Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt on 98 Passat ?

Options
  • 22-08-2007 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how often a timing belt needs to be replaced on a 98 Passat ? It's automatic also.

Is there any indication it needs to be replaced ?

How much is it likely to cost if it needs to be done?

The car has 124k on it & I believe the belt was done before I bought it two years ago. It had 56k on it when I bought it. It's in daily use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, it's every 60k. I'd be doing it again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Should be done every 50/60k miles imo.

If your not sure when it was done before you bought the car and with that mileage on it I would get it changed as soon as possible. Better safe than sorry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Prepare for a big bill too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Hmmmm....

Not what I wanted to hear...

Is there any indication it needs to be replaced ?

How much is it likely to cost if it needs to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Bill should be about €450 from a decent independent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't get it replaced and it snaps, chances are you looking at the cost of an engine rebuild or a new engine altogether. Alot cheaper to get the belt replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Maybe automatics are more expensive, but I got a timing belt done on a manual 96 Mazda 323F for €220 last month. Just to give an indication of price.... (Lucan area). Just the belt, not the pulley/tensioners, water pump etc.
    Water pump would've been another €100

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Automatics make no difference to a timing belt price wise.

The Passat is an awkward car to do the job on because of the engine design. A lot of disassembly is needed. It takes time, and costs extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Automatics make no difference to a timing belt price wise.

The Passat is an awkward car to do the job on because of the engine design. A lot of disassembly is needed. It takes time, and costs extra.
    What he said. The whole engine has to be removed AFAIR. The engine is mounted at 90 degrees to the way it is mounted in other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ballooba wrote:
    What he said. The whole engine has to be removed AFAIR. The engine is mounted at 90 degrees to the way it is mounted in other cars.

Yep - the engine is mounted logitudinally unlike most FWDs that are mounted transversley. There is no need to remove the engine. Still though, the job is more awkward than most. The front bumper, front bumper bar, front panel, radiator & radiator fan(s) need to be removed. Time consuming stuff leading to a higher labour charge. But once these parts are removed the job is relatively straight forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement