you add your very own POIs though, without using a service like that? What must you know, the coords and side of the road?
    Here's the contents of my database: Garda HotSpots
    You're welcome to a copy. You can upload to your GPS device, and set proximity alerts.

Typically, I just save each of these as a Waypoint as I go past them..
    It saves information like:
    Coordinates, altitude (approximation).. You may need to correct the side of the road, based on the accuracy of the device at the time you recorded the waypoint.

For proper proximity alerts, you should associate a speed limit with each way point, so that you can set warnings based on going over the speed-limit.

Cool. Looks good.
    The Gards will never win the battle of technologys :)

The Gards will never win the battle of technologys :)
    Mobile Cameras. They'll get you every time.. :(

• Advertisement

Mobile Cameras. They'll get you every time.. :(
    In car camera, van recognition, GPS, 3G, database; no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

We will be making a download of speed trap locations available which you can upload onto your GPS device. This should be available by end of September. Check out www.irishspeedtraps.com and sign up for the mailing list to be notified when it's ready.

Nice site.

Taking this thread way off topic; do you happen to know do the Gardi have a red Gatso van? Seen white and dark green ones about.

Nice site.

Taking this thread way off topic; do you happen to know do the Gardi have a red Gatso van? Seen white and dark green ones about.
    I've only heard of and seen the white and dark green ones myself. Have you seen a red one about?

I've only heard of and seen the white and dark green ones myself. Have you seen a red one about?
    There was a red van on the side of the M1 Wednesday midday, south direction. Unfortunately I went by too fast to see the windows properly, but on the flip side, I'll know in a few weeks if there was a camera poking through :rolleyes:

Funnly enough, I was cruising along at 90mph a few cars behind a Gardi car for miles as I passed it.

There was a red van on the side of the M1 Wednesday midday, south direction. Unfortunately I went by too fast to see the windows properly, but on the flip side, I'll know in a few weeks if there was a camera poking through :rolleyes:

Funnly enough, I was cruising along at 90mph a few cars behind a Gardi car for miles as I passed it.
    And I suppose the Guards pulled over to see why the red van was stopped in the hard shoulder on the motorway? Thought not!

Let us know if you got the ticket. Were you doing 90mph or 90kmh?

Let us know if you got the ticket. Were you doing 90mph or 90kmh?

Option A.
    Will let you know.

Option A.
    Will let you know.
    Ouch! Good luck

Hi IrishSpeedTraps, site looks great and I'm really looking forward to the downloadable list of locations. Are you planning on making this available gratis, or via a subscription service?

Hi IrishSpeedTraps, site looks great and I'm really looking forward to the downloadable list of locations. Are you planning on making this available gratis, or via a subscription service?
    It will be a subscription service. We have a lot of expenses since the site has become very popular. We need to move the site to dedicated hosting and need to raise funds to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Hi IrishSpeedTraps,

I've been aware of your site for many years now. Well done, great site with great potential. I love your tagline with "Tax Collectors Ahead" becasue we all know that's exactly what they are when set up on the safest roads (typically dual carriageways or motorways) in the country with minimal chance of accident but maximum chance of "ching ching" in an excercise that's completely futile to improving safety on Irish roads.

If road safety was anywhere on their agenda, speed traps would be concentrated on accident black spots and the like where statistically the majority of road deaths have occurred but no, why do that when you can make your quota in a fraction of the time on a fine safe stretch of motorway.

I would welcome a garda comment on the above.

On a related note, I took my Tomtom Go 910 to France last week around Biarritz and I was so impressed with it. It picked up all the speed cameras and made a loud high pitched beep when approaching, with a metre countdown to them. Very effective. As for the other useful features such as finding the nearest petrol station when I was running on fumes, this was a blessing. Finding the nearest swimming pools when it was raining - great. All to the sound of either my daughter or my son giving the directions - priceless!

Thanks for the compliments jellybean :-)

Advertisement