Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downtime

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    The backend fileserver for boards went a bit "weh" everything should be back online now.
    Danny
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Danny you can delete my thread so ;)

phew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Hurrah...something to distract me from work:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yay!!!! But if your going to have somedown time please make sure there is something entertaining in its place so I don't have to talk to the other half!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Nav menu at the top of the page is missing for me! (maybe I'm just special)

EDIT: T'is back now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Also alot of 404 errors on loading www.adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Any chance there could be a redirect to a page somewhere that says something like "Boards is down for now come back later"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hagar wrote:
    Any chance there could be a redirect to a page somewhere that says something like "Boards is down for now come back later"?

OR just "Boards is down time to do some work, spend time with loved ones or end it all."

Thank fúck it's back. I thought I'd have to work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Hagar wrote:

It wasn't a big deal, I was just out of contact for the evening - only took 5-10 mins to get it back on its feet this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sorry Regi, I'm not trying to make things difficult.:o

Last night I installed Encarta 2006 and it forces an install of .Net
    After I installed it I couldn't get back onto Boards and thought it was something that I had done so I spent a few hours installing an un-installing, tweaking and cursing. This morning I gave up and uninstalled Encarta and .Net and lo and behold Boards came back on at the first attempt. I know it was only a coincidence but it was a little frustrating too. A fallover downtime page could have saved me and possibly others a bit of grief.

Anyway no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Hagar wrote:
    Sorry Regi, I'm not trying to make things difficult.:o

Last night I installed Encarta 2006 and it forces an install of .Net
    After I installed it I couldn't get back onto Boards and thought it was something that I had done so I spent a few hours installing an un-installing, tweaking and cursing. This morning I gave up and uninstalled Encarta and .Net and lo and behold Boards came back on at the first attempt. I know it was only a coincidence but it was a little frustrating too. A fallover downtime page could have saved me and possibly others a bit of grief.

Anyway no big deal.
    lol! hate that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah phew, may have had to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hagar wrote:
    Unfortunately something like that would require a witness/failover server that had no other function but to make sure that all of the other servers are available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hagar wrote:

or space invadars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Could do with a fallover page alright. Then again, one of the biggest sites in the world, Blogger, fell over yesterday - and their page wasn't much more helpful.

Sorry for the downtime, if you want to vent some frustration, there's a great forum called whineybackstabbingwebmasters.com where you can bitch and speculate to your heart's content.

In the meantime, we'll do our best to try and keep things running smoothly, part-time though our effort may be right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah! What happened there? Must have dozed off for a second. Nice one chaps.:p

Ruu wrote:
    Ah! What happened there? Must have dozed off for a second. Nice one chaps.:p

You mean your not a Robot??? :eek: :p

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nav menu at the top of the page is missing for me! (maybe I'm just special)

EDIT: T'is back now.

it's still gone for me and the errors seem to be forcing boards to ignore some mouse clicks? or is that me going nuts? not seen that before, scrolling isn't working reliably and I can't click in new locations in edit post windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

regi wrote:
    It wasn't a big deal, I was just out of contact for the evening - only took 5-10 mins to get it back on its feet this morning.
    :eek: oh noes, you can't have a life!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

copacetic wrote:
    it's still gone for me and the errors seem to be forcing boards to ignore some mouse clicks? or is that me going nuts? not seen that before, scrolling isn't working reliably
    I got the scrolling problem too and I thought it was me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Downtime! Man didnt know what to do with all the time actually went to bed before 1am that a record since boards took me over

Glad your back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Didn't notice the downtime myself, was up and running in time for my early morning browse time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

regi wrote:
    It wasn't a big deal, I was just out of contact for the evening

With the greatest respect, regi, but boards.ie was down for 12 or 14 hours because your mobile was switched off? Maybe someone else could keep an eye out while you're not around?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Who? 24/7 NOC coverage is trés expensive and the admins have lives.

It's the intertubes, sometimes the tanks leak and valves seize up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SyxPak wrote:
    It's the intertubes, sometimes the tanks leak and valves seize up.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

SyxPak wrote:
    Who? 24/7 NOC coverage is trés expensive

Who said anything about paying someone? There are hundreds of people that moderate boards.ie 24/7 for free. There are plenty of people out there that would be honoured to be given the great responsibility to keep boards.ie up

Surely issues like security, physical access, etc. can be overcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

unkel wrote:
    There are plenty of people out there that would be honoured to be given the great responsibility to keep boards.ie up

Most of them couldn't partition a hard drive unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nesf wrote:
    I can do that.
    Self taught.

Sel;f high five. woooooooooooooooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nesf if that were true then 'Computers' and other tech boards would be much quieter than they are.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I taught two IT poeple how to partition a drive this summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nesf wrote:
    And most of those who do know how, would probably do it when it's not required :)

While issues of physical security can of course be overcome, there are other issues after that, which need to be considered. The more access/responsibility you give someone, the more they may want in return. For example - say I have been given physical access to the machines and a privileged login to the servers. In this case, I would have had to hop in my car and drive over to the NOC to sort this problem. I'm entitled to have my expenses paid, right? How does that work, I'm not an employee. If I invoice boards.ie, suddenly I'm a contractor, and that could be construed as a conflict of interests (as well as incurring more headache for me).

It's one thing for people to be happy to spend their online time looking after the forums, it's another entirely to ask them to spend their physical time and money to do the same.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a much bigger prospect than making someone a moderator.

Advertisement