Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how healthy/unhealthy are baked beans on whoelmeal toast

Options
  • 22-08-2007 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

well?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

canned baked beans are mostly sugar so I'd reckon they're not too hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mack1 wrote:
    canned baked beans are mostly sugar so I'd reckon they're not too hot
    They are not so high actually, I wonder why they get such bad press all the time. Have a can beside me and it is 3.8% sugar of which some is probably from the beans i.e. not all white sugar added. Milk has a higher sugar content.

I find them very filling and only about 250kcal for a full tin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They'll certainly fill a gap from time t0o time in conjunction with an otherwise good diet...AND you can have a bubblebath afterwards!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Degsy wrote:
    They'll certainly fill a gap from time t0o time in conjunction with an otherwise good diet...AND you can have a bubblebath afterwards!:D

classic

but yeah the reduced sugar ones are not the worst in the world. Could definitely have worse than some beans and scrambled eggs on decent wholemeal toast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Degsy wrote:
    They'll certainly fill a gap from time t0o time in conjunction with an otherwise good diet...
    So you do not consider them that great? Is it only the sugar you have an issue with?

I sometimes drain the sauce off, the cook them with spices. they are only 20cent a tin for cheap ones, easy to prepare and cheaper than other dried beans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

rubadub wrote:
    So you do not consider them that great? Is it only the sugar you have an issue with?

I sometimes drain the sauce off, the cook them with spices. they are only 20cent a tin for cheap ones, easy to prepare and cheaper than other dried beans.

Well in fairness they are processed to buggery,they're cooked at very high temperatures,have large amounts of salt and other preservatives added to them and the sauce is probably a quarter by weight of the product.There's an idea that the more a food is processed by man the less nutritional benefit it will have and beans are certainly one of those foods.
    I've seen recipies for homemade baked beans too and they usually always require lots of sugar/molasses or ketchup.Try this one:
    http://www.abc.net.au/northcoast/stories/s1332953.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Gumbyman

rubadub wrote:

Will you give a recipe here if it's not too complicated please? Sounds intrigueing.

Cheers!

*I will NOT say 'spill the beans' under any circumstances. I'm classier than that.*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Degsy wrote:
    There's an idea that the more a food is processed by man the less nutritional benefit it will have and beans are certainly one of those foods.

That whole, "if it's natural it's healthy!" thing is a falacy. Weigh each thing on it's own merits.

Advertisement