Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abaqus Help

• 22-08-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm attempting to build a model of a building on the south side to see what damage might accrue to it if a metro line went in under it and the floor dropped by a few centimetres (not for fun, its thesis time). And I'm using Abaqus (which I can't stand at this stage).

So I have the model more or less built, my query for those who know a bit about Abaqus is... Is there any way I can simulate displacing a section of the bottom of the model (to simulate the foundations dropping 5 cm) ?

Or would I have to constrain part of the base to be immovable and see what happens if I apply a downward force on the model (with the expectation that the model would only drop at the part of the base that isn't constrained? If that made sense at all...

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Yep you can do displacement based simulations in Abaqus, under the boundary conditions you can specify a displacement in the required direction.

I think its under the option for Encastre in BCs, rotation and Displacement, i'll check in work tomorrow and get back to you.

You can specify whether to:
    allow free movement along/about an axis - (leave the box blank)
    Stop movement along/about an axis - (Zero in the Box)
    Drive the point/area "x" - ("x" in the box)

If you have more questions, or to clarify the above ask away...

Advertisement