Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting a DVD Player to a laptop

• 22-08-2007 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have a region-free DVD player and some region 1 DVDs which I would like to be able to play on my laptop. Is there a cable I can buy that will enable me to connect a DVD recorder to a laptop?
    By the way, my laptop's DVD player is a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ 845S. I have been unable to find a hack for it so far. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't waste your time with hardware hacks go buy AnyDVD and it will take care of everything you will be able to play the DVD's in any software player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

Thanks for that link. Unfortunately, my DVD drive is something called 'RPC2 protected' so the software doesn't work. It suggests that I search for a hack to break this but it sounds too risky: apprarently it could bugger up the entire thing if it goes wrong. So I would like advice on an alternative solution that I am considering: buying a region-free external USB DVD player. Any opinions on this idea? Thanks.

RPC2 is just the region coded into the drive AnyDVD defeats that as well, in special cases were you are still prompted like you were the help says;
    Region Code: Usually you do not need this function. The needed Region Code is always automatically adapted. But there are special cases (especially with US American DVDs) where the automatic selection doesn't work. If this is the case, please look for the Region Code on you package and insert it here.

With the disc in the drive right click the tray icon and see if the region code entry is present or go into the program settings and you should find it in there. I don't have any foreign DVD's so can't point out exactly where it is. Region codes for country's can be found here though the DVD's package should list it.

This is weird. I don't have the option to choose 'Region Code' when I right click the icon in the tray.
    Anyway, when I try to use AnyDVD, see attached for the message I get.

Right click tray icon select settings then go to Video DVD->Settings and you may see a region selection (a DVD must be in the drive for this to appear).

• Advertisement

Nothing there. I get this message....

Yeah it's related to problem 3 in the screenshot. A little bit of searching shows the problem is indeed specific to Panasonic/Matsushta drives, if you changed the region code of the drive in Windows device manager then you should be able to read the DVD but you can only make so many changes.

Once the region codes match you can then rip the DVD with AnyDVD to the HD and change back to region 2.

Alternatively get an external USB DVD drive or just buy a region free DVD player for your TV which was your original plan but hey we both learned a few things on the way ;) .

Yeah, thanks for all the suggestions. There are cheap (c. €50) region free external DVD drives available on ebay. Think I'll bid for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭dingding

8T8 wrote:
    Yeah it's related to problem 3 in the screenshot. A little bit of searching shows the problem is indeed specific to Panasonic/Matsushta drives, if you changed the region code of the drive in Windows device manager then you should be able to read the DVD but you can only make so many changes.

Once the region codes match you can then rip the DVD with AnyDVD to the HD and change back to region 2.

Alternatively get an external USB DVD drive or just buy a region free DVD player for your TV which was your original plan but hey we both learned a few things on the way ;) .

Be careful, most drives you can only make 5 changes and the drive is stuck at the last region code selected.

Advertisement